Have you guys any tips on achieving total hand sync between picking and your fretting hand? im currently drilling myself with metronome at slow paces to get my my brain to sync both picking and fretting, When i speed it up im having trouble with one thing...My pinky isnt totally in control, especially when im trying to practice with my metronome. i can do it at slower speeds then my pinky gets out of sync at higher rates of speed.

Any tips on how to achieve this would be great, im willing to accept anything. any suggestions highly appreciated.

PS: it would be cool if you guys posted some exercises maybe? that specialize in this type of technique and training?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
really the only way is constant practice on slow speeds. but if you need some exercises, you cant go past paul gilbert. do a quick search for his alternate picking/ speed guides. they all require very constant sync between both hands.
Keep practicing. If your pinky flies off at higher speeds it just means your muscles haven't fully learned the proper way yet.
ok well it doesnt fly off i have control of it...just not fully in sync with my other fingers...its not like its not useable. Anyway yes, ive looked up paul gilbert licks and and im trying to find ones to exercise with.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
YOur pinky might be out of synch at higher speeds because you haven't developed sufficient independence between the ring and pinky finger.... as they are closely attached.

At slow speeds when you are more in control, you have more time to recover/correct things on the fly.

When you speed up you rely more on your reflexes alone - and if there is not good separation between the fingers... certain pairs tend to "follow" each other involuntarily. Ring and pinky is probably the worst.
So what is perceived as a problem w/ the pinky is sometimes more of a finger independence/control issue among multiple fingers. (which gets exaggerated at faster speeds)

Look at your playing in a mirror and try to observe if there is any correlation. Start slow and gradually speed up until your pinky starts acting up.

Personally, I have fixed several issues just by slowing down and noticing that a finger was innacurate as direct result of OTHER finger(s) moving at the same time.
It can be subtle to realize, but once you know about it - it's easy to fix. good luck.
yeah ive been working on the pinky for along time actually. thanks man

Anyone know any paul gilbert practice licks besides his sig lick ( i know that already) that are actually possible for a mortal to do?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
the first question that pops into my head after reading this is: how quickly do you bump up the speed?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
PS: it would be cool if you guys posted some exercises maybe? that specialize in this type of technique and training?

There are no special exercises for this kind of thing, just keep doing what you're doing now and it'll get easier with time and practice.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
yeah ive been working on the pinky for along time actually. thanks man

Anyone know any paul gilbert practice licks besides his sig lick ( i know that already) that are actually possible for a mortal to do?

He has literally tens of hours of instructional material on youtube, on DVD and in magazines, in fact he's probably one of the most prolific instructors of the shred crowd. If you can't find what you're looking for you need to search harder.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well, now that ive been practicing economy i want to go with alternate now a lot. How should i go about alternate picking instead of economy picking and should i do 3 string per note patterns??? and how can i be comfortable with playing inside and outside the strings?
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
To get this synch on the go, you need to practice all over the fretboard and on every string (as the fretting action will be slightly different), making sure you're not picking too early or too late. It's best to practice this stuff "no tempo" - so you're not trying to get notes in any timing, just as slow as it takes to get it perfect, every time.

A little of this practice and often is all it takes, 10, 15 mins a day. If you hear yourself getting sloppy then do a little more.

You never need to do this kind of practice "building up" the tempo - you always do it slow. It should be totally automatic at any playable tempo.

How should i go about alternate picking instead of economy picking and should i do 3 string per note patterns??? and how can i be comfortable with playing inside and outside the strings?

Basically -

Practice.

3 note per string patterns are useful, but just like any pattern, you need to develop the ability to move all around the neck with fluency. You need to drill moving between positions as well as each position in isolation.
ok well i just did that for 2 hours and played songs and made stuff for 1 hour...is 2 hours a day good?

EDIT: i see myself making noticeable progress with every week i practice this too. i jus want this to happen for alternate picking as well now.

EDIT2: I practiced this w/o a metronome because im trying to get perfect sync i also do move all around the neck i just dont practice 1 lick (you know how that goes). I practiced slowly to make sure im not economy picking..ahahah and then i gradually increased speed. i'm Practicing this right???
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Apr 13, 2011,
yep 2 hours are fine as long as you are practicing right.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.