Hey guys, I'm sorta in a limbo waiting for access to a jigsaw or a bandsaw (God damn being poor) and I've begun to realize that when I go to college, they wouldn't exactly be thrilled to hear a router or a bandsaw running in the dorms

Which leads to my question. I'm well aware that building an electric guitar is possible by only hand tools, and as of yet all I can think of building by hand tools is a neck. Meaning thats all I know how to build by hand

What tools would one need to cut out and route a body by hand? I'm honestly going to want to do this while I'm at college, and I'm willing to invest a bit of money into this, instead of dropping a couple hundred on power tools that I couldn't take anyway.

Help?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

hand planer
chisels (multiple widths, sizes, and shape)
good knife
plenty of sandpaper

I guess you can get a hand drill, to do the jack and screw holes
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by Jason Jillard
handsaw, handrill, hammer, chisel, rasps, files, handplane and a tonne of sandpaper.

and patients.. and amazing arm muscles.

Hammer and chisel for the routing and cutting of the body yeah?

Arm muscles from hell That won't be a problem.

So I'm assuming, cut out the rough shape of the body with a handsaw, and chisel it to shape, then sand it smooth.

yeah?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

if your college has a wood shop class or something similar im sure they wont mind you using some of thier tool for that
just saying
I'm not sure they do, at least I didn't see anything about woodworking on any of their class lists

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
I'm not sure they do, at least I didn't see anything about woodworking on any of their class lists

A lot of colleges don't list any specific classes, but sometimes they have a major that uses the shop for projects. You could probably send some emails to them and ask.
I was trying to find the site so I can post the address but I can't find it now. Anyway, I was watching a guy in YouTube the other night making a hollowbody guitar using hand tools...

I felt the pain when he starting sawing 3/16" thick strips off a 2" deep length of maple with a japanese saw! Then he used a coping saw to cut a template out of 2" thick plywood (four half inch boards clamped together)!!

It is possible to make a guitar (electric or acoustic) using only handtools, but it would be painful.
Last edited by lostcreation333 at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by valennic
What tools would one need to cut out and route a body by hand?

I guess if you've got spare time, all you need is a jack knife. Or you could sharpen a butter knife using a rock. Oooh! A rock. You dont need a knife at all!