i just got the jca2112rc and love the tone it brings. so i was looking for low wattage tube amps after this. well, i turned my peavey bandit in a 1X12 cabinet that way all i will need is a head. here are some ones i was considering:

JCA picovalve
Kustom defender
Vox AC4TV
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Epiphone Valve Junior Hot Rod
Blackstar HT-5
Peavey Windsor

those ones are all under 300$
i am always willing to mod any of these amps.
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
The Peavey Windsor is 100w, man..
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
VHT special 6 or whatever its called looks good on paper. i think it may be slightly more expensive new though.

http://www.vhtamp.com/avsp16h.html
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Apr 12, 2011,
I'm a fan of what Blackheart does...
--

--
i have removed the following amps from the list:

Blackheart Killer Ant ( only 1 watt )
Peavey Windsor ( too complicated, dont need another peavey )
Vox AC4TV ( no 8 ohm output )
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
if you bump up your budget 100 bucks you could fit in an egnater tweaker. I love mine to bits after swapping out all the tubes, it just sings.
+1 on the vht special 6. As it's more fendery it'd complement the jet city pretty well (it's more of an overdrive amp, right? haven't tried them, but they're meant to be kinda soldanoey)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i dont want to bump it up 100$ because i just spent 300$ on the jet city, plus another 50$ for new tubes. i just want a nice cheap 5 watter to play with

Two Notes Torpedo Live

what kind of music do you play?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
pink floyd/ led zeppelin.

i've pretty much narrowed it down between the blackheart BH5H and the Blackstar HT-5. possibly the epiphone because i can mod it.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

how exactly have you narrowed it down to the ht5 for pink floyd and led zep stuff?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not for their stuff. i've narrowed it based on reviews and features.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

maybe narrow it based on the tones you need?

I mean if you definitely need the features, fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my jca gives me a good zep tone. i'm just looking for a play around amp. if i was serious i wouldnt be using a blue marvel speaker with it :P

Two Notes Torpedo Live

ah ok, sure
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think that the blackheart along with this mod:
http://www.bitmomodkits.com/servlet/the-137/BITMO-TRIPLE-BYPASS-MODS/Detail
will sounds pretty good. even after replacing the tubes it'll still be cheaper than the blackstar.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Out of the ones in the opening post, I'd take the AC4 or a VHT Special 6. I owned the BH5 for some time and it's alright, but not great. Also, the Jet City should be quiet enough for home use, no?

Quote by stratman_13
The Peavey Windsor is 100w, man..

There's also a 20w combo, but I haven't tried it. It's supposedly pretty meh.
i'm not worried about noise. i live in the middle of the woods in the ozark mountains. i'm just getting into smaller tube amps is all. i think with new tubes ( replacing the ax7 with an at7 ) and the mod it will sound pretty good. still a lot cheaper than the blackstar would be.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Dunno. The only low-wattage amps I've ever played that I'd actually keep are the Laney L5 and Madamp G2 (which I actually own). The Laney's pretty pricey though, and while the Madamp only costs 100€, it's a kit and needs to be assembled. Sounds ten times better than a BH5 or any such thing though. I'm also curious about the boutique 5Wers, like a Cornford Harlequin, but they'd cost you a nice wad of cash.

What is it that intrigues you about the sound of the small amps? Because honestly, as much as I like my Madamp (and Valve Junior and the BH5 I had), my 50w sounds superior to them for any kind of genre in pretty much any situation, and it's not an expensive amp, either. Not saying you shouldn't buy a small amp, but I don't think they'd give you anything the JCA doesn't already. Or at least, not as much as to warrant the price.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 12, 2011,
Call me stupid but i'm not too sure what it is haha! theres something about the small, boutique-style amps that just get me! i want to get into modding as well and this amp would be great for that. i actually just got a brand new one on ebay for 165$ flat! Good deal?

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Hey man, GAS is GAS, you don't need to justify anything. I'm just curious, is all.

What'd you get? I recall Blackhearts being all about modding. Truth be told, with another preamp tube and gain/master controls, a BH5 would be pretty sweet. There's plenty of sites offering kits and amp parts, so you can mod and build stuff as much as you want.
i got a brand new little giant for 165$ on ebay. it is stock but i know bitmo has some cool mods, a guy called alnicomagnets on ebay has some nice ones, i know that i'm changing the tubes out right off the bat. i'll probably change the ax7 to a at7. if i can find a mod for a standby switch i'll do one of those. just depends. i hope it sounds good with the blue marvel cab. otherwise i'll put a v30 in the cab.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Okay i will be sure to do so! thanks a lot for your help!

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Duck: The Windsor Studio, yeah.

Have you looked into Blackheart's 15 watter? I don't remember what the name is.
--

--
the handsome devil? yeah i've looked at it.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

the devil costs as much as my jca. it has a prescence control and a drive control. which my JCA has. really its a JCA20H for more money. and it isnt really any better than the little giant.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Quote by TheQuailman
Dunno. The only low-wattage amps I've ever played that I'd actually keep are the Laney L5 and Madamp G2 (which I actually own). The Laney's pretty pricey though, and while the Madamp only costs 100€, it's a kit and needs to be assembled. Sounds ten times better than a BH5 or any such thing though. I'm also curious about the boutique 5Wers, like a Cornford Harlequin, but they'd cost you a nice wad of cash.

What is it that intrigues you about the sound of the small amps? Because honestly, as much as I like my Madamp (and Valve Junior and the BH5 I had), my 50w sounds superior to them for any kind of genre in pretty much any situation, and it's not an expensive amp, either. Not saying you shouldn't buy a small amp, but I don't think they'd give you anything the JCA doesn't already. Or at least, not as much as to warrant the price.

+1

The best 5 watters are the boutique ones- things like the cornford carrera, cornell romany plus, stuff like that. They're very nice, but then for the price you could get a higher wattage amp that sounds as good, is more versatile, and works for a wider range of volumes. The cheaper ones often sound very mediocre (though there's an odd exception).

The only thing I really like the 5 watters for is that you can crank them a bit easier than higher wattage amps. I like them for vintage tones, and higher wattage amps aren't really able to be cranked in a home situation. I don't live out in the middle of nowhere like you, but i don't share any walls with neighbours, so I can crank a 5 watter, whereas I can't really crank anything much higher in wattage without needing earplugs and everyone in the whole estate hearing me.

Considering you live in the middle of nowhere and can crank things a bit, assuming you like their tone and know their good points and bad points, a 5 watter might be a decent idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^+1

Quote by thundermonty
the devil costs as much as my jca. it has a prescence control and a drive control. which my JCA has. really its a JCA20H for more money. and it isnt really any better than the little giant.

Yeah, feature-wise the BH15 isn't that impressive, but it's still a completely different circuit than the JCA20 and they sound nothing alike. And I'd rather have a BH15 than a BH5, though I agree that the price is a bet hefty for the sounds you can get out of it.
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I totally agree with you guys. i went into town today ( a 30 mile drive to west plains,MO ) and stopped by the music store there. they sell orange amps and kustom amps. played the kustom defender 5W through a valveking 4X12 and it sounds pretty good for only having a volume knob. its funny how much you can shape the tone just with your guitar. i might just pick one of those up too for only 100$!

Two Notes Torpedo Live

bump

Two Notes Torpedo Live

yeah the low wattage tube amps are great if you can find one which does the tone(s) you want for cheap. The problem is when you have to buy the more expensive ones, or spend a ton on pedals to get them to do what you want... often just makes more sense to get a higher wattage amp which does what you want out of the box.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

The Pico is cool, but not very versatile. It's a little fizz box for bedroom playing strictly. I like it, but never enough to buy one.