I had a delay pedal recently crap out on me, an old school Ibanez Soundtank to be exact. It was pretty basic, but sounded quite nice and served me well for about 15 years. So anyhow, I went on the lookout locally for a new delay pedal today and came home with the EH #1 Echo. I figured I'd lend my impressions and offer up a sound clip.

First let me say that the most important feature for me personally (aside from it sounding good) was a wet/dry control so I could run the pedal 100% wet in a loop. Having the pedal be simple and basic from a controls standpoint was also important. I do think the feature packed delays that are out there are really cool--but I personally don't like spending a whole hell of a lot of time dialing in a pedal. I'm more of a 1 to 3 knob kind of guy. Set it up in a couple of minutes tops and get to playing.

So I settled on the EH, and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's exceptionally easy to dial in, which is a big plus. It's also capable of 2 seconds of delay time which isn't bad. One particularly cool feature that I had some fun messing with is the infinite feedback (just dime the feedback knob). You can get some pretty trippy textures going with that. Of course, you can't play dry over them as you would be able to do with a looper, but it's fun nonetheless!

Pretty straightforward pedal. Important to note that this pedal is not true bypass. So running it in front of your amp while turned off does create a bit of tone suck. It's not particularly bad if you run the pedal by itself, but if combined with other pedals that don't have true bypass, your tone will suffer.

One other thing to note is that the blend control (wet/dry mix) compromises the volume of your dry signal to some degree as you add more wet signal. The degree varies based on where you have the control set obviously. This can be disconcerting if running the pedal up front and using it with a heavy wet ratio. But these things weren't of much concern to me because as I stated, I plan on running this in a loop most of the time 100% wet.

The pedal sounds great though. It's a digital delay, so it's squeaky clean. But to me it wasn't "cold" sounding despite this. It's pretty accurate to what you feed it.

Here's a clip of me doing some chord noodling with the pedal in front of the amp, set quite like it is in the picture. I used it in front of an amp to show that it is still possible to get some good sounds from it in that position despite the things I mentioned above.

Electro-Harmonix #1 Echo soundclip
I know this is about the pedal, but..

THE SUCKERPUNCH SOUNDS SO GODDAMNED GOOD.

HNPD . That is a lot warmer than I expected.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Wow that sounds amazing. Your amp is just secksssssssssssssss

HNPD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Wow man, that sounds awesome! If that's "noodling" then you seriously underrate your playing ability around here
Thanks 311.

Quote by josephde
Wow man, that sounds awesome! If that's "noodling" then you seriously underrate your playing ability around here

I appreciate it, but I'm not exactly shredding there or anything.
Man i love delay HNPD
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

Sounds good!

is there any modulation on that delay or in your chain? on the last couple repeats of the delay in that clip it almost sounds like it. I like it.
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Thanks fellas!

Quote by trevh

is there any modulation on that delay or in your chain? on the last couple repeats of the delay in that clip it almost sounds like it. I like it.

No modulation on the delay, that's me bending the strings and bowing the neck ever so slightly to get the modulation effect a bit. I have a tendency to do that almost subconsciously when I play sustained stuff like that with delay.