So after listening to everybody bitch about my amp when i ask for advice about pedals, i traded it and one of my guitars for a VHT special 6 ultra. not very well known but a beatiful sounding amp. handwired, very bright. clean and "ultra" input. http://www.vhtamp.com/avsp16u.html

i just bought a vox ice 9 less than an hour ago, plugged it in, and its sounds GOOD. however, it is not the tone im looking for. i am looking for an over the top distortion. examples of bands would be august burns red, killswitch engage, bullet for my valentine...etc. im looking to spend under $130

please give me suggestions of PEDALS instead of telling me to buy a new amp or whatever. i just want some help as to what to purchase. i intend on going back to guitar center tomorrow and bringing my amp to try some pedals out. what should i try?
why did you get the amp if it doesnt have the one you are looking for? there isnt many really i can reccommend but i can tell you to stay away from boss distortion pedals. the only distortion pedals my local guitar shop has is a bunch of bosses and a metal muff and a fullbore metal. the bosses just suck. the metal muff is for sure hte best of the bunch, but still isnt great. i find hte fullbore metal fun to play, but id never use it being serious.
I would take a look at the Fuzz pedals. I personally just got a Way Huge Swollen Pickle and very happy with it. Check out the videos on it. But look at several different types. I actually have 3 Fuzz pedals, the Way Huge, A Ram and a Triangle. They each have their own distortion but the Pickle has a wide choice to select from.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-qtetCupic

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
i bought the amp because it was affordable with a really nice tone. if the amp doesnt sound good on its own, then no pedal will improve the way it sounds. i bought it with the intention of running a pedal through it to achieve the gain i was looking for. and i am actually quite a fan of some of the boss pedals. i have yet to find one i dislike
@JohnnyNash, i have played with a zvex fuzz pedal and wasnt thrilled. i just dont think a fuzz is quite what im looking for
Quote by andrerist
i bought the amp because it was affordable with a really nice tone. if the amp doesnt sound good on its own, then no pedal will improve the way it sounds. i bought it with the intention of running a pedal through it to achieve the gain i was looking for. and i am actually quite a fan of some of the boss pedals. i have yet to find one i dislike

but thats crazy to buy that amp just to run distortion pedals through it. thats like buying a small honda and wanting it to haul heavy crap like a truck. if you want a metal tone than you buy a metal amp. no distoriton pedal will ever do what a good amp distortion can do.
Take a look at the video I put on the other response and listen to the Way Huge Fat Sandwich. I went and listened to the groups you mentioned and it is alot closer than the Fuzz to the tone they have. The video shows three of Way Huges Pedals. I didn't know much about them until Dunlop taking them over and starting to really like them. I am also looking at the Green Rhino Overdrive they have. But the test will be you actually playing several different pedals and finding what you like. Good luck and have fun but expect to spend alot of time trying different things.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
for the most part, distortions are run through a clean channel anyway, so if you have a shitty sounding clean channel then no pedal can help that. my distorted sound on the amp has a really nice vintage tone which will be utilized as well but i need something to truly push that over the top
well i have to say congrats on getting a nice amp but its a shame that you let people on here piss you off to the point where you get rushed into buying something.

i personally like boss fx pedals but i dont like their distortion pedals unless they are modded
the metal muff is cool but id rather use amp distortion
you have a couple options man. take the amp back if you can and save up for something more geared towards your tastes. OR save up and scour ebay for some decent multi fx pedals like the following:
line 6 m9
line 6 m13
boss gt8 or gt 10

or if you need individual dirt pedals
wampler triple wreck

plus there are new preamp pedals that bypass your amps preamp
amt electronics they have a bunch of different models from marshal to engl

hope this helps in some way.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Just buy a TripleWreck and be done with it.

Also, just because we pissed and moaned about your amp doesn't mean you should have changed it. Did you like it? That's all that matters.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by JohnnyNash
Take a look at the video I put on the other response and listen to the Way Huge Fat Sandwich. I went and listened to the groups you mentioned and it is alot closer than the Fuzz to the tone they have. The video shows three of Way Huges Pedals. I didn't know much about them until Dunlop taking them over and starting to really like them. I am also looking at the Green Rhino Overdrive they have. But the test will be you actually playing several different pedals and finding what you like. Good luck and have fun but expect to spend alot of time trying different things.

