ok, so here is my situation. In the past 2 years i have seriously spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours researching the "perfect" amp, speakers and tube combo for the situation i was in. And now, i want something new. I want to kick myself, cause i feel that i may have wasted all that time and money. What I had bit the bullet and purchased was an original Peavey 5150 combo. It is awesome, let me tell you. but, i feel like its too much for me and what i play in my band. I play mostly ska and reggae, in my free time some harder rock like Van Halen and probably know every Weezer song in the book (favorite band btw)

that said, with the 5150, i have found that I dont need that much volume, and have oodles of gain to spare. My band mates ask me to turn down all the time! I feel like im wasting this amps potential. It cleans up really nice for my punk ska stuff but just feel like i could get something that suits my needs way better.

Bottom line, I have gone sleepless nights researching and came to the conclusion of an Orange Dual Terror for my budgets sake. Will i be happy/can i still play what I want and jam to harder stuff? or should I go with my runner up of a Mesa/Boogie Rect-o-Verb? Please, any help would be Greatful!!

just fyi, where i live i cannot try out either amp so I am going to have to go by the opinion of the masses. Thanks again to all!
I dont see the reason why you want to get another amp if the problem is mainly that you feel sorry for your amp. Don't get a smaller amp just for the sake of this band (who knows for how long it will last?). I think it would also loose you some money in the process of selling this one and buying a new one.

But Orange amps are very nice though !
I agree with the above post. Orange amps are great, but at the same time, it doesn't really sound like you *need* to switch. If you like you amp, keep it and tell your bandmates to turn their gear up.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Don't get a new amp. If you're happy with what you have there is no reason to. Look into buying an attenuator. I just recently bought one for my amp and love it. Don't sacrifice your tone because of volume.
i agree. orange amps sound tasty, but if all you have to do is turn a knob to the left a little bit, then just turn the knob to the left a little bit.
and from what little i've experienced with mesas, they are high gain amps without much in the way of great clean tones.
Last edited by brothertupelo at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by brothertupelo
i agree. orange amps sound tasty, but if all you have to do is turn a knob to the left a little bit, then just turn the knob to the left a little bit.
and from what little i've experienced with mesas, they are high gain amps wit
hout much in the way of great clean tones.

I used to say that too until I bought my first tube amp. Turning to the left a little bit can change the overall tone of the amp. With my DSL 2000 I don't get the tone that I like until I hit about 7 or so on the main volume. With a 100 watt tube amp that is extremely loud. The attenuator helped me solve that problem.
Quote by brothertupelo
and from what little i've experienced with mesas, they are high gain amps without much in the way of great clean tones.

I like the clean channel quite a lot on my Single Recto

Like someone else mentioned, look into an attenuator. I got an Aracom which is hand made and pretty expensive, but only a couple high end ones have switchable ohms which I needed. I've had for about 5 or 6 months and I haven't looked back.

Honestly I didn't need an attenuator since I could play with my master at like 3 and channel at 7 no problem, but now I put the master up to 6 or 7 with the same volume as before and it's absolutely awesome, I use it all the time now.
Quote by vjferrara
I used to say that too until I bought my first tube amp. Turning to the left a little bit can change the overall tone of the amp. With my DSL 2000 I don't get the tone that I like until I hit about 7 or so on the main volume. With a 100 watt tube amp that is extremely loud. The attenuator helped me solve that problem.

It kind of depends on the player you are. I know some guys who dont really use the volume knob for tone. I use it almost exclusively for tone. But it also depends on the type of amp. Some amps (marshalls com to mind) are built more around the master volume. Others amps, mesas IMO (bolt for sure), dont use the volume as much for tone shaping.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Thats exactly my problem. I am losing tone with the decrease in volume. its hard to tell a trumpet, trombone, alto and tenor sax to play any louder in the band hahah If you know 5150's, the louder and HOTTER you run them the sweeter and better they get but the loudness isn't practical.

