begining to feel that guitar just inst my thing, i have good rhythm so i was think about taking up the bass yes or no?
Been there, man. Do both.
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
I noticed through the years that a lot guitarist feel the way you do and after that decision, they make excellent bass players!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
psh who cares if your not good enough its the fun that counts, and playing bass is not fun at all. lol no offense bass players :p.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
Quote by rocker222
psh who cares if your not good enough its the fun that counts, and playing bass is not fun at all. lol no offense bass players :p.

completely agree...its all about the enjoyment you get from playing...if you feel guitar is more "work" than something you enjoy then maybe it isn't for you...i was hooked from day one so guitar has never felt like work to me
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
I've more or less packed it in recently so I understand how you feel, I believed I had a good chance of becoming a full time thing but it was just not meant to be.
Quote by rocker222

I've tried bass and I have to disagree, it is fun... Just not my thing but it is fun... I prefer to think and stuff, no offense xD...
Pretty much all the time, actually. I use it as motivation to improve rather than allowing it to discourage me. That's just how being a musician is, because you're constantly growing. When you lose that feeling, you plateau. It's good to appreciate the little successes though - a challenging solo you learned, a new trick, or simply being able to make damn good music.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by rocker222

exactly this

also just keep at it, i GUESS by your not-long-registering you've not been playing for long? i'd say 'learning' but learning on the guitar never stops, even the likes of clapton say they're still learning.
just keep going, it's like everything, you know what you want to do, you just can't. it's like NakedInTheRain's sig
If you ever feel like you suck at guitar... flip it over and try playing it upside down. This is how it was when you first started. You've come a long way.

trust me, just keep at it. nothing has ever been gained from quitting... unless you quit drink/drugs/cigarettes then you've gained life, but that's the exception to the rule xD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
HAHA! If at first you don't succeed, play bass........ I personally don't think that "good" bass playing is any easier than guitar playing. When I got into that slump after about a year of playing, I wanted to do the same thing. I got a good piece of advise that kept me going. "Get rid of that crap gear and that cheap instrument and get one good acoustic guitar ($500 or more) and give it another year"
I did and at the end of another year I was much better and I found a new passion for it.
Quote by Nightfyre
Pretty much all the time, actually. I use it as motivation to improve rather than allowing it to discourage me. That's just how being a musician is, because you're constantly growing. When you lose that feeling, you plateau. It's good to appreciate the little successes though - a challenging solo you learned, a new trick, or simply being able to make damn good music.

+100000000

Pick up a bass though! They are loads of fun..I got one after years of playing the guitar and now I love both instruments.
Don't think for a second that bass will be an easy ride though, it's a completely different instrument with its own challenges to overcome.
ok thanks guys, ive been playin for about 3 and a half years but i think i will give bass a try aswell as keeping up guitar
So, if you have good rhythm, become a rhythm guitarist. Everyone thinks they have to be some awesome metal solo shredder from hell or something to be considered good, that's just the noob talking in people, I've met guitarist who were just rhythm guitarists and they were some of the best guitarists I've ever talked to about music and guitar playing.
Don't worry about stuff like that just take it as a sign u should be practicing more and plus if u cant be the fastest or the craziest shredder try to do harmony stuff with other people in my opinion that sounds just as good as the fastest player in the world
Lol it's funny cuz bassists suck XP

In reality, playing GOOD bass is like playing some real sick finger-picking guitar. These new guys that just play root notes, yeah they suck. But Geddy Lee, Flea, Les Claypool, they're better than most guitarists
I play guitar and a while ago my friends asked me to play bass for them under the assumption that if I can play guitar, I can play bass. That was wrong. The bass is physically harder to play (IMO) and musically you have to think a lot differently, especially if you're writing your own songs. It took me less time to learn the bass than the guitar because they're kinda the same. If you know one you can learn the other.

