hey, i know this is kind of an impossible thing to get over. but i'm in grade 12, i am 17 years old. i do our high schools "music extension" performance class.
i play guitar, i like playing it, and i can perform in front of others, but when it's people staring at me, judging me, like in an assignment performance, i just get so freaked out, and i mess up. i have a concert at the end of the year, and i'm worried i'll get up there and mess up and fail.

what are some things i can do to overcome stage fright? or just learn to control it or something. please help me.
Last edited by spadge at Apr 12, 2011,
I can't help much because it's not something I really have a problem with. The best advice I can give is to not think of it as an examination, but just as something you really enjoy. If I take performing seriously, I worry and mess up. If I go on stage with the intention of doing what I enjoy, I don't mess up.
MANCHESTER UNITED
Are you in year 12 or are you 12 years old?

My bass player smokes a joint or has a couple of drinks to overcome his stage fright. "Practice makes perfect", the more shows you do the more natural it will feel. After a while, playing shows will be like part of your everyday life
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by SharkyR
The best advice I can give is to not think of it as an examination, but just as something you really enjoy.

This. I used to have stage fright too. I used to try and suppress the 'feeling', if you know what I mean (IE telling yourself to calm down, focussing on breathing, ignoring it).
And somewhere in the run I found out that it's actually better to go with the feeling. Because part of it is fright and part of it is just adrenaline which will actually help your performance, and keep your energy up.
Quote by Frost_Power
**** the pit, i'm finding a real forum

If people are forced to look at you because of like a talent show where watching is required,the only thing I can say to you then is think as if you were playing for people who are actually interested or say to yourself I'm going to blast everyones head of with my music!
When people actually came to watch you close your eyes take a deep breath and say ''These people came for ME and my band''.
I don't guarantee you it'll work since I never performed for a large group.
Quote by spadge
hey, i know this is kind of an impossible thing to get over. but i'm in grade 12, i am 17 years old. i do our high schools "music extension" performance class.
i play guitar, i like playing it, and i can perform in front of others, but when it's people staring at me, judging me, like in an assignment performance, i just get so freaked out, and i mess up. i have a concert at the end of the year, and i'm worried i'll get up there and mess up and fail.

what are some things i can do to overcome stage fright? or just learn to control it or something. please help me.

Hi
I understand what you are feeling.... you have to remember you are there because you are talented and everyone gets a little freaked out... your not alone... just go with it and all will work out....you might be scared due to the fact you feel your not ready.... practice practice.
and ask god for support. You will be calm.... just try it
Most of what I was going to say has been posted but I'll just add this.

You'll pretty much never play your best when you are nervous and in front of an audience. This is true for practical everyone because everyone naturally plays better when there's no pressure and when they're relaxed.

Because of this, if you get to the point where you can just about play a piece on a good day while practicing, then as soon as you get up on stage you are pretty much guaranteed to mess it up. But if you can play the piece in your sleep then you're much more likely to get through it. You might mess up a few times because of nerves but you're fingers will know where to go and you'll be able to keep on playing.

So basically, prepare as much as possible. Learn whatever you are going to play untill you can hit the notes barely thinking about it. This is not only a good way to avoid messing up on stage, it's really what you should be aiming for all the time as a musician, because if you have to concentrate on playing the right notes you won't be able to play with as much emotion as you can when the notes aren't an issue.
Of course you can overcome stagefright The best way to do it is to just play in front of people as much as you can, itll get better and better, believe me ive had problems playing in front of like 3 people before but now i can play in front of a big crowd with ease Of course you get a little nervous but as soon as you begin it realeases
I get this problem a lot. Actually, I can play guitar fine, especially because my friend is usually with me when we play, so we share the guitar duties and everything is fine, since it takes the attention off of me. My main problem is singing - I'm not a very good singer, but at times I can hit the notes alright and sound pretty decent, I just cant sing in front of people. My friend is the same way. So because of this, we will usually start on a song called The Sun by Tigers Jaw, which has two vocals comes in harmonizing at the same towards the beginning of the song. This way, it sorta takes the pressure off of each of us. Thats how I get calmed, I think that I wont be alone, they wont listen to me. Then eventually, Ill get comfortable and Ill want them to listen to me.

