Okay, so my Les Paul Epiphone Special II plays fine. My problem is that when I hold down the high e string on the first fret it sounds dead. I'm tuned properly (to Drop C). The strings I'm using are Ernie Ball Beefy .11s. I don't know if it's a sign that I have to change my strings or whatever. I got them in or around mid-January and today a classmate of mine said that you should change the strings every 3 months. I also don't know if my amp has anything to do with it. I'm using a Vox amPlug AC30(Metal) since my Line 6 amp is at my grandparents' place until this weekend.
Possibly an uneven fret.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Action too low maybe? Is it always a problem or has it only just started now?
If it is dead at the first fret something is wrong. Usually a "too low action" would result in dead notes around the higher frets (17-22).

All you can do yourself is try to raise the action. If you dont know what you are doing, do not try to adjust the neck or anything which might be what needs to be done. take it to your local music store.

Change strings when they wear out. Depending on how much you play. A few hours of playing each day, you would have to change them after a week if you like what fresh strings contribute to the tone, sustain and feel.
Alright, so I just checked my guitar now and the string sounds but buzzes a lot. It happens up to the 5th or 6th fret.

How can you tell when the strings are worn out?

Oh, and how long I play depends on my mood. Some days I'll play for 15 minutes while on others I'll play for a few hours.

This problem started last night. I'm learning arpeggios and sweeping them, so I decided to play the Chromatic Scale to get both of my hands faster. I always start on the first fret on the high E string and work my way up.
Quote by xShade
EDIT: Turns out it's all my strings that are buzzing.
Then it sounds like your nut is too low.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
Then it sounds like your nut is too low.

How do I change that?
Quote by xShade
How do I change that?

New nut.

Yes, you can shim the old one, but it's an inelegant fix...
Quote by Arby911
New nut.

Yes, you can shim the old one, but it's an inelegant fix...

I have no idea how to change so how much should it cost me?
Quote by xShade
I have no idea how to change so how much should it cost me?

Depends on where you are, the quality of the Luthier etc etc...

Somewhere around $40 generally though. (plus parts cost)
Quote by Arby911

Ok. Brb. I'm gonna go run by the local music store with my guitar so the guy can check it out.
Quote by Arby911

I explained it to the owner and he said that the neck wasn't straight. He's going to do a full set up (straightening the neck, clean it, and put new strings of my choice on it). It's gonna cost me $35, which isn't bad. The bad part is that I have to pick it up Friday after school and my acoustic is at my grandparents' place in NY (I'm in MA) and I probably won't see it until after Friday. D: Now I gotta fill the void... But thanks again everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.
Quote by xShade
I explained it to the owner and he said that the neck wasn't straight. He's going to do a full set up (straightening the neck, clean it, and put new strings of my choice on it). It's gonna cost me $35, which isn't bad. The bad part is that I have to pick it up Friday after school and my acoustic is at my grandparents' place in NY (I'm in MA) and I probably won't see it until after Friday. D: Now I gotta fill the void... But thanks again everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.

That's pretty reasonable, let us know how it turns out.
Quote by Arby911
That's pretty reasonable, let us know how it turns out.

Soooo sorry for the late reply. It worked out smoothly.