Page 1 of 2
I used to use Acoustica Beatcraft if I needed to program drums. I love that program and its so easy to use. I now have EZ Drummer, which I can use with my midi keyboard or program them in Logic with the Piano Roll, but its way too hard to do it that way. Is there anyway I can use the sounds from EZ Drummer in Acoustica Beatcraft? If not I guess I'll hafta find some other drum sounds to put in there or possibly record my actual drum kit at home and use those sounds individually
Quote by TechnicolorType
Too hard to do it that way?

That's cute.

You haven't been very nice lately.
EDIT:^This is the moment to make another period joke for her sig. Do it.

I use Guitar Pro to do most of my drum programming, then tweak articulations and dynamics in my DAW. For the most part, GP5 drum notation matches up with EZDrummer, though you do need to mess around with the cymbals a bit to take full advantage of the samples available.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by TechnicolorType

That's cute.

Well I guess I shouldn't say hard.......more like it takes way too ****ing long. In Beatcraft I can easily make drums for an entire song in a very short time. With the piano roll its not that easy. Especially cuz I'm new to it.
Quote by Das_Skittles
EDIT:^This is the moment to make another period joke for her sig. Do it.

Mmmmm estrogen.

Quote by anthsband
Well I guess I shouldn't say hard.......more like it takes way too ****ing long. In Beatcraft I can easily make drums for an entire song in a very short time. With the piano roll its not that easy. Especially cuz I'm new to it.

Make the drum track in Beatcraft -> export .wav -> import into Logic?
Quote by Meelad360
Mmmmm estrogen.

Make the drum track in Beatcraft -> export .wav -> import into Logic?

Yeah thats what I'm going to do but my question is: can I use the drum sounds from EZ Drummer in Beatcraft? Are the drum sounds from the EZ Drummer program kept in a folder or are they just kinda in the program? cuz if they're in a folder I can just use the audio files from there, program the drums in beatcraft, import the finished drum track into logic
Quote by anthsband
Yeah thats what I'm going to do but my question is: can I use the drum sounds from EZ Drummer in Beatcraft? Are the drum sounds from the EZ Drummer program kept in a folder or are they just kinda in the program? cuz if they're in a folder I can just use the audio files from there, program the drums in beatcraft, import the finished drum track into logic

Yes. EZDrummer's samples are somewhere in the program directory, as a whole bunch of .wav files. That's why the install is so big; I use SD2.0, which has an 18GB install for the base program alone. Most of that is samples. However, I don't know if Beatcraft allows you to load your own samples (I've never actually used Beatcraft, tbh).

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Meelad360
You haven't been very nice lately.
lately? examples pls. and seriously, programming on a piano roll is about as simple as it gets. the first post makes it sound like he was so quick to give up with it.
Quote by anthsband
Changing to something you aren't familiar with can be harder at first, but honestly you should get experience with a piano roll. If you ever want to program like anything then that's how it'll be done. You might do drums another way and be satisfied, but what happens when you want to program a string part to sit in your mix? Or a warm piano intro?

You'll be back to having the issue with the piano roll.

So you should just use it. It doesn't take much time at all. You click where the drum hits go. You can make drums for an entire song in a very short time just as you can elsewhere.

If you don't like a certain piano roll then try another DAW. e.g. I dislike Reaper's piano roll much but FL's is great.
Quote by anthsband

Oh...sorry about that. I personally don't have experience with either but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use EZ Drummer as an insert in Beatcraft.

Quote by TechnicolorType
lately? examples pls.

Quote by TechnicolorType
A lot of newb guitarists like yourself TS don't understand the difference between technical skill and regular playing skill... It's something every noob guitarist like you needs to understand how to hear.

Quote by TechnicolorType

That's cute.

Last edited by Meelad360 at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by TechnicolorType
l
If you don't like a certain piano roll then try another DAW. e.g. I dislike Reaper's piano roll much but FL's is great.

That's my biggest complaint about Reaper. Shit is so infuriating, but at $60, I'll deal.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

If you actually read that thread then you'd see the topic creator had been playing guitar for a few months. That would make him a newbie.

He was also directly attacking rock guitarists.

I sincerely apologize for not agreeing that plenty of great guitarists are bad because they didn't sweep pick at 500 bpm.
Quote by TechnicolorType
If you actually read that thread then you'd see the topic creator had been playing guitar for a few months. That would make him a newbie.

He was also directly attacking rock guitarists.

I sincerely apologize for not agreeing that plenty of great guitarists are bad because they didn't sweep pick at 500 bpm.

