Poll: Should the AV system be used instead of FPTP?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should the AV system be used instead of FPTP?
Yes
12 67%
No
6 33%
Voters: 18.
Searched, nothing came up.

So the Referendum Broadcasts for the Yes and No campaigns were on TV in the last couple of days, both were pathetic.

Anyway, which way will you vote? I'm not sure, because whilst obviously Alternative Vote is the fairer system, I actually prefer Single Transferable Vote to AV, and I think the introduction of AV will damage the prospect of further electoral reform - I doubt the electorate will see the point of changing the voting system twice, particularly as the differences are quite subtle.

Unfortunately, voting No will be seen as an endorsement of First Past The Post rather than a rejection of AV. So on reflection, I think I'm going to vote Yes. Although it's a pity we didn't get a preferential vote on various Voting Systems.

On a side note, I think it's disgusting that the No campaign is trying to claim that we have "One Person One Vote" throughout their advertisement. It's incredibly deceptive, and unfortunately a lot of people don't realise quite what FPTP entails.
Can anyone clear up the differences between AV and STV?

as far as I can tell with STV there are larger constituencies with multiple seats and instead of a smaller single seat constituency. And instead of 50%+1 vote (for AV) in STV a candidate only has to pass a certain point at which point any extra votes are allocated to the second preferences. If that's true, how do they decide whose second preference to use? first picked up after the quota is fulfilled?

I also don't see how AV will lead to further marginalisation of smaller parties (as claimed by some people on here). If people want to vote for smaller parties but don't want their vote to be wasted or detract from the lesser of how ever many evils, that option still remains.

I'm leaning towards a yes vote, but I'd like to see what the 'no' people have to say.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
FPTP is a bullshit system for the UK to have. It's a two party voting system for a country with 3 major parties in England and 4 in Scotland and Wales and many more smaller parties and it's the reason we have the coalition government instead of straight conservative which is, at the end of the day, what the country voted for.

The alternative vote will be fairer. It probably won't change the fact that it'll always come down to Labour vs Conservative but at least the winning party will win because they had the highest number of vote, not because they essentially bought the votes of another party to boost their own to reach the target number.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
FPTP is a bullshit system for the UK to have. It's a two party voting system for a country with 3 major parties in England and 4 in Scotland and Wales and many more smaller parties and it's the reason we have the coalition government instead of straight conservative which is, at the end of the day, what the country voted for.

The alternative vote will be fairer. It probably won't change the fact that it'll always come down to Labour vs Conservative but at least the winning party will win because they had the highest number of vote, not because they essentially bought the votes of another party to boost their own to reach the target number.

No, AV will increase the likelihood of coalition.

EDIT: Can someone lock this thread seeing as there's the other one?
Last edited by National_Anthem at Apr 12, 2011,