I have played guitar for years and never once have i been able to learn notation chords scales or anything besides tab.
Now I'm writing my own music instinctively and it isn't reminiscent of anything from any other band and it sounds good.
Does anyone else here play guitar by instinct?
Everyone writes music instinctively.
There's also a difference between not sounding like any other band, and not sounding like any other band you're familiar with, just saying.
I know that im just saying that i read guitar magazines and it seems that of musicians rely on chords and scales to learn when all that doesn't make sense to me it seems ridiculous to learn all this when their are easier tools to learn with
Sometimes even the greats,have to leave all that theory and musicianship aside and use more of that "instinct" you're talking about.All the musical knowledge in the world won't make you write stuff people want to hear.It sure helps thought,a lot actually.

"Battle not with monsters,
lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you
."

Stevie ray vaughan is a good example of this - in one interview he says (paraphrased) "once i start thinking about what im doing, I know im in trouble because im playing from my mind, not my heart - if i feel it, im fine".

its good to get a balance between playing based on patterns and theory, and feeling what youre doing. hope this (sort of) helps.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Iamtdawg
I know that im just saying that i read guitar magazines and it seems that of musicians rely on chords and scales to learn when all that doesn't make sense to me it seems ridiculous to learn all this when their are easier tools to learn with

With everything in this world, learning the theory behind it, understanding the mechanics behind something, makes you better at it. Why would music be an exception?
Quote by Keth
With everything in this world, learning the theory behind it, understanding the mechanics behind something, makes you better at it. Why would music be an exception?

this

honestly TS we get these threads in here all the time, if you don't want to learn any theory then cool, enjoy playing the guitar. but telling other people they don't need to learn theory when it could potentially help them is kinda unnecessary.

as for me, i'll stick with my theory. it helps me do things like write a massive song in a pretty short amount of time
Writing should be instinctive, but it's good to understand why it sounds good and why it works. I know a lot about theory, but I never actively use it when I'm writing except at a subconscious level probably.
Quote by z4twenny
this

honestly TS we get these threads in here all the time

I havent seen one like this in a while..

i agree with your point.

Quote by lt22
Writing should be instinctive, but it's good to understand why it sounds good and why it works. I know a lot about theory, but I never actively use it when I'm writing except at a subconscious level probably.

OP: most songs written, particularly main riffs are often instinctive, and most musicians (even those with highly advanced theory knowledge) write and play on instinct as many musicians just focus on what sounds right/good when writing, but theory helps you...

1)understand what youve done, or how something works
2)apply said knowledge and write sections
3)broaden what you can do in a song by understanding things like bii chords and ii iv I progressions which "expand your options"
4)you can write a whole song thinking about theory - it's almost like a lubricant for creativity.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Iamtdawg
I have played guitar for years and never once have i been able to learn notation chords scales or anything besides tab.
Now I'm writing my own music instinctively and it isn't reminiscent of anything from any other band and it sounds good.

Yeah, I definitely do. I think it's a good thing! Keep it up!

Sean
Quote by Iamtdawg

well, I learned notation and the other stuff, but if by instinct you mean listening..... yeah, I do that. And it's a good thing to do IMO. Something that alot of people abandon in their quest to "get good". (to their own detriment)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by Iamtdawg

I don't think there are really any easier ways to truly learn this stuff than the study of theory. I think you're confusing "easy" with "instant gratification".

Both trial-and-error and study of theory teach you how various things sound in combination. A proper study of theory is systematic; you will be able to combine many sounds as you desire and you will know how to arrange these sounds in an effective manner. Trial-and-error lets you jump right in, but you have no guidance. You will discover many sounds, but you may pick up bad writing habits and your tonal palette will be limited by the extent of your creativity and the creativity of those around you. To overcome that you'd have to systematically explore every combination of sounds available - but there's so many sounds and you're working on your own, without the knowledge of hundreds of years available for you to reference. You end up working harder for the same result or quite likely less.

Like everyone else has said, learning theory doesn't stop you from playing by instinct. It just gives you tools to explain and expand on what you're already doing.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by Nightfyre
I don't think there are really any easier ways to truly learn this stuff than the study of theory. I think you're confusing "easy" with "instant gratification".

It was hardly instant but then again i can't really see mysef not playing with anything but the heart. I completely taught myself with what tabs i could find i would love a mentor but sadly i seem to be the only metal guitarist out in the boonies
Quote by Iamtdawg
It was hardly instant

Getting to where you are now in writing certainly wasn't instant, but my point was that writing music using only what you know of theory can be dull for a while whereas when you simply go for it and noodle you'll get that occasional glimmer of "aw yeah that was awesome!" that can be very rewarding right from the start. I actually make time to mindlessly noodle even with my (limited) knowledge of theory because it occasionally turns out some interesting ideas that I might not have come up with otherwise (I record it all to dissect later and then apply theory to expand on those ideas). I'd wager this is a common practice.

but then again i can't really see mysef not playing with anything but the heart.

I think we can all appreciate the value of playing from the heart. The idea that theory keeps you from doing so is a huge misconception - if anything it better enables you to do so because you have more and better tools with which to bring your ideas to life.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 12, 2011,
yup i did this for years, then when i felt like i'd reached the furthest i could without it, i learned theory. it'd be interesting to hear the things you write, i did the same as you and have developed a kind of style that i cant really say sound like most things.

post some stuff on your profile.
My insitincts are guided by my knowledge, understanding and experience.

When I was 2 years old my instincts told me to touch a fire because it was pretty...I don't touch fires any more.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i know plenty of theory, more than i use, and i can play plenty of other people's songs, but when i write my own songs, even if i start out trying to sound like something else, it always comes out sounding different.
Quote by z4twenny
this

honestly TS we get these threads in here all the time, if you don't want to learn any theory then cool, enjoy playing the guitar. but telling other people they don't need to learn theory when it could potentially help them is kinda unnecessary.

as for me, i'll stick with my theory. it helps me do things like write a massive song in a pretty short amount of time

+1

Theory is good it explains the abstraction of music, it puts in to words what is naturally understood by our ears. Its much like physics equations explain in mathematical language abstract forces which work on our body.