Hey UG,

I am looking for an octave pedal to add to my slowly growing pedalboard. I primarily want to use it for thickening up clean and distorted single note riffs, and also for guitar solos to make things more interesting sound wise.

I really only need something that creates a note an octave below what I am playing. Anything else is just the icing on the cake.

I'm not opposed to having to save up for something, so I'm open to pedals up to about $400 retail. I play a variety of styles like Jazz, Blues, Classical, and Funk, but I will primarily be using this pedal for either the Progressive Metal or Doom Metal bands that I am in.

I generally play a Gibson Dark Fire or a Gibson '52 Les Paul (with a Super Distortion in the Bridge) through a JoeMeek FloorQ and a Red Witch Medusa before finally running into a Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Ace. I sometimes add in an early '80s ProCo Rat for a different type of distortion.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
budget?

WOW im slow...

The POG 2 is pretty great
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
POG 2 would be a winner - I've got a MicroPOG on my board and it's great - the extra tweakbility you'd get would be worth it.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by bogg808
pog2 is disgusting.

+1 to the foxrox octron II

Why? I like what I've heard, what did you dislike about it?
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
i would get a micro pog. it does exactly what you want, has beautiful track that even works with chords, and will leave you with extra cash
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Slap-happy
Why? I like what I've heard, what did you dislike about it?

little too digital and fake. play the octron and you will understand.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23

Sounds good to me. Better than the Digitech Whammy at least.

I mean, Joe Satriani and John Mayer have both used POGs at one point. I really like what John does with his in "In Repair" and Satch's use of the POG in "Super Colossal" sounds great.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by greeny23

This pretty much.

EDIT: To contribute a bit more, if you absolutely must go digi, get an eventide pitchfactor
Last edited by bogg808 at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by bogg808
This pretty much.

EDIT: To contribute a bit more, if you absolutely must go digi, get an eventide pitchfactor

This.
+1 to the Octron as well.

The POG's make you sound way too digital, It's hard to get a thickening up tone with one without having it set too subtly to really be noticeable.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I checked out all of the mentioned pedals, and I am leaning heavily towards the Octron myself. I really like its analogue synth-like tone, not to mention its ability to engage or disengage certain octaves with a foot switch.

I checked out the POG2 and the PitchFactor, and while they are both pretty cool pedals they seem a little overkill to use just for thickening up guitar parts. Still, I'll keep them in mind for a possible future purchase.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
If you're just using it for single notes, get the EHX Multiplexer. I believe it's analog and I heard someone using one through a Marshall Plexi a few weeks ago and it was one of the nicest blues tones I've ever heard. I think it's the cheapest pedal that anyone has suggested so far as well.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here