Hope that helped?
I think it's all been covered. Know your songs inside out. Practice. Get out there. You have until the end of the year to get over this so you have more than enough time to get your performance confidence up.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i sort of detach and watch myself get nervous. i even see these waves of light and dark spreading from my body sometimes. it's not something i am causing, but something my body is going through, like my heart beating, which sort of frees me up to focus on other things, as opposed to being locked into experiencing it. i usually get better responses if i get nervous than if i don't.
I played a couple of gigs 4 my school at the Sydney Opera House and one thing is if you act like your having a fun nerve free time you will have a fun nerve free time =)
Quote by spadge

Be as prepared as you can. Accept that you have to do it. Embrace it.
shred is gaudy music
If you eat some thing sugary like a chocolate bar it gives you an extra energy boost, that will help a good bit.

Make a good time warming up and playing before you go on stage, so your familiarised with what your doing.

And finally, just try to enjoy it.
Comfort with your atmposphere and experience. My band plays in bars where up to a hundred people will come out and often before playing we'll go out to an open mic at the same bar the week before and play to 10 to 20 people. Not only do we get to promote the upcoming gig (which the bar loves too), but we get comfortable with the atmposphere.

I personally don't get nervous much anymore after playing for 10+ years, but when I was your age I still did. What it comes down to is enjoying yourself to the point where you cant focus on being nervous. When you get on stage or in front of your audience act and display confidence and they will pick up on it. The nerves shuold fade after a song or too. Use that adrenaline and redirect its momentum into something that can contribute to your playing. Like you said you overthink stagefright and you cant concetrate 100% and will mess up. Instead of thinking of what people think tap your foot or move around to keep your mind occupied. Trust me, if you're putting on a good stage show, you shouldn't have enough time to feel nervous.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Apr 17, 2011,
I had to quit a band that I loved because of stage fright.

I used to get excited and loved the rush of being on stage but it got really weird after a loss in the family .. I was down and I didn't really want to perform but had booked gigs. Kept working, kept feeling worse and eventually started to have real terror on stage.

I did not handle it well.

I tried to drink the fear away -- which was sorta like trying to put fore out with gasoline.

But -- that was my experience .. not everyone is the same.

I hear that beta blockers help.

I also know from experience that taking small gigs on a regular basis helps.

It is also VERY helpful to learn about breathing and self-relaxation. The body wants to take over, but your mind can override that by letting your own natural relaxation reflex kick in.

I think this is good for any performer. Learning to breathe, notice areas of tension in your body and let them relax though systematic practice.

The better you get at playing and the better you get at self-relaxation, the better you will be in front of an audience.
Before I ever go onto stage I'm a total wreck backstage! Nerves and Adrenaline kick in, but once you are on stage and get past the opening you will be fine.
You have to trust your talent as a guitarist, and i'm sure you are a great one.

My first performance was at my schools talent show infront of 1,000 people from my School. I played Eagle Eye Cherry's "Save Tonight" and had only been playing the guitar about 6 months. I hated the wait, got onstage and it is almost in every guitarists blood, a sort of stage awareness. Your ability and personality take over the nerves and you will be fine. If you enjoy it the audience/examiner will see this, and will make them enjoy the performance as well.

Hope this helps
“Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you’ll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you’re gonna be rewarded.”
- Jimi Hendrix
A few weeks ago I played in school, infront of all my friends. Trust me, if your not playing first then don't look on stage to watch others (this personally makes me more nervous, but it may help you out).

When I walk onto stage and the adrenaline kicks in, try to use it to your advantage. It may sound strange but use the feeling to block out the crowd, think about playing so much that you dont even think of who's in the audience. It sounds strange but it's something you can't explain over the internet, you have to experience it for yourself.

Good luck.