I WAS looking into attenuators, but weary of their prices. I am not completely sold on Mesa/Boogie which is why my first choice was Orange. If i had it my way I'd get a Rockerverb 50 and NEVER look back or change. My thought is if i liked the Orange sound the Dual Terror would be a nice place holder until I can afford the bigger brother. If you all suggest an attenuator instead, are there any you recommend? Any experience with one and a 5150 combo?

thanks again for all your help guys
Just do your research on attenuators. I have an Alex attenuator and I love it. I know peoplethat swear by THD Hot Plates but I hate them. There are a ton of good ones out there.
Not why I didn't think to say this before, but you have a 60 watt combo and are looking at 50 watt amps? You're trading wheat bread for white bread here. That said, some amps do sound better at low volume than others.

What you need is an attenuator, unless you are really dead set on getting a new amp. In the end you'll have much the same problem with the Rockerverb 50. I also wouldn't recommend getting the Dual Terror as a placeholder for that, once you get the RV you'll probably wished you waited. That's how I am anyway.
What the hell?

Quote by M88zanderman
ok, so here is my situation. In the past 2 years i have seriously spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours researching the "perfect" amp, speakers and tube combo for the situation i was in. And now, i want something new. I want to kick myself, cause i feel that i may have wasted all that time and money. What I had bit the bullet and purchased was an original Peavey 5150 (Key term) combo. It is awesome, let me tell you. but, i feel like its too much for me and what i play in my band. I play mostly ska and reggae (Really? 5150 for clean tones for ska and reggae??), in my free time (Not all the time) some harder rock like Van Halen and probably know every Weezer (5150???) song in the book (favorite band btw)

that said, with the 5150, i have found that I dont need that much volume, and have oodles of gain to spare (Obviously he knows he needs an amp with less gain/saturation). My band mates ask me to turn down all the time! I feel like im wasting this amps potential (And he's right! Ska? Reggae?). It cleans up really nice for my punk ska stuff but just feel like i could get something that suits my needs way better. (He sees the light!)

..... And half of the replies are suggesting to get an attenuator so he can crank it?
PM to contact me -- For Sale:
ESP X-Tone series hard case
Big Muff Pi
MXR 10 Band EQ (maybe)
Boss RV-3
Quote by jnukes2
What the hell?

..... And half of the replies are suggesting to get an attenuator so he can crank it?

+1

Using an attenuator with a 5150 is a dubious at best and stupid at worst. They're not designed to get power tube breakup, which is typically what you use an attenuator for.

If you're going to replace it with something, you might as well go ahead, because it's not going to get any quieter. Just keep in mind that whatever you end up getting may not be as quiet as you hope, seeing as tube amps are generally loud as balls.

Assuming your budget is around $1K and you live in the US, I'd really recommend a Budda Superdrive 18. Hand built in the US (unlike the Dual Terror), made with great components and (like the Dual Terror) sounds pretty damn good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Apr 13, 2011,
His problems are 1. too much volume 2. too much gain.

If he only gets an amp or attenuator he'll still be left with one of those problems.
You all see my problem!? the 50 and 60 watt stuff just isnt practical anymore. " I SEE THE LIGHT" is exactly right. to many people's suprise, ive been able to do ska and reggae pretty well with that amp but with the volumes i need to have it, i might as well be playing a stadium un-miced. 5150(slaps forehead) what was i thinking, hahah im only joking, i love that amp....but for everything i do, i shouldnt have been so impulsive and looked at other things. I think you are right about the attenuator Raijouta, with those prices i may as well be getting another amp too! I think I know now that the Mesa is still going to be just a bit too much too huh? That buddah sounds great, but i would need something with 2 switchable channels hence the Dual Terror and not the Tiny.
Does anyone know how the shared eq is on the Superdrive? /volume difference between clean and overdriven channels?
ok, I have almost made my decision! I think its going to be down to this, Budda Superdrive 18, which sounds killer! (a little skeptical on the ease of channel switching) and the Mesa/Boogie Transatlantic (for what I want to play most, versatility and bedroom playing in mind) I think im leaning on selling my 5150 and almost breaking even with buying the Transatlantic. Anybody els's 2¢??
i take it all back!! i know i sound schizophrenic, but I think im going straight for the Budda. Any experience or advice? I think the superdrive 30 has better headroom for the clean stuff i want to play. anybody want to talk me out of it?