Today Onqel finally released the first public beta of the highly anticipated X50 amp sim, which is a simulation of the Peavey 5150 head, including power amp with a bunch of tweakability, different power tube models and what not. Crazy!

Here's the original topic with download and everything: http://www.theserinaexperiment.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=86
And do check out the rest of the forum, there's a ton of awesome plugins all over the place.

Now for those of you who are just scratching your head at all of this, check out this very informative (albeit somewhat outdated) guide: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250
If you find any bugs and/or something that sounds off about the simulation please post in the x50 topic over at the TSE forum, or you could post it here, doesn't matter, as long as Onqel sees it.

Note that auto-quality has not yet been implemented, so currently it just mutes the plugin. Stick to low quality when playing.

PS: This plugin is still in beta phase, so don't go spreading the dll all over the internet please. Onqel would become very angry if you did, and you wouldn't like him when he's angry...
Last edited by Ascendant at Apr 17, 2011,
cool
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
yay. the engl one was great. I quite like 5150s so it's neat to see a new one out.

wish I could try it out.
Wow, i tested it in Reaper, i liked it's sound more than LePou's Lecto, there were no bugs.

On the other hand, it's CPU load is bigger than anything i have ever seen but probably that is because it is beta.

It sounds really good after the first few minutes of using it, i will test this further.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Aye, it has quite the CPU consumption because it hasn't been optimized yet. If your DAW starts running slow with only a couple of instances, bounce your tracks and only activate FX on the one you're currently working on.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'm gonna try this when I get home from work tonight ^.^
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
way to come through Onqel
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
You know, if I see one more awesome looking amp sim/plug-in that is not AU-compatible, I might end up getting into amp sim creation myself, 'cos it's getting so frustrating wanting to try this stuff with Logic!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
wow, even has Bias. ****in awesome...wish i had a faster computer
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Apr 13, 2011,
By far the best sounding ampsim I have ever used. Little to no bugs, very very little noise, and it just sounds orgasmic. Give it some EQing at the end of your FX chain and this baby sounds identical to the real thing.
Onqel, has impressed me yet again.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Okay I will start by saying I was unfamiliar Onqel before this. So I opened up the X50 and through keifer behind it. Play an E5 and even with the settings all at 5 I was impressed on the "red" channel. I actually jammed on this setting for a while. I then moved the knobs until I found what I want and played with the pre-tubes. The red channel sounds awesome. It was missing something though so I through a very small reverb behind it and BAM there it was. I am really liking the high gain sounds. I am a rhythm guitarist in my band and some of these tones I cam up with in just like an hour was awesome! I had no problems dialing in a lead either and throwing down a few pinches. After playing high gain for a while I rolled it back and got some excellent alt rock sounds.

The green channel. I know the notes say the green channel needs work and I agree. At first I was having trouble getting the ton I want, but eventually I found a nicey blues lead tone, that I love (and sounds very similar to my roommates lead tone he gets on his Peavy amp). I hammered out some chords and got a great slight crunch.

I'm excited to see what gets done to the green channel. I am definitely keeping and eye on this ampsim. For high gain I am really loving this thing. Cleans are a little tougher to get the sound I want from, but I did eventually get it, but I will be interested in seeing what they do to change the green channel.

Great ampsim. I am gonna have to check other products.

EDIT: I would also like toe it doesn't take up as much system resource as POD Farm but is about 10% more than LeCto. I imagine this is going to be fixed though once its complete.
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 13, 2011,
sawweeeeT! can't wait to jam with it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Yeah he said he's going to improve the green channel and performance among other things before a final release. I too am really excited to see what he does to further improve the green channel. Though I think the less gainy Red channel mode in x50 (6505+ red channel I believe it's modeled after, the other red channel after the 6505/5150) is just spectacular. Also the 5150 was never that good for cleans to be honest so I don't expect any Fender tones when I roll off the gain.
Quote by Ascendant
e it's modeled after, the other red channel after the 6505/5150) is just spectacular. Also the 5150 was never that good for cleans to be honest so I don't expect any Fender tones when I roll off the gain.

I don't like fender tones so I am glad I don't get those lol but I did get a really nice bluesy tone off the green channel (using PRS SE Custom). Once this baby stats using less CPU this is going to be my high gain recording amp, but for the amount its taking on 3.4 quad core it just doesn't make sense with the alternatives especially for my more electronic and industrial rock songs.

