Hey, I've been playing for a while now and am sorely lacking in theory. This is important to me because I'm starting to play more piano, and improvise a lot more, and it would be beneficial to know a lot more theory.

In my spare time I need a big textbook to take me through everything, some sort of music theory bible.

It's really bad having a billion books or websites that aren't comprehensive or well laid out. I need something that teaches me in progress, but also can be a reference guide when I need it.

Does something like that exist? What to people who take music in college and university use? Thanks, sorry if I'm not clear, I have a lot of free time (lunch breaks at work and stuff) where I can study from a book, but not exactly practice guitar. So any bit helps, and I'm excited.

Thanks.
Im new to this to and I checked around on found out that Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory and Musicians Institues Harmony and Theory are both good books to learn from and cheap on Amazon.

I ordered it and have been reading the crusade on this website which covers the basics of theory.. waiting on my book to come in.

just me .02
Quote by Thexbert
Im new to this to and I checked around on found out that Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory and Musicians Institues Harmony and Theory are both good books to learn from and cheap on Amazon.

I ordered it and have been reading the crusade on this website which covers the basics of theory.. waiting on my book to come in.

just me .02

Cool, I'll give it a shot and will let you know if it's what I need.

Thanks
Quote by aartisharma1826

Thanks aartisharma. I haven't checked it out yet because it won't email to my spam account, but I'll figure out a way, looks interesting and I might even buy if it's good.

Ordered Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory on amazon.
While I don't actually care for theory (Need to get into it soon as I will be studying music at college later this year) I have a great book by Tom Kolb simply named 'Music theory'

I got it a few years ago and while I have barely read it, it looks very good. It teaches theory while linking it straight to the guitar, it also has a cd for ear training.

It starts with the basics ~(Time signatures, chord structure and simple scales) and ends with more advanced jazz theory.

Hope I helped.