Do you practice licks as part of your practice schedule? If so how (do you just learn them or expand them to create new ones etc.). Is it necessary to learn licks on regular basis, anyway later you might forget them?
Learning licks can help a lot, i was learning a few country licks a while back just to spice up my vocabulary (i mainly play Ska/Punk/Metal).
I must say that it definatly made me feel better and it opens new doors for creativity.

But yes you can forget them if you don't practice them, it's just like learing a song, if you don't play it for a while you forget it.

Just look on YouTube for some lick lessons, learn a few licks and improvise with them.
Personally i find learning licks really fun and interesting, you should definatly at least try learning some basics ones.
Quote by pasnu
Do you practice licks as part of your practice schedule?

Not in a strict way, but sure I'll learn licks...melodies.

Quote by pasnu

If so how (do you just learn them or expand them to create new ones etc.).

I learn them, play them, enjoy them. Sometimes I'll expand on them. Sometimes the inspiration I get from them drives my creativity and I'll come up with something new.

Quote by pasnu

Is it necessary to learn licks on regular basis

I think it's necessary to learn and play music on a regular basis. Licks can be part of that.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 12, 2011,
If I like the sound of a lick I'll figure it out. It's important however to know what scale it's using and what key it's in. Otherwise you're extremely limited in applying them to other songs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud