hi ive just got a 6505+ 112, i know theyre noisy things but i get a really bad buzzing

but the most annoying thing is when the volume is higher than 3 or 4, if i take my hand off the neck, there is an awful screeching sound. the high strings vibrate ever so slightly and it just goes through the amp and makes this horrid really high screeching !

btw ive got all knobs around 5-6 minus volume (pre)

how can i stop it?
What guitar are you using? Are you using a noise gate?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get a noise gate, and check the grounds on your guitar, it sounds like it might not be properly grounded.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by muse-ik
Get a noise gate, and check the grounds on your guitar, it sounds like it might not be properly grounded.

i dont currently have a noise gate but im pretty sure it shouldnt be this bad

how would i know if my guitars grounded properly??

im using a ltd ex 50

i just turned my guitar vol knob all the way down and the amp is hissing, is this normal?
Last edited by PureH9 at Apr 12, 2011,
6505 is a noisy amp, they should sell NS2s as a bundle with them, to check if your guitar is grounded, touch nothing but the metal bridge, if the hum reduces its not grounded properly, look for loose wires etc etc it may need soldering.

otherwise, maybe you have a bad tube or dodgy cable.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The answer to your problem is in the thread title. It's a 6505, it's supposed to sound buzzy and screechy.

Okay, in serious terms: it sounds to me like you may have a grounding issue, either with your guitar, amp, or wall outlet. Try a different guitar and see if it does the same thing. If it doesn't, then your guitar has a grounding issue, most likely existing in the jack. If that's not the issue, move the amp to a different electrical outlet and try it out there. If it is still making this awful noise, take it to a tech and have them have a look.
Check cable. Use different guitars. Otherwise Pre-amp tube maybe?
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
i've tried loads of different cables and its still the same. A noise gate isnt a soultion seeing as it shouldnt happen in the first place. seriously, i have the volume on 2 and gain on 4

its unplayable as when my hand stops touching the high (thin) strings you get a huuuge SCREEEEEEEECH caused by a series of vibrations

EDIT: it also happened with my old amp
Quote by PureH9

EDIT: it also happened with my old amp

Then its your guitar.
Quote by Dennis_SG
Then its your guitar.

alright so how do i go about fixing it? what do i need to do exactly? turn the screws on the bridge? go inside the back of the guitar and do something? adjust pickup placement? i have no idea explain please

also i get hardly any distortion out of my bridge pickup, its quite weird
Last edited by PureH9 at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
to check if your guitar is grounded, touch nothing but the metal bridge, if the hum reduces its not grounded properly, look for loose wires etc etc it may need soldering.

i just tried that and indeed the buzzing does reduce a LOT. if i tap any metal on my guitar infact, it makes a little crackling sound.. man, i dont know what to do with it tho.. do i open the back? or what
Take it to a tech,sounds like a soldering defect or a grounding problem
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
Take it to a tech,sounds like a soldering defect or a grounding problem

i'd rather find someone with tech knowledge and tell me what to do online then do it myself. taking it somewhere costs time and money. it will be some stupidly easy soultion anyway.. techs just scam you these days.
Quote by PureH9
i'd rather find someone with tech knowledge and tell me what to do online then do it myself. taking it somewhere costs time and money. it will be some stupidly easy soultion anyway.. techs just scam you these days.

Good man.

Do you own a soldering iron/ solder?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by PureH9

Here's what to do:

Unscrew the 2 screws on the jack plate. GENTLY pull it out, along with the jack itself. There will be 2 wires connecting to the jack: a red/white (depending on manufacturer) wire and a black wire. The colored wire is the main wire while the black is the ground. If the black wire is disconnected, then you've found the answer to your problem. Solder the black wire back in place and the issue should be fixed. If the black wire is not disconnected, then the problem probably lies in the pickups or the bridge grounding wire.

It would really help if you told us what model your guitar is.
Quote by Offworld92
Good man.

Do you own a soldering iron/ solder?

i have a multimeter, could pick a cheap soldering iron up

Quote by Ian_the_fox
Here's what to do:

Unscrew the 2 screws on the jack plate. GENTLY pull it out, along with the jack itself. There will be 2 wires connecting to the jack: a red/white (depending on manufacturer) wire and a black wire. The colored wire is the main wire while the black is the ground. If the black wire is disconnected, then you've found the answer to your problem. Solder the black wire back in place and the issue should be fixed. If the black wire is not disconnected, then the problem probably lies in the pickups or the bridge grounding wire.

It would really help if you told us what model your guitar is.

thanks for that, both wires were soldered on fine though. my guitars a ltd ex50

hmm the problem continues

btw heres a pic
Okay. You'll need one of those. You can get one for $15, that will come with solder that should last you a pretty long time.

Open up the back plate, and check to see if anything is disconnected.

Your ground wire is going to be bare, so it'll just look like silver wire. It should run to the back (read: bottom) of your volume pot, and go up through the guitar to connect to your bridge.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Okay. You'll need one of those. You can get one for $15, that will come with solder that should last you a pretty long time.

Open up the back plate, and check to see if anything is disconnected.

Your ground wire is going to be bare, so it'll just look like silver wire. It should run to the back (read: bottom) of your volume pot, and go up through the guitar to connect to your bridge.

thanks man but ive looked and i cant see what needs doing, can you check this pic? http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7199/segsge.png