Does anyone know how to get a sound like it on a Boss GT-8 pedal? I couldn't find anything on google.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Jack White just uses the Digitech Whammy, one octave down, with his Kay hollowbody. He doesn't have a chorus on his board.

I think he means chorus as in "a part of the song between verses", not like something you've got on your pedalboard.
On "Seven Nation Army", Jack white uses a slide on the chorus and for the solo he does the chorus (with a slight change) and a whammy pedal
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
hmm but there isn't a way to recreate that sound without buying a slide? if the slide is what makes the chorus.
Quote by TheQuailman
I think he means chorus as in "a part of the song between verses", not like something you've got on your pedalboard.

Oh shit, lol, that's embarrassing. Umm Jack has his MXR Micro Amp on normally, and then kicks on his Big Muff for leads. And Seven Nation Army is played in open A (from high to low: E C# A E A E) with a slide, this is correct. and I feel the slide part on the chorus is essential to get the sound. just use a light overdrive and hit the strings hard - that's how you get the white stripes sound.

EDIT:

Quote by GangsterLi
On "Seven Nation Army", Jack white uses a slide on the chorus and for the solo he does the chorus (with a slight change) and a whammy pedal

he only uses the whammy for the bassline. he doesn't use it in the solo. he just uses the slide an octave up on the guitar.

2edit: seriously TS, get yourself a slide (a cheap one will do), tune to open A, and play some seven nation army. it's absolutely great fun, I promise, especially the solo.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Apr 12, 2011,
I would've if it was that easy. But going Open A for one song in a setlist of 35 songs isn't going to work. That's why I'm searching for solutions. :p
You can downtune the A string to a G and slide it that way. Just make sure you don't hit the other strings.

Also you can use pretty much any smooth object as a slide, I've used a screwdriver, forks, whatever's handy, really.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Can't I just play the slide on regular tuning with the E chord like this

E
A
D-9
G-9
B-9
E

I never played with a slide. but I guess this would be hard to do.
haha. that's more authentic ofcourse.

So you think a slide with light overdrive would do? I'm gonna try that. I've played slide with a pencil once. :p
yeah you should be right. jack white usually uses a fender twin, which is rather hard to get amp distortion out of, so he boosts that with an mxr micro amp. this is his rhythm tone. but yeah any light-ish overdrive should be able to match that.
ok. topic is solved. However it surprises me that we dont have how to create that effect thread. would be damn handy
Quote by Darkmaus
ok. topic is solved. However it surprises me that we dont have how to create that effect thread. would be damn handy

There's a settings thread.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Darkmaus
I would've if it was that easy. But going Open A for one song in a setlist of 35 songs isn't going to work. That's why I'm searching for solutions. :p

... You don't have to tune it open. I play it all the time with the slide in standard.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--