But playing the bass is fun as s*** if you've got something cool to play!
Most people think of Zakk Wylde, Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen and others who are known for playing insane scorching solos and riffs.....

But, most of the memorable hits are simple. Dont be so hard on yourself.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Dempsey68

trust me, just keep at it. nothing has ever been gained from quitting... unless you quit drink/drugs/cigarettes then you've gained life, but that's the exception to the rule xD

Completely off topic, but that's arguable. At least, tobacco/alcohol in small/infrequent doses can improve your health, rather than harm it. Recently, one of the oldest people alive (a woman who was a hundred and something) smoked every day.

But meh.

On topic: I feel like that most of the time - rather than letting it depress me though (which I have done in the past), I now use it as motivation to work harder and become better, so that one day maybe I won't feel inadequate anymore.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by twinturboaudi
completely agree...its all about the enjoyment you get from playing...if you feel guitar is more "work" than something you enjoy then maybe it isn't for you...i was hooked from day one so guitar has never felt like work to me

See my problem is the more work part. I feel that i am very good on guitar, been playing a long time. But now Im 30, have been trying to get a good band together for years with capable musicians and it sucks the fun out of it all.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Yeah whenever I hit a slump (and it happens in guitar as much as it happens in any other aspect of life), I try a new direction; like people above suggested, a new riff or guitar "trick" (messing around with feedback, delays, or doing some tom morello stuff) branching into a new style (metal to blues to latin to classical to electronic, whatever), or even simply getting some new gear--a better guitar/amp/pedal can rekindle your love for the music. Branching out into different styles can also mean crossing over to different instruments - I've gone through a piano/synth phase, a bass phase, a drum phase, and now 6 years later, I'm still playing guitar everyday, even if it's just for 10 minutes, and I enjoy it more than napping and eating (and I love napping and eating lol)... and like the guys above me said, you never stop learning... as long as you enjoy it, you're always good enough =)
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
My brain and hands likes to tease me. For a few days I can play much faster and cleaner than usual (this probably happens maybe twice a year) and then I revert back. I get excited at first.
The quote I have in my signature speaks louder than any other quote I have read about music.

Jimi Hendrix : "Sometimes you want to give up guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded"

Stick with it,give Bass a try , but you never stop learning.
Guitar isn't a chore, It is an instrument which is your own, one which has the pottential of your imagination, and your commitment. The sky is the limit with guitar, just keep sticking at it.
“Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you’ll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you’re gonna be rewarded.”
- Jimi Hendrix
I play both guitar and bass but bass it's a whole lot harder than you think it is.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
well the important thing is to try and realize whether those are your true feelings or your just unhappy about where you are. listen to all types of music, all genres of guitar, bass solos, piano solos, violin etc etc. and try to figure out what you really want out of music.

i actually felt the same way for a long time. it took me months to realize guitar was my thing, and the actual problem was that i was unhappy with my playing (i really sucked at the time). my advice to you is to do some research on yourself. put down the guitar for a week, and just listen to what makes you happy.

heres something else you can do, write yourself a letter about why you want to play an instrument. if you ever get into a slump, read the letter. it might help.
Thats more reason to get better. shrug it off. you have to understand we all learn at different levels, and eveybody started at a different time. one day, you will have your time. you wil lreachthe point where people have the same feeling after you play. the drive to keep playing is what seperates a real player from the average D-Bag who has an acoustic guitar in his bedroom and only learns 1 jack johnson song.

great bass playing is about tone and going above the average. so many timesbass players get by by playing themost super simple, mind numbingly stupid bass lines that a retarded starfish could play.

but when a bass player really has a great tone and can really fly on that neck, they can really command the stage. I saw Jaco Pastorius's son, Felix play the other week and i was in awe. He played faster than almost any guita player ive ever seen shred, and did things i didnt know where possible on a Bass. He was sweep picking, etc. the whole gig 100% improved it seemd like while still keeping the tempo and rhythm. truely inspiring.