So after 17 years of electric guitar I'm finally getting a bass guitar. My mates selling his old Stagg bass and amp for £100, maybe a bit less if I do a bit of haggling.

Is it worth getting a Stagg bass though? My budgets £150 max. Are there better bass' I can get for that money?

The amp I'm not fussed on atm as I've plenty of naff 10watts at home to practice and a lot of the gigs I do with my current band, the bass is usually DIed.

Thanks in advance for the help.
- Well I would worry about the amp. If it's a 10w cheap guitar amp then a bass will destroy it totally within a few days!

- A bass an amp deal at £100 is pretty darn good, you'll certainly not come across anything cheaper than that for the both of 'em

- Not played a stagg bass, but lower end basses tend to not be as bad as lower end guitars, mainly because there's so much less precision in a bass setup and more looseness in bass sound. I would say go for it, buy some new strings, set it up properly, give it a bit of love on the fretboard and it will probably play fairly decently. (I guess after 17 years you know how to set stuff up pretty nice)

- As for other lw end basses. I can't really recommend peavey. But Squier, Yamaha and Ibanez all produce good low end basses - the squier affinity basses are not to be sniffed at either - they are remarkably good quality despite what some say (who i suspect have bad guitar experiences...)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by doive
Well I would worry about the amp. If it's a 10w cheap guitar amp then a bass will destroy it totally within a few days!

Not true.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I started with a stagg bass, there ok for starter basses, ignore spaz91,
If Stagg's basses are anything like their guitars, I'd avoid them like the plague. I'd rather pick up the cheapest Yamaha or Ibanez-Gio I could find used.

Most 10w or so cheapo bass practice amps I've played were utter shite. I mean you do expect bad sound - but above 4 on the volume dial, the E-string would begin sounding quieter than the other strings on some cheapos I've played and that's not exactly what you want to have happen. If you don't mind blowing the speakers of your 10w guitar amps at some point, they're good enough for home use. I mean, it'll sound like crap either way.

Admittedly, any bass + amp for 100 quid is a pretty decent deal, provided the gear is in good condition. But still, I'd rather invest all the money in a better bass instead and make do until you feel like (or can afford) a proper bass amp.
i tried a stagg stringray copy. i loved it actually. sounded EXACTLY like a stringray. the only thing i didn't like about it was how it buzzed terribly, but then again the action was pretty low. but all in all, a pretty good bass.
Quote by gilly_90
Not true.

Well having played a bass through a 10w guitar amp in two "warm-up" sessions pre-gig and destroyed the speaker on it i can say it is true. Guitar amp speakers are not designed for low end and the cheaper they come the less low end they'll put out. This means you push them further to get even a normal sound and they die. Fast.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by The9
I started with a stagg bass, there ok for starter basses, ignore spaz91,

I started with a Stagg bass too, no they aren't.

Quote by Shaggy076
i tried a stagg stringray copy. sounded EXACTLY like a stringray.

No it didn't.
My school's music department has a Stagg Bass, yeah, I've had a 'jam' on it.

And now I won't touch it with a 10 meter pole, just thinking about Stagg basses gives me severe migraines.

Your best bet is to go used, or save up. 150 isn't much to go by. Look at local pawn shops and on the net for some deals, look at the brands other people have recommended.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
Quote by doive
Well having played a bass through a 10w guitar amp in two "warm-up" sessions pre-gig and destroyed the speaker on it i can say it is true. Guitar amp speakers are not designed for low end and the cheaper they come the less low end they'll put out. This means you push them further to get even a normal sound and they die. Fast.

I'm aware that a bass will destroy a guitar speaker, what I'm disagreeing with is you saying it will kill it completely in a few days. Maybe it will if the guitar amp is already faulty or if you really try to destroy it, otherwise, with a bit of caution, it should at least last you a few months.

It won't sound good though.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
ive played a stagg prs looking guitar once at a pawn shop. played pretty damn nice to me. good sound too so maybe it was one of the higher end models
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Quote by The9
ignore spaz91,

LOL, not a good idea.... spaz speaks the truth, stagg is up there with behringer as companies I wouldn't touch even if someone paid me a large sum of money...

even by starter bass standards staggs are some of the worst basses i have ever had the misfortune to play.

i would look at squiers as good starter basses, especially the CV and VM series if you can afford them. ibanez also do some ok starter basses, but definitely try them out first, because not everyone gets on with their necks.

and there is no way in hell that a stagg could ever sound like a stingray, even if you put it through a £1000 amp setup, lol.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.