Does anybody know some good death metal/metal bands that have a GROOVE to it. I mean a groove similar to Pantera, Gojira, Meshuggah, Sepultura, Machine Head, Lamb of God (I know, supposedly metalcore).

I am just getting a little sick of some of the death metal I have been listening too. Blast beats and tremolo picking is cool in moderation, but I feel like it is overused. The album Nihility by Decapitated is a great definition of what death metal I like.

Also, name the album that you just can't help but bang your head to!

My album is: Vulgar Display of Power by Pantera (Classic, but it get's so many plays)
Quote by groovysam
Does anybody know some good death metal/metal bands that have a GROOVE to it. I mean a groove similar to Pantera, Gojira, Meshuggah, Sepultura, Machine Head, Lamb of God (I know, supposedly metalcore).

I am just getting a little sick of some of the death metal I have been listening too. Blast beats and tremolo picking is cool in moderation, but I feel like it is overused. The album Nihility by Decapitated is a great definition of what death metal I like.

Also, name the album that you just can't help but bang your head to!

My album is: Vulgar Display of Power by Pantera (Classic, but it get's so many plays)

Steve? Is this you trolling?
+1 to the guy who said Nevermore.

Down, Corrosion of Conformity, Kingdom of Sorrow, Hellyeah (Maybe?), Damageplan, Crowbar

Hmm... I kinda listed Southern Metal bands, but still. Groovy shit man.
Check out Devildriver, they know how to rock shit
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Quote by ikarian-pride
+1 to the guy who said Nevermore.

Down, Corrosion of Conformity, Kingdom of Sorrow, Hellyeah (Maybe?), Damageplan, Crowbar

Hmm... I kinda listed Southern Metal bands, but still. Groovy shit man.

yes, that is exactly what I was talking about! Hellyeah and Damageplan are great. I have listened to a little bit of Down, but I'll have to listen more.

I haven't heard of the other two...thank you!
Quote by Scourge441
Ask in the rec thread next time, and check out Gorefest.

I apologize for the wrong thread I will check Gorefest out! Thanks
Quote by piratemetalhead
check out dies irae.

Just listened to that 20 minutes ago!

Definitely go for that one.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Check five finger death punch its not "Death Metal" but they got heavy groove.. dont judge by songs that somehow slipped to radio either.

just saying since you mentioned you liked pantera. They also got great hooks in the songs.

id say listen to the songs. than judge

-Ashes.
-A Place to Die
-Salvation
-Dying Breed
-Bulletproof
-Canto 34 (awesome guitar oriented instrumental)
Quote by true_bacon22
Nevermore are a good band period, but for your exact definition I'd check out Six Feet Under.

Why would you inflict such pain on another human?
What about Bolt Thrower? Chimaira's self titles album also sounds like something you would like.
Raffi M Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Vader.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Cryptopsy
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
I've been rather fond of Nine Inch Nail's Broken EP these days, perhaps more than I ought to. Would be right up your alley, all the angst and retarded groove riffs you've been longing for, TS.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
SLAVE SCREEAAMS!!

Best NIN there is.
Quote by rg_metal

UGH!
taste
kaygade

If Reznor wasn't, well, Reznor, I'd call myself a genuine fan.

...would you love me?
I am a genuine fan though. Don't really get the hate, although he can come across as a bit whiny.

This thread needs Riffmast to post a certain cover...

EDIT: Screw it... couldn't help myself.
Quote by rg_metal

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Last edited by Senor Kristian at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by Senor Kristian
I am a genuine fan though. Don't really get the hate, although he can come across as a bit whiny.

This thread needs Riffmast to post a certain cover...

It looks like a warrior with a helmet and two bowling balls
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Senor Kristian
He's a narcissistic idiot. Good musician, but pretentious and rather annoying as a person. Shite singer, too.

On topic: there's always Low by Testament. Solid album for what it is, might get you into better stuff, TS.

...would you love me?
Quote by soulsablaze
Check out Devildriver, they know how to rock shit

Yes devildriver is definately groove metal.

Some groovemetal bands off the top of my head:
Chimaira
Fear Factory
Daath
I leik music
Quote by progbass

It looks like a warrior with a helmet and two bowling balls

i thought it looked like testes
Sikth
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
These suggestions are amazing.

Check five finger death punch its not "Death Metal" but they got heavy groove.. dont judge by songs that somehow slipped to radio either.

just saying since you mentioned you liked pantera. They also got great hooks in the songs.

id say listen to the songs. than judge

-Ashes.
-A Place to Die
-Salvation
-Dying Breed
-Bulletproof
-Canto 34 (awesome guitar oriented instrumental)

Yes, I have listened to them and I was surprised by the difference in their radio songs and the others. They would be really awesome if they just lost that nu-metal guitar tone. Ugh.

Nevermore are a good band period, but for your exact definition I'd check out Six Feet Under.

I like Nevermore, haven't heard of Six Feet Under, but they sound amazing from what I have read... Are they a supergroup in a way?

What about Bolt Thrower? Chimaira's self titles album also sounds like something you would like

Bolt Thrower is pretty close to what I like. Chimaira are pretty groovy, but I don't really dig some of the more "metalcore" stuff they do.

Vader

I haven't listened to them quite yet, but I have heard of them. So many bands to hear... so little time!!

He's a narcissistic idiot. Good musician, but pretentious and rather annoying as a person. Shite singer, too.

On topic: there's always Low by Testament. Solid album for what it is, might get you into better stuff, TS.

Testament is good. I have only heard a couple of their songs, but what I heard was nice. You are right, a lot of these bands are leading me to new things I haven't even heard of. I'm pretty new to death metal, considering I'm 15. I listened to Dying Fetus yesterday and they are crazy good. "slam metal?"

Yes devildriver is definately groove metal.

Some groovemetal bands off the top of my head:
Chimaira
Fear Factory
Daath

DAATH! Daath are really unique IMO. They sort of got me into death metal, even though they aren't a typical death metal band.

Wow! These are a lot of bands! Great recommendations.