Hey guys, I have a buddy in America who is coincidently going to German in June. He's offered to send me a guitar I will be buying in America and he's going to take it to Germany for me and send it over from there.

Question is, would a guitar in a box (or possibly a hardcase for that matter) survive a plane or a ferry over from Germany? If it wont what sort of measures will I need to take to make sure my guitar gets shipped over fine? Just plenty of bubble wrap or will he need to do more here?

Thanks UG.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
A fitted hard-case would be perfect, but I've had someone send me a bass in a softcase inside a cardboard box before, and it was fine, so I think you have a fair amount of leeway with what will survive
moulded hardcase would be your best bet, just out of curiousity, where are you? so we can get an idea how long the boat/plane journey will take and how many people it has to pass through/how many people havce access to it.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
You can never be too careful, but I do understand that it costs money. A standard hardcase is usually built up to airline strength, I personally would go with that. But if you want something more affordable then you may want to go with what Wolffgang said.
Quote by Dempsey68
moulded hardcase would be your best bet, just out of curiousity, where are you? so we can get an idea how long the boat/plane journey will take and how many people it has to pass through/how many people havce access to it.

I'm in Newcastle Upon Tyne UK.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'm having a guitar shipped from Japan. The guy says he uses 10 meters of bubble wrap and double boxes the guitars that don't ship in a hard case.
Best option is a hardshell case wrapped in bubble wrap. If there's no hard case, put the guitar in a garbage bag or two, then pack it tightly in a box with newspaper, and put that box inside another box with bubble wrap. The worst option that will still work is the guitar tightly packed with newspaper in an oversized box. Don't ever use packing peanuts.
I've had 3 guitars shipped from America to the UK. 2 came in a molded hardcase with just a thin layer of some kind of plastic cover (felt a bit like a sheet). The other one was still in it's original box which was quite heavily bubblewrapped and filled with polystyrene beads. All made it over via plane by USPS without a single mark. I would recommend using them if possible.
I had mine shipped from the states with FedEx. It came in the standard hardcase, which was in turn inside a thin cardboard box. FedEx couldnt treat it any better because it arrived without a blemish.
Gear:
PRS Tremonti SE with PRS USA Tremonti pickups
2001 Ibanez RG470
Peavey Bandit 112
Fender Superchamp XD
USA Jackson SL1
Just had an update. Going to have to put the guitar in the hold of a plane from America to Germany, would the pressure kill the guitar or what do I do?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100