So for many months i have very on and off been practising the solo from Buried Alive by Avenged Sevenfold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PRfDJQY_Y8

The only part i never ever ever make any progress on is the first sweeping part. The solo begins at 4:00 and this particular lick at 4:34-4:38.

I'm a pretty average sweep picker, but for the life of me i can not make any progress what so ever on this particular sweep pattern.

E|17-12----------12-19-12-17-12----------12-19-12-17-12---------12-17-12-16-12------12
B|--------13---13----------------------13---13-------------------13---13-------------------13--13
G|-----------14----------------------------14-------------------------14--------------------------13

3 string sweeps can be a huge pain for me, but this one in particular because it's a massive struggle for me to reach the 19th fret for the pulloff, so for the majority of the time i have to pick it, which just makes the picking sequence a real ****over.

I was wondering if anyone knew any way i could improve on this. I've tried going slower lots and lots, but i still can't seem to do it.
If anyone has any sort of tips it would be great, or knows of any licks very similar to this yet easier which could somehow assist in getting better.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you (:
Last edited by vayne92 at Apr 12, 2011,
I did consider that, but in many cases i like to stay as true as i can to the way the original is played, and it's played using regular pulloffs :S
I'd rather not resort to it but it could be an option.
Simply practising this passage over and over would be counter-productive. So, my advice would be to practise other styles of music with similar stretches. In fact, when improvising and jamming, try incorporating this stretch into what you play.

That way, performing the large stretch will become second nature.
Quote by dr83
Sweep tap.

This.

If you can't reach it, that's that. Or learn to stretch. Like, for serious. 19-12 isn't a terribly big stretch. Just practice it at low speeds.

[GELDIT]
That's a really slow sweep. Like, for reals. just practice the Hell out of it. But that's not a tough passage if you stop trying to muscle through it and bothered slowing down to the point where that stretch isn't difficult to make.
Last edited by Geldin at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by Geldin
This.

If you can't reach it, that's that. Or learn to stretch. Like, for serious. 19-12 isn't a terribly big stretch. Just practice it at low speeds.

[GELDIT]
That's a really slow sweep. Like, for reals. just practice the Hell out of it. But that's not a tough passage if you stop trying to muscle through it and bothered slowing down to the point where that stretch isn't difficult to make.

Pretty much this.

Move it up on the fretboard so the distance is farther? Get that down at a slow speed and you will find that the smaller distance in 12 to 19 is nothing at all.

Other then tapping, stretching farther, or practicing a farther distance, I am not sure what you can really do.
Last edited by Dangertux at Apr 12, 2011,
The best way is to work on your stretching. When I first started playing, my guitar teacher gave me a fantastic exercise to make stretches easier, I'll tab it out on here so you can try it.

E -------------9---------------8------------8------------8-------------8---
B ---------10-------------10------------9------------9-------------9------
G -----11-------------11------------11----------10-----------10---------
D -12------------12-------------12----------12-----------11-------------

And so on, repeat this exercise down the neck. Hold all of these notes as a chord and pick each note out. This'll build finger strength and help your stretches a lot. It might be a little difficult near the end of the exercise, but keep at it. After a while of practice, this exercise will be incredibly simple, and that stretch will be incredibly easy. The sweep in that solo is slow, so you can easily get it with practice, so I hope you find this useful, and good luck. ^_^
also, i dont know why but it seems that there's a riff thats bugging me and i just cant play it, i take a few days off of trying to play it, then after that try it again and it just comes to me

some unexplained phenomenon... dont know if it happens to anyone else though
Quote by SKArface McDank
also, i dont know why but it seems that there's a riff thats bugging me and i just cant play it, i take a few days off of trying to play it, then after that try it again and it just comes to me

some unexplained phenomenon... dont know if it happens to anyone else though

I've tried to explain this in an article I've submitted to the site. It's waiting to be published but I'll make sure to contact you when it is.
Also, another reason you're struggling with the stretch could be your hand position....
Make sure that your left hand thumb isn't too high on the back of the neck.
Try relaxing it and it should make getting the pinky to the note a bit easier!
Let us know how you get on dude, It's NOT impossible
If you can't make that stretch, move the notes to different fingerboard positions so you don't have to make the stretch.

If you can't do that, you shouldn't be sweeping, it's an incredibly basic skill.
Quote by vayne92
I've seen a lot of people do it, so i don't see why i shouldn't be able to. That example wouldn't be the best though. This one is much nicer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbphcdy9keQ&feature=related

although there are many covers , but synyster played that sweep super clean.i didnt hear that clean on those covers .
Last edited by COBHC912 at Apr 13, 2011,
that's not an crazy fast sweep. Basically, if you know that minor sweep pattern (forgive me if that's not minor), think about it like this:

E|17-12----------
B|--------13---13-
G|-----------14----

THEN:

E| 12-19-12-17-12-------------
B| ---------------------13---13--
G| ------------------------14-----

Basically, just do the sweep starting on 17 like you would normally, then when you get back to 12, just think about the 12-19 strech. The sweeping isn't what's holding you up, it's the 12-19 stretch, so just practice that by itself.

Once the 12-19 stretch is done, it's just a regular old minor sweep.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Apr 13, 2011,