just a very quick question really

wanna increase the gauge of my strings from a set or 42's to a set of 46's on a jackson licensed floyd rose.
what adjustments would i have to make to the floyd to do this?

thanks guys
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I would think about adding a spring to the back to pick up slack from the change in string tension.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
just a very quick question really

wanna increase the gauge of my strings from a set or 42's to a set of 46's on a jackson licensed floyd rose.
what adjustments would i have to make to the floyd to do this?

thanks guys

I'd suggest getting some professional at guitar center to do it... If you REALLLY want to <u><b><i>[Legal Notice](And I'm not liable for any damages)[/Legal Notice]</i></b></u> , then I would suggest a SLIGHT adjustment to loosen up on the strings.
Quote by bobafettacheese
I would think about adding a spring to the back to pick up slack from the change in string tension.

I wouldn't do that if there's already three springs. You can always adjust the screws in the back and when changing string gauge, you could check that your neck is in the right angle after you've tuned your guitar. Of course, if the springs aren't tight enough, you might also want to look for tighter springs.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

edit: and no, you wont need another spring, i went from super light slinkys to 10-46
all i did was moved where a spring was.
originally they were like this /|\ , then i put them like this |\|, it evened the tension out nicely.

for some reason this guy is trying to scare you away from adjusting it yourself.... which is complete bullshit. you wont break anything adjusting spring tension. im doubting he has a FR equipped axe.

I completely set up my FR when i got my jackson, and i had never even seen one before..

just put the strings on one by one and get it around correct tuning, it wont be possible cause of the angle the bridge will be at

and if you can, do this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQT9-Y0R9A

I used a piece of a wooden paint stirrer i cut off to block mine.
it's very simple
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by SKArface McDank
for some reason this guy is trying to scare you away from adjusting it yourself.... which is complete bullshit. you wont break anything adjusting spring tension. im doubting he has a FR equipped axe.

I completely set up my FR when i got my jackson, and i had never even seen one before..

just put the strings on one by one and get it around correct tuning, it wont be possible cause of the angle the bridge will be at

and if you can, do this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQT9-Y0R9A

I used a piece of a wooden paint stirrer i cut off to block mine.
it's very simple

I agree with you, it isn't difficult at all.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I don't even bother to block mine when changing the strings. Just put the strings on and bring them all up to tension evenly just like tightening lug nuts on a car tire. The bridge will lift up into position. Once it's tuned, if the bridge isn't at the correct angle then loosen or tighten the springs and retune. It's just an iterative process of tuning each string over and over until everything falls into place.
dont listen to him... block it if youre changing string gauges... or else youre going to be in for a hell of a time for the next 2 1/2 hours
i always block it when i'm restringing it and i know about adjusting the springs if it's needed, just wondering if there's any other adjustments like intonation or any truss rod adjustments needed?
thanks for the input tho guys
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook