Hey guys,

Need some advice on buying a new acoustic. My first one, the one I learned on, is cheap and if im honest, its not worth putting good strings on. So Im looking for a new guitar, Ive read the sticky thread in the main section but had some other questions.

Im looking for something around about the same price as a Sonoran. I dont know what that equivalent is, or if theres anything better out there for that price. But something that is low action, ideally I want to go and play with the guitar before hand. That way I can somewhat compare it to the guitar I already have.

But any advice on what a make or model of guitar to put me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
ok so you're thinking somewhere in the area of $300. I've had Yamaha FG423S in the past that was solid sprice top with sapele back and sides. Sounded great IMHO, but they don't make that particular model anymore so I'd definately have you try the FG730S. At $299 it's a great guitar if you ask me.

Another option is the Epiphone Hummingbird Artist at $249. Solid spruce with lam mahog back & sides. I think the ones I've tried have sounded great too. If you are willing to spend just a bit more or buy used the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M is all-solid wood and $449 new but you could find a used one cheap. I got one off eBay used for $275 including shipping.

But like you said the main thing is to try lots of guitars and find one you really like the sound of!
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
i'd suggest a yamaha fg700s or 730s or else go up a few bucks and get a seagull entourage. if it were me, i'd get a blueridge br-40 or br-43. they have a fuller sound and more bass than other guitars in their price range. i like 'em a lot! one more possibility is this one

dread version:
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-rd-06-dreadnought--RD06.htm

000 version
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-ro-06-%22000%22-classic-series-i--RO06.htm
solid top, great price - haven't tried this exact model but the recording kings i've tried are pretty nice, although i prefer blueridge a little but these are cheaper and a solid brand.

btw, any guitar can have the action lowered, but no cheaper guitars i've tried have low action out of the box. i sure wouldn't pass on a good guitar and buy a less appealing one because of the action.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Seagull has some great guitars in the $200-$300 range. I've had mine for about 13 years and never looked back. Great quality for the price.
seagull doesn't make ANY guitars under $300 *LOL*

Quote by uberson
Seagull has some great guitars in the $200-$300 range. I've had mine for about 13 years and never looked back. Great quality for the price.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by 1500 meanstreak
ok so you're thinking somewhere in the area of $300. I've had Yamaha FG423S in the past that was solid sprice top with sapele back and sides. Sounded great IMHO, but they don't make that particular model anymore so I'd definately have you try the FG730S. At $299 it's a great guitar if you ask me. ...

But like you said the main thing is to try lots of guitars and find one you really like the sound of!

Second that. Yamaha's have been super value for the money. I have a F-310 (no longer made unfortunately) and even that is better than a lot of guitars I've played that cost significantly more.