Do you detune your guitar if you plan on putting it away in a case for some time (months)? What is the detriment of not doing so? I have a ton of guitars - some don't get played so often. What should I do?
No, this is bad for the neck as the truss rod is designed to offset the tension created by the strings when they're tuned up for long periods of time.
i never detune my guitar for any purpose, coz one tuning supports the entire neck construction being stable for longer period of time
Guitars are designed to be in tune. They don't care if you play them or not...
Quote by Arby911
Guitars are designed to be in tune. They don't care if you play them or not...

+1

peope who say you should detune arte dumb,

even if it makes no difference #( which it does ) it saves time retuning them all back up when you want to play it,

your sig says you have 3 guitars, thats not that many.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
His sig says "- And others."

Don't detune them, if it's set up properly the truss rod perfectly counteracts the string tension, lowering the string tension will make the truss rod apply more force (relatively speaking) to the neck, causing problems.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
I don't, unless I have a stupidly heavy strings on it, then I'll detune it at least 2 steps. If your leaving it for say, a few years, I would put on .009's, tune to standard, and set it up for standard, and leave it alone, prolly the most stable way to store it. If your transporting it, then yes, detune it at least 2 full steps.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I don't, unless I have a stupidly heavy strings on it, then I'll detune it at least 2 steps. If your leaving it for say, a few years, I would put on .009's, tune to standard, and set it up for standard, and leave it alone, prolly the most stable way to store it. If your transporting it, then yes, detune it at least 2 full steps.

That's true, detuning for transport makes sense as it lowers the tension on the neck making it less likely to be damaged.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by nitestick
That's true, detuning for transport makes sense as it lowers the tension on the neck making it less likely to be damaged.

that's the only reason you should detune your guitar otherwise it's useless and infects the set-up more.
I detune for transport only.
The guitar I have in Open D, I've changed string gauges to offset the lower tension from tuning.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by nitestick

this isn't true, if you detune then the truss rod will be bending the neck back with no counter force from the strings to keep the neck straight.

there's just no reason to ever detune a guitar except when making set up adjustments or changing strings.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I have many guitars. Only three in my sig but more listed on my profile and there are some which I haven't listed. I never detuned them before but somebody brought the thought to my attention so I figured it would be worth bringing up. Thanks for your responses and confirming my thought that it isn't a problem leaving them in tune.
I don't touch mine... the way I end playing is the way I store it.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by dr_john
this isn't true, if you detune then the truss rod will be bending the neck back with no counter force from the strings to keep the neck straight.

there's just no reason to ever detune a guitar except when making set up adjustments or changing strings.

Left the neck off of a AXL Mayhem Clutch for about 3 years, stuck it back on, had no problems whatsoever, played perfectly, other than the bridge, that thing was rusted to hell.

Some guitars are more prone to neck warping, some are practically impossible to warp. Just depends on the guitar.