I'm attempting to fast for 3 days and I'm only allowed water and fruit juice. I have never fasted for even a day before, but I really want to try this. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to fast for an extended amount of time. Any helpful tips for a beginner?

The other thing is, in one of my classes we have been talking to a Buddhist monk (he isn't considered an Enlightened Monk just yet). One of the more interesting topics he has brought up has been meditation. He has explained how meditation has helped him with concentration and control of his body. However, he never said how he meditates or how he first started to do it correctly. All I ever hear about meditation is how helpful it can be for you. But, I never really get any information on how to really meditate and I have a wandering mind with no real idea on how to truly meditate. I will not be able to talk to this monk for a while, so I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with meditation and if they had any tips.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by xevious1
well if your fasting you need to being doing it for a purpose not just to fast, and if you haven't fasted for a day you will probably fail, start with a smaller goal then try fasting for extended periods of time.

It's for extra credit for a class for I sort of have to jump straight into this. That, and I really want to see if I am capable of doing this. I most likely will fail, I accept that. But, I am going to try as hard as possible to achieve the 3 days of fasting.
Quote by bizkitday4eva

If you're looking to meditate regularly, pick a time and stick to it. Once or twice a day, in the morning or right before bed, or both, works best for me.
As for how to do it, this is what I use most often:
Sit or lay down comfortable. You can have your eyes open or closed. Choose a focus, and concentrate on this to the exclusion of all else.
It could be the flame of a candle, a single phrase mantra you run over in your mind, or the one that works best for me-breathing. Concentrate on the feel of your breath as it goes in your nose through to your lungs, and back again. If you find your thoughts beginning to float to the surface again, just start paying attention to your breath again. Do this for 5-15 minutes, or longer if you feel like it. When you're ready to stop, take a couple deep breaths and go about your normal routine again.
The goal of meditation is to be relaxed and calmed, so as long as you find these two things happening as a result, you're doing it right. Just do your best to do it at the same time every day regularly.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I don't understand how people fast, if I don't eat for 8 hours or so I get unbearable nausea.

this.

I'd rather eat
I leik music
I heard Keanu Reeves fasts a lot.

When I was younger, maybe junior high, I got roped into watching my 3 month old niece while my sister got her hair done. SO when there i am, sitting in the waiting area of a hair salon with my niece, and who walks in, but Keanu Reeves.

I was nervous as ****, and just kept looking at him, as he read a magazine and waited, but didn't know what to say. Pretty soon though my niece started crying, and I'm trying to quiet her down because I didn't want her to bother Keanu, but she wouldn't stop. Pretty soon he gets up and walks over. He started running his hands through her hair and asking what was wrong. I replied that she was probably hungry or something. So, Keanu put down his magazine, picked up my niece and lifted his shirt. He breast fed her right there in the middle of a hair salon. Chill guy, really nice about it.
Quote by Twist of fate

When I was younger, maybe junior high, I got roped into watching my 3 month old niece while my sister got her hair done. SO when there i am, sitting in the waiting area of a hair salon with my niece, and who walks in, but Keanu Reeves.

I was nervous as ****, and just kept looking at him, as he read a magazine and waited, but didn't know what to say. Pretty soon though my niece started crying, and I'm trying to quiet her down because I didn't want her to bother Keanu, but she wouldn't stop. Pretty soon he gets up and walks over. He started running his hands through her hair and asking what was wrong. I replied that she was probably hungry or something. So, Keanu put down his magazine, picked up my niece and lifted his shirt. He breast fed her right there in the middle of a hair salon. Chill guy, really nice about it.

EDIT: Lol, just noticed the book title in this picture. It actually works with the story though.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Last edited by chaos13 at Apr 12, 2011,
Encouraging you to starve yourself for extra credit? What kind of class is that? Start slow. The person telling you to not eat for three days deserves to have some sense knocked into him/her.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Encouraging you to starve yourself for extra credit? What kind of class is that? Start slow. The person telling you to not eat for three days deserves to have some sense knocked into him/her.

No he said to start slow, I just ran low on time. It is my own fault but I fell like I can really do this if I try hard enough.

Thanks chaos13, that's the best answer about meditation I've gotten.
Quote by bizkitday4eva

I did this once when I was 10 just to see if I could. Oddly enough, I didn't find it very hard. I remember finding that if I stayed somewhat active, either physically or mentally, not eating wasn't that bad.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
Quote by Twist of fate

what the shit

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Victory. Thank chaos13, I didn't try to meditate as much as I wanted to, but that definitely helped.

Edit: I also found out I'd be a pretty bad Buddhist monk or Buddhist in general. Towards the end I got excited that I could go and eat food soon.
Quote by bizkitday4eva

Last edited by Ticket48 at Apr 16, 2011,
Meditation is pretty powerful stuff. I actually only started very recently, but it's very easy. There's no "right" way to do it, and there's no "wrong" way to do it. Sit in a comfortable position where everything is relaxed, yet your back and neck have support. Focus on breathing deep and slowly, and just let your mind go blank. For me, 30 minutes + can just whip by in an instant. I like to put on nature sounds that I downloaded from the internet, and I usually sit on a folded up comforter when I do it.

Like Chaos13 said, as long as your end result is a more relaxed state, you have succeeded. You'll find what works for you after a few tries!
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
93% of all demonic possessions take place during meditation.

Not that it's a bad thing, but just throwing that out there so you know.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.