Fuzz is NOT what you want to be looking for.
A distortion with an overdrive in front to tighten the sound.
Quote by andrerist
for the most part, distortions are run through a clean channel anyway, so if you have a shitty sounding clean channel then no pedal can help that. my distorted sound on the amp has a really nice vintage tone which will be utilized as well but i need something to truly push that over the top

none of hte bands you mentioned you wanted to play run a distortion through the clean channel. in fact i cant think of any metal bands that do that. its all amp distortion.
my original amp i bought used and was happy with it but it was an impulse buy cuz i saw the price, had the cash in my pocket, and just bought it right then. before i bought that amp, i was originally going to purchase the vht anyways. i also had purchased a cort x-6 and dropped a dimarzio x2n in it but wasnt thrilled with it just because i am so in love with my schecter. so traded the marshall and cort in for the vht and am using the extra cash to find a pedal that will really give me what i'm looking for.

so if possible, before you comment, go onto the guitarcenter website, look at what they carry, and let me know what you think i should try wen i bring my amp in with me tomorrow
Honestly you're not really going to find any good sounding distortion pedals in GC unless you get super lucky in the used section.

The Wampler Triple Wreck will be your best friend in this case. That or the Damage Control Demonizer (but good like finding one).
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Honestly you're not really going to find any good sounding distortion pedals in GC unless you get super lucky in the used section.

The Wampler Triple Wreck will be your best friend in this case. That or the Damage Control Demonizer (but good like finding one).

the wampler is a little out of his price range
metal muff with top boost is your best bet at guitar center but its not gonna make you happy.

a 5150/6505 will.
there i said it
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
i'm really not interested in ordering online, having them shipped, not liking it and having to ship it back.... if i can get it at either guitarcenter or daddies then i'll give it a shot, otherwise its not worth it to me.
Quote by andrerist
i'm really not interested in ordering online, having them shipped, not liking it and having to ship it back.... if i can get it at either guitarcenter or daddies then i'll give it a shot, otherwise its not worth it to me.

no distortion in your price range is worth it either.
Quote by guitarpatrick66
the wampler is a little out of his price range

Yeah, it might be, but it would be worth saving for.
--

--
Check out the Digitech Hardwire TL2 'metal distortion'.....

I usualy dont like Digitech pedals (apart from the bad monkey), and find most 'metal' pedals suck, but this one is good - has shed loads of gain.

The Special 6 is not a high gain amp so using an OD will drive the amp more, but not give the tone you want, so think you best bet is running a distortion pedal into the clen channel...
Quote by JohnnyNash
I would take a look at the Fuzz pedals.

wut

Quote by Stryker636
Fuzz is NOT what you want to be looking for.
A distortion with an overdrive in front to tighten the sound.

+1, that's what I'd do. You already have an od (the ice 9's the od, right?), so you're halfway there.

First of all, try the ice 9 over the vht's overdrive channel. If that doesn't get you the tone you want, then try an od pedal into a not-too-high-gain distortion. Or vice versa (dist into od) just in case you prefer the tone that way.

EDIT: just to point out, guys, it's the special 6 ultra he has, not the special 6. It has an od channel and a couple more gain stages iirc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thank you, thats a good way of explaining it. i would like to do that because it makes alot of sense. however, i have a total of $150 i'm willing to put into these pedals, so unless i can find a used or cheaper tube screamer to use with a distortion, i'm going to end up going with a single pedal being either overdrive or distortion
wait, what? your best bet is two pedals- the kind of pedals which'll sound good alone will most likely be over budget (things like the wampler triple wreck).

your ice 9 is already an overdrive. Unless it sounds nothing like a tubescreamer (from what i hear it does), just hang onto the ice 9- unless you're planning on returning it for a refund, in which case you may be able to get a tubescreamer-style overdrive pedal for less, which'd leave you more to spend on the distortion pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
try a digitech TL-2 Hardwire distortion. i have a Boss Metal Zone and despite all the crap it gets around here ive dialed in some great metalcore sounds (such as Killswitch, Bullet, Atreyu). you just have to know how to EQ