Does the X30 have a much different sound and what is it based off of?
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 15, 2011,
The x30 is just a preamp so you'd want to have a standalone power amp before running it into an impulse, and your only option is pretty much the revalver power amps since there are no others (that I know of). It's modeled after the Engl e530, so yes it has a very different sound.
I wanna make clear that i will be able to get the best out of the new version (B3) so i have to ask this:

I put my ampsim effect chain on tracks with .wavs of clean DI guitar recordings. How loud those wavs should be? My dry DI recordings are pretty quiet (they are like peaking around -18db so their average volume is below -20db)

Isn't it too low? (wouldn't it be like playing into a real guitar amp with the guitars volume knob always on 1?)
Last edited by Daneeka at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Daneeka
I wanna make clear that i will be able to get the best out of the new version (B3) so i have to ask this:

I put my ampsim effect chain on tracks with .wavs of clean DI guitar recordings. How loud those wavs should be? My dry DI recordings are pretty quiet (they are like peaking around -18db so their average volume is below -20db)

Isn't it too low? (wouldn't it be like playing into a real guitar amp with the guitars volume knob always on 1?)

Well think of it this way. Say -20dB is your average dry recording...well -20dB is going into your real amp. So really the same exact sound (not true as your interface amps it a little bit but lets assume it doesn't) is going into the amp sim. So its really not different at all its the same volume just going into different pre-amps and then into amps.
Quote by FireHawk
Well think of it this way. Say -20dB is your average dry recording...well -20dB is going into your real amp. So really the same exact sound (not true as your interface amps it a little bit but lets assume it doesn't) is going into the amp sim. So its really not different at all its the same volume just going into different pre-amps and then into amps.

i thought that ampsim VSTs are calibrated to an (average) input volume level where they behave the most similar to the amp they are trying to copy. so if you record louder than that (average) input level then the ampsim will be too distorted, if you go below that level then it will be too clean.

(sometimes some VST makers specify at what level their plugins sound the "best", like waves vintage modeling stuff should be used around -18db)
Did you set your interface preamp to an appropriate gain level? The peaks should generally be around -6dbfs, that's when you dig into the strings. Alu wrote a very informative document about the input knob on amp sims, you'll find it bundled with his plugins if you download one.
Quote by Ascendant
Did you set your interface preamp to an appropriate gain level? The peaks should generally be around -6dbfs, that's when you dig into the strings. Alu wrote a very informative document about the input knob on amp sims, you'll find it bundled with his plugins if you download one.

the reason i set the levels on my interface so low is that i can hear a fuzz like background noise behind notes, especially on the low E. I think i have never heard that noise when i was playing through a clean tube amp. It get's weaker after EQing and cabsims but it still bugs me.

i made a recording it a while ago, this was my friend playing a strat with super dead strings while i was monitoring the software and the hardware that i see no clippings.

actually setting the levels this low did not solved it. i am pretty sad about it because i saw good things about the interface over the internet.

here's the raw recording of the problem, it's more prominent around 20sec where he plays the low E with fingers, making sure that there are no (or not too much) string noise. actually this fuzzy stuff seems to be independent from signal levels and it happened both on a macbook pro and on a thinkpad with win7 and reaper.

http://soundcloud.com/dontpostthepear/fail
Last edited by Daneeka at Apr 17, 2011,
Uhm, just one question, what interface are you using? Almost sounds like fret buzz.
Quote by Ascendant
Uhm, just one question, what interface are you using? Almost sounds like fret buzz.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=86&cat=9&id=150

btw if i plug in my soundcard's output into one of the interface's input then it does not do that. if i use a bass guitar then it's more easy to hear.
Hot damn, I'm liking this. However, wish it had the mid sweep that the nick crowe 8505 had, while not really authentic.. its a great feature.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
As soon as I plug in the sim my Cubase freezes and makes this freezing noise.

What should I do? :/

My computer ain't all that bad, you don't need a gaming computer do you? Because it's fairly powerful accually.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
I have a question about this, I have the X30 and i get a horrible fizz, even after running it through Boogex with an IR.....what's wrong??