so I just got my strat back from the shop. I gave it to em to clean the fingerboard, because there was this layer of shit on it that I couldnt even scrape off. long story short the guy was like yeah, we can clean that mess off for you but we'll have to charge you for a set up and restring. so fine whatever, I just want that shit off the fretboard.

so I get it back and now the action seems way high and bends fret out after the 12th fret. Now, I havent actually played the ting in years, so it may have been fretting out a long time ago, but could it be something they did to the truss rod?
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
seems like they may have actually adjusted everything... wrong! (if they did actually do it, rather than it being there before)

hold the guitar up and have a look along the edge of the fretboard/down the neck and see if it's bent either up or down. otherwise it may be the intonation if they messed with them screws...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
yeah, tell them that intonation is bad, the should do it for you for no extra cost if they messed up
nah, im not taking back. I really prefer to set up my own instruments, just not sure what to do about it fretting out.

the neck seems mostly straight, but then curved at the nut, but thats probably an optical illusion from the way the headstock is got that dip in it instead of being angled...

how does intonaion affect fretting out btw?

Crate EL-10G
i dunno. not much. 25-30 bucks maybe including the new strings. well worth it imo, I had spent like 2 hours scrubbing it and made no headway.

Crate EL-10G
you have to understand that thats the only thing i can say... when you say you like setting up your guitars, but you payed $35 for a fretboard cleaning.. you could get a bottle of fretboard cleaner for $4

you screwed yourself man..the best you could do is go in and ask them to lower the action for you, but walk in like you know what youre talking about

cause honestly, the dude is thinking he just got another sucker... you wanted a cleaning, and he suckered you into a $35 mediocre setup, most shops make alot of their profits solely by doing shit like that to new players.

just tell the guy you want your action lowered, and if he says you have to pay, be stern and
tell him you didnt ask for the action to be changed in the first place, you were just expecting an intonation and cleaning
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 12, 2011,
it might need some time for the neck to re-adjust to the string tension again especially if they left it without any strings on for a long time. do you know how long ago they restrung it? i suspect they might've raised the action as a failed "quick solution" to that... i'd get your money back for the 'setup' they charged you for if i were you.

and intonation has absoslutely nothing to do with fretting out whatsoever... it is related to tuning, and nothing else.

edit: also, this^

shops do tend to screw people over like that with setups. my friend once had intonation problems because of old strings - old strings tend to make the intonation go flat. he took it to a shop for them to adjust it, and they adjusted it without replacing the strings, so as soon as he changed the strings, the intonation was crap. most shops that claim to do setups don't actually do them properly. you need to see how well their guitars that they are selling are set up.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Apr 12, 2011,
lol Im glad to pay money man. I dont care if I got "ripped off" because this shop kicks ass, its by far the best within an 2 hour drive. So my choices are pay more at this shop and keep their doors open or drive for 2 hours to get to the next best thing.

and really the actions isnt all that high. its like 1.6mm so I mean comparatively to my main guitar its almost twice as high. but its not like its something retarded like 3mm...

all I care about is the fretting out, and considering in the 3 years since I last played this guitar my bends have gotten much bigger, I cant say it wasnt a problem already and just never noticed it.

Crate EL-10G
how old is your strat? the strats from the early 80s on back had a 7.25 fretboard radius which is known to fret out at times. some reissue models have that radius as well. most probqbly you have afret problem though. sounds like you need the fret where the problem is occuring to leveled.
If it frets out after the 12th fret your neck angle is wrong. They probably took the neck off to clean it and I'd bet there was a shim in there they didn't put it back. You can raise the saddles (bridge height) a little or take off the neck and put a hardwood shim on the neck side of the pocket to slightly tilt the neck towards the face of the guitar. I don't think its totally the truss rod because it would buzz and play weird all over the place, not just past the 12th fret.
gaaah! I guess this guitar just became deco. It really just sounds like too much work.

Crate EL-10G
Quote by satanicgurrl
gaaah! I guess this guitar just became deco. It really just sounds like too much work.

What?! You can fix it in like 30 minutes. You just need a screwdriver and a tuner to set the intonation. Maybe an allen wrench to set the truss. Is it a real strat or some POS copy?
dude put it on ebay as fish oil pills and ill buy it from you if youre not down to fix it..
dont get me wrong, I could never part with it. I just really no longer see myself putting any more money/effort into it at this time.

Crate EL-10G
Money, Time and Effort are all parts of playing any musical instrument, dont let this falter what your heart really wants to do. I would never give up so easily on one of my guitars, wait I lie my Terada Acoustic gets NO love at all its very lucky it hasnt been smashed like the majority of its relatives. If your car needed a brake job you wouldn't take it to the wrecker and write it off would you?
if it was just brakes, no. but if it needed new brakes, lifters, cam bearings, and a torque converter AND i had other cars, then yeah probably would send it to the scrap yard.

Crate EL-10G
In that case it would have been a lemon and you should firebomb the establishment that sold it to you...BUT thats like an extreme scenario case!
Quote by satanicgurrl
if it was just brakes, no. but if it needed new brakes, lifters, cam bearings, and a torque converter AND i had other cars, then yeah probably would send it to the scrap yard.

You would fix it if you really loved it... Imagine all the times to get sick or sad and your guitar is always there for you, unconditionally.

If you don't want to give it the respect it deserves, at least give it a proper viking pyre and send it on its way. That way it will keep the rest of us from being depressed knowing that a perfectly good Strat is just sitting there in disarray unable to be played.
Last edited by samhell at Apr 14, 2011,