So, I'm currently in a band who is going to be gigging out, and myself and the other guitarist need to acquire amps big enough to gig in any small gig environment; We're thinking half stacks. We've got about $800 dollars for the both of us, and can gig with borrowed amps for money for a bit. So, point is, Do you guys have any recommended amps that are preferably under $500 dollars that we can gig with? We play punk rock, early eighties hardcore and indie rock, if that makes a difference.
you dont need anything more than 50 watts, infact 50 is probably too much already. tubes need to be opened up at a higher volume to get the full tone, and if you get anything more than 50 watts, you wont be turning up past 3 or 4. ever.

also, its a huge mistake to think you need a half stack, there are plenty of fantastic tube combos out there. hauling around 2 half stacks will make u want to kill yourself, unless of course you are looking to get the image of two halfers onstage, but thats a mistake as well.

i dont have any specific suggestions, cuz i dont pay any punk or hardcore or whatnot. maybe try some of the marshall combos, they have a smooth distortion to them. good luck
Quote by PUNKinheadedboy
small gig environment; We're thinking half stacks.

Not unless you plan on blasting everyone's brain through their ass.

We're thinking half stacks. We've got about $800 dollars for the both of us

Think again. A halfway decent stack is going to cost at least $700+ used, $1000+ new.

You could probably wrangle in two Marshall JCM2000 DSL combos at $350-400 per amp. A used Traynor YCV40 could work, same with a Crate V32. There are a lot of cheap combos out there.

What's you're location (for Craigslist)?
I know that we COULD gig with large combos, but we just wanna be heard over the drums and vocals, and we don't want to have to buy more amps if we begin to play bigger venues. Would we be able to play a 4-500 person place with just combos?
just saying my half stack cost me around 1800 with a new amp head and a used cab. if the head was used it wouldve still been around 1300. and thats a peavey 6534+ through a really old mesa cab
Yes, if you have them mic'd up. These amps will last you a good while. The only reason you would ever need a halfstack is if you're playing a stadium or somesuch place.
Quote by PUNKinheadedboy
I know that we COULD gig with large combos, but we just wanna be heard over the drums and vocals, and we don't want to have to buy more amps if we begin to play bigger venues. Would we be able to play a 4-500 person place with just combos?

If the place is worth anything, they'll have a house system, in which case the vast majority of the sound heard in the audience will be a mix and your amps will be mic'ed up.

My suggestion as someone who has been on both sides of the coin? Either get a combo or go with a 2x12 cabinet if you have a head you like. With the 2x12 its much cheaper to just get another 2x12 if you want to go halfstack.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