Poll: Do you like/mind the cable out the front of the guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you like/mind the cable out the front of the guitar?
Yeeaaah, what's that about?!
11 46%
It kinda makes me happy. :P
13 54%
Voters: 24.
Is there a reason for the output jack to come out of the front of Stratocasters? It looks good but don't you think the front of the body should be left alone in terms of cables and stuff?

Edit: "it looks good" meaning the chrome jack plate or whatever it is. The cable I have has a silver end so it kinda goes with it but still. Wouldn't mind it not being there.
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Last edited by Rich EpiWildkat at Apr 12, 2011,
I think they put it there originally to protect it as much as possible from knocks.
You have to remember that even though the Strat looks as good as it does, it was designed in a pure function over form manner. Everything on a strat is that way for a reason.
Quote by TrueBlues
I think they put it there originally to protect it as much as possible from knocks.
You have to remember that even though the Strat looks as good as it does, it was designed in a pure function over form manner. Everything on a strat is that way for a reason.

this

fender tried to make the most comfortable, practical guitar...and kind of managed
That's actually my favorite way for it to be
I don't like when it sticks straight out from the front of the body though
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

It's annoying with sticking out the side sometimes, cause if you're sitting on a sofa (rarely there would be this scenario) and it's plugged in, the cable starts digging into the sofa and gets really uncomfortable and annoying.
the only issue i have with the strat jack plate is it makes angled jacks more annoying, and because i mainly use SGs i use angled jacks in order to reduce the likelihood of ripping a chunk of wood out of the front of the guitar.

other than that it's a great design IMO. you can see what you're doing when you're plugging it in, which makes it a lot easier.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
only problem I have with my strat is the whammy bar cant get past my cable because it pokes out the front, but if i got a 90 degree cable end it would be a complete non issue for me.

plus I really dig that its easy to find the hole unlike my bc rich...
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Personally, I hate the cable being on top of the guitar. I prefer side jacks. But then again, I hate anything other than the pickups and pickup selector on the front of a guitar (stupid volume pots >
Hebrews 12: 29 "For our God is a consuming fire."

Warmoth humbucker-tele (specs soon to change), EHX 44 magnum power amp into 1x12 with WGS Retro 30 and a Barber Electronics Dual Unlimited.
I've had guitars with all of those and none of them really bother me. I think it's easier to leave my strat plugged in than my les paul, just because the cord doesn't impact how it sits on a stand or anything. But it's really not a big deal either way.

The ones I don't understand are the ones that plug directly into the front of a guitar (like an SG). I guess with a 90-degree cord it's not a big deal, but I still think it looks weird.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
That's actually my favorite way for it to be
I don't like when it sticks straight out from the front of the body though

angeled cable. I play a semi hollow. So, I use them. When I take my guitar to practice, they only have straight ones. its not a big issue though.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
Quote by jakesc8
angeled cable. I play a semi hollow. So, I use them. When I take my guitar to practice, they only have straight ones. its not a big issue though.

take your own cable to practice?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
angled cables look cooler imo
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
It makes a lot of sense to me. It's right where you can see it and the recess of the jack means you're not going to scratch the top if you miss plugging in. It's clearly a reaction to the telecaster jack's lack of user-friendliness. It's also a cheaper construction, since the route is shorter and simpler, and the mounting screws are perpendicular to a flat surface, unlike on the telecaster.
I like it aesthetically, too.
Quote by grimms
It's annoying with sticking out the side sometimes, cause if you're sitting on a sofa (rarely there would be this scenario) and it's plugged in, the cable starts digging into the sofa and gets really uncomfortable and annoying.

This so much. I hate the jacks that stick straight out of the side of the guitar. I've broken so many jacks because I sit down forgetting that my cable's plugged in.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi