So I was a little bored and i was flipping through the manual of my 6505+ and it says, "it is imperitive that you use a premium shielded instrument cable"... I use monster standard 100 cables. Are these considered a "premium shielded cable"? Should I pick up the monster rock cable instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Peavey 6505+
Les Paul Custom Silverburst

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Black Label Society 3/7/09
Black Label Society 5/4/09
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
I think that's just to avoid liabilities and stuff. Just like BOSS pedals say to use a "BOSS supplied power supply". The monster cable would work perfectly!
I make my own cables with Canare or Mogami cable and either Amplenol or Neutrik connectors. I haven't had a cable problem of any sort and I tend to step on them, twist them, and put my chair on them. They sound better than Monster to me and are cheaper.

Sounds like they are just saying that so if the amp doesn't sound good, it's the cable. Probably not..
Quote by Fingerboy18
I make my own cables with Canare or Mogami cable and either Amplenol or Neutrik connectors. I haven't had a cable problem of any sort and I tend to step on them, twist them, and put my chair on them. They sound better than Monster to me and are cheaper.

Sounds like they are just saying that so if the amp doesn't sound good, it's the cable. Probably not..

i made a few cables out of good cable and ends, but they are not near as durable as the "good" monsters, but they do sound better.

if you screw the gold tip off of a monster rock cable, you see the pour like a resin over the wires inside. try messing that up. one wire couldn't come undone even if you cut the end open (a knife wouldn't get through that well).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Monsters are pretty low quality to be honest.
They're way over priced and the gold tips do nothing for your sound unless EVERY connection is gold. Including the jacks, and the difference is minimal at best. It's a marketing ploy. Monsters are outdone easily by Mogami, George L, and others.
And, if made right, they're just a s durable, if not more durable, than monsters. Monsters have the unfortunate addition of molded jacks, making them basically impossible to fix yourself. Other cables can be fixed on your own, and it's easy to do.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by darkwolf291
Monsters are pretty low quality to be honest.
They're way over priced and the gold tips do nothing for your sound unless EVERY connection is gold. Including the jacks, and the difference is minimal at best. It's a marketing ploy. Monsters are outdone easily by Mogami, George L, and others.
And, if made right, they're just a s durable, if not more durable, than monsters. Monsters have the unfortunate addition of molded jacks, making them basically impossible to fix yourself. Other cables can be fixed on your own, and it's easy to do.

overpriced when you don't get them at cost.

i agree with you on the former, although monster is not the only premiumish cable maker out there to use gold tips.

when i was doing research in conductance i read in an old 1960's US Navy electronics manual that silver is actually the best conductor. just a little FYI,

but you will not get more durable than a molded jack.

and why the hell would you want to fix a monster yourself? any shop will hand you a brand new one over the counter. that is the only reason i use monster, and because if one were to die, nearly every guitar shop carries monster and not all of the other brands.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

and why the hell would you want to fix a monster yourself? any shop will hand you a brand new one over the counter. that is the only reason i use monster, and because if one were to die, nearly every guitar shop carries monster and not all of the other brands.

+1

I'm not sure why everyone frets about the price of monster.. Any place that carriers them will swap them no questions asked. I paid $40 for 2 cables on sale.. ONCE.. never again.

Sure, monsters home theater stuff is a huge rip-off.. But free cables for life (no hassle) on an instrument/speaker cable? Not too shabby.

And the expensive monsters I have are not molded.
I have an old monster molded cable that has been cut off and a new 1/4 put on it for temporary use.. Guitar center even swapped it out later.
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Apr 13, 2011,
Typically Monster cables are worse than other cables.

Edit: I went to an EMC seminar and the president of the club mentioned this when he tested cables for susceptibility and emissions.
It's just to cut down noise. Also the only good thing about Monster is their lifetime replacement guarantee thing.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I think the ability to fix your cable would be quite nice if it failed at a gig, but honestly you should just carry a spare.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Monsters + lifetime warranty FTW.

Gold plated connectors are used for corrosion resistance and marketing - they do not enhance the signal.
Monsters are overpriced as shit. Live Wires and Planet Waves are much better value for the money. And they also have lifetime warranties.

I've been using the same Live Wires for 3 years, stepping on them and abusing them daily. Out of the 7 or so cables I own, only one has stopped working after all that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Monsters are overpriced as shit. Live Wires and Planet Waves are much better value for the money. And they also have lifetime warranties.

I've been using the same Live Wires for 3 years, stepping on them and abusing them daily. Out of the 7 or so cables I own, only one has stopped working after all that.

I personally hate LiveWires. They have the screw on tips that come undone easily and then you can just tear off the input very easily. Happened to me. More than once.

I have 4 monster s100 cables. I paid ~$50 for all of them, 2 21ft and 2 12ft. Musicians Friend has them for the uber cheap, if they ever break I get free new ones. Can't be beat IMO.

Planet Waves are great - I use their little ones for patch cables.