Hello,

I'm currently shopping for an amp and associated FX but I'm not really all that knowledgeable about FX chains since I haven't had the chance to really experiment since they can get expensive to just mess around with. I have some money saved up and I need to buy a respectable amp for jamming with some friends. My budget is about $600.

I know I want to get a tube amp that can put out decent volume since I play with a friend who is a drummer and I need to be able to overpower or at least match his volume without sacrificing tone. I really want to get a good ripping metal tone similar to BFMV, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold etc. I was thinking about a Peavey 6505 but I'm still unsure of what I should be looking for in an amp that will really give it that ripping metal sound.

Also, what not-too-expensive FX might I look into purchasing with the amp that will tweak the sound. Again, I really want a melodic ripping metal tone with good sustain.

I play in mostly Drop-D and Drop-C. My drop C guitar is an Ibanez-RG series with .11-.54 strings and my Drop-D guitar is a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with EMG pickups and regular .10-.48 strings.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Used Peavey 5150/6505 and a good OD. That's all you really need.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
An overdrive to use as a boost. Max level, min gain. Basically tightens up your distortion, and makes it really precise and articulate. Any type of tubescreamer will do. I use a TS7. You don't need anything expensive if you're using it solely as a boost. Bad Monkey's are also pretty popular.

I will add though, you'll also need a noise gate. I use a Boss NS-2. If you can afford it, get an ISP G String.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thanks offworld. Good info there! Can I ask why the OD is used as boost? and what is it boosting? My schecter's EMG pickups already have a pre-amp attached to a little 9v battery that's in the guitar. May be irrelevant but it's an older model and does not have the coil-tap though. Only 3 pots for neck/bridge volume and tone.

My ibanez only has 2 pots for volume and tone.
Basically it pushes your preamp tubes harder, resulting in a more saturated tone. It tightens up your amp's response; i.e. chugs sound tight instead of flabby.

You'll still want an OD despite having the EMGs; they'll do a little bit, but nothing like the pedal itself.

Also you should consider the 18v mod for your EMGs (the pickups run off of 18v instead of 9v). It can really liven up your sound. There are plenty of good tutorials on it online.
--

--
i have a newer c-1 hellraiser, and i HIGHLY suggest you use that for drop c. the emg's are going to put out alot better than the ibanez mostly due to the pickups and body. active pickups + mahogany body is going to really let ur heavier music roar. also, suggestion for an amp, i just purchased a VHT special 6 ultra literally a couple hours ago. it will definately require a distortion pedal like a boss st-2 power stack (heavy gain) or an mt-2 metal core (real over the top distortion, a little more than the powerstack). the amp is tough to find becuz its a small company and all of their amps are handwired. but i paid about $300 for the amp in a 1x12 6 watt combo. 6 watts sounds like a small amount but a rule of thumb is about 1 tube watt = 15 solidstate watts. and believe me, the thing is LOUD. other than that, the only other affordable tube amp ive played through is a blackstar ht-5. very similar to the vht. i have found though, that if the amp doesnt have a lot of gain on its own, then an overdrive won't be quite enough to give you exactly what your looking for. but try not to buy anything without playing it alot. thats the best way to know what will work for u. go to a guitarcenter or daddies or something and just try a bunch of pedals on an amp that your looking at buying
A Special 6 will not get over a drummer. Nor do the MT2 or Powerstack sound good.

TS: Stick with the 5150/6505. You won't regret it.
--

--
Quote by andrerist
i have a newer c-1 hellraiser, and i HIGHLY suggest you use that for drop c. the emg's are going to put out alot better than the ibanez mostly due to the pickups and body. active pickups + mahogany body is going to really let ur heavier music roar. also, suggestion for an amp, i just purchased a VHT special 6 ultra literally a couple hours ago. it will definately require a distortion pedal like a boss st-2 power stack (heavy gain) or an mt-2 metal core (real over the top distortion, a little more than the powerstack). the amp is tough to find becuz its a small company and all of their amps are handwired. but i paid about $300 for the amp in a 1x12 6 watt combo. 6 watts sounds like a small amount but a rule of thumb is about 1 tube watt = 15 solidstate watts. and believe me, the thing is LOUD. other than that, the only other affordable tube amp ive played through is a blackstar ht-5. very similar to the vht. i have found though, that if the amp doesnt have a lot of gain on its own, then an overdrive won't be quite enough to give you exactly what your looking for. but try not to buy anything without playing it alot. thats the best way to know what will work for u. go to a guitarcenter or daddies or something and just try a bunch of pedals on an amp that your looking at buying

if you really want a good metal tone absolutly no to the power stack and metal core. he has $600 to spend and he can do way better than that.

TS the 6505 will do you well. you cant go wrong with it. but also for around the same price as the 6505 1x12 you can look into the bugera 6262 2x12. a lot of people seem to prefer the 6505 but the bugera is worht looking at.
thanks for all the great info! I think I will go with the 6505.

i have a newer c-1 hellraiser, and i HIGHLY suggest you use that for drop c

I thought about this the other day, and I agree 100%. I just haven't gotten around to switching the strings, because the Ibanez I have owned a while, way before the Schecter and has always been in drop-C. The schecter came setup with .10-.48's so I just didn't feel like making all the adjustments to the neck and trem for Drop-C. I know Schecters tend to sound good in dropped tunings from what I have read and heard so eventually I will make the change.