Alright, so you agree you haven't been very nice lately? haha

Plus are you Emmy on Sneap? >_>
Quote by Meelad360
Alright, so you agree you haven't been very nice lately? haha

Plus are you Emmy on Sneap? >_>
No. I disagree. I didn't find my post mean at all. All I said was he was a newbie guitarist. I don't understand how that's offensive since he was a beginner, especially since he was attacking great musicians.
Nearly the entire thread was against him so there's no reason to single me out.

And if you look at just about any topic in the recordings section that has a post by me, you'll see an informative and helpful post. I would call going out of my way to help people as being nice.

and yes. but I rarely make a post. I don't fit in there.
I don't fit in here either, but at least people are a little more friendly.
Quote by Das_Skittles
Yes. EZDrummer's samples are somewhere in the program directory, as a whole bunch of .wav files. That's why the install is so big; I use SD2.0, which has an 18GB install for the base program alone. Most of that is samples. However, I don't know if Beatcraft allows you to load your own samples (I've never actually used Beatcraft, tbh).

ok cool. I'll hafta find that folder. Yeah Beatcraft lets you load whatever sample you want.

So you should just use it. It doesn't take much time at all. You click where the drum hits go. You can make drums for an entire song in a very short time just as you can elsewhere.

I'll eventually learn it. As of now I really don't have a use for it. If i need a keyboard part I get my midi out and play it, ya know? I rarely program drums, I usually record them for real, but my band has a big show coming up and we need to finish a little demo to give out so I'm just gonna program the drums real quick and record the actual drums later. Thanks for everyone's help
To be honest the pit doesn't count for mean posts (not saying thats Techni's post was mean, as that whole thread was a cluster ****). We all have said something stupid or mean just for the **** of it lol I do it more and more every day.

OT: You could try to tap it out on keyboard which I will assure you is harder than the piano roll.
I used to use beatcraft. they use frikin' weird samples and you can't import others into it as far as I know, see if you can find a different program for doing what you want.

TT: not trying to be a jerk, but I'm siding with these guys, I don't think I've ever witnessed you being genuinely friendly around here, you always come off as just a jerk, dunno why that is, but it is. whether you like being that way or whatever it is, its really quite annoying. Just work on your delivery I guess..
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I used to use beatcraft. they use frikin' weird samples and you can't import others into it as far as I know, see if you can find a different program for doing what you want.

TT: not trying to be a jerk, but I'm siding with these guys, I don't think I've ever witnessed you being genuinely friendly around here, you always come off as just a jerk, dunno why that is, but it is. whether you like being that way or whatever it is, its really quite annoying. Just work on your delivery I guess..

Sounds like she's a comedian.
Quote by Meelad360

I've definitely gotten some laughs outta her.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I've definitely gotten some laughs outta her.

Wait so she IS a comedian?
Techni keeps it real around here when some people are to nice...I think she is more honest than mean...I mean I have had disagreements with her but we all have opinions....she is just opinionated
Quote by Meelad360
Wait so she IS a comedian?

It IS possible, I'm never quite sure. maybe thats why she acts how she does? its part of her "character" to be "funny"?

EDIT: Its not that she can't be opinionated, heck, I"m opinionated, come to GG&A and I'm one of the most opinionated guys there. its the fact that she is never nice...like...ever about what she says. and to be honest, not all of her advice is sound (not saying mine is) and that doesn't help her case when she comes off as cocky as she does
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Apr 13, 2011,
Are you guys seriously going to turn this into a thread about Techni's demeanor?

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Das_Skittles
Are you guys seriously going to turn this into a thread about Techni's demeanor?

I had no intention of turning this into some kind of flame war.

I've noticed how she goes about things sometimes and called her out this time. That is all.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I don't think you can access the individual samples that EZD or SD2 use.

To be honest, it's really best to get used to using the piano roll. I pretty much program all my drums 4-8 bars a time (humanize and all that jazz), then loop that, making any fills or adjustments I need on the duplicated copies. IMO this is the fastest and most efficient way to do it.
Quote by Odirunn
I don't think you can access the individual samples that EZD or SD2 use.

To be honest, it's really best to get used to using the piano roll. I pretty much program all my drums 4-8 bars a time (humanize and all that jazz), then loop that, making any fills or adjustments I need on the duplicated copies. IMO this is the fastest and most efficient way to do it.

Basically everything said here. I will say though you could export each sound individually that EZD or SD2 has then re-enter them, but that is a waste of time and you might as well just find better samples if you are going to do that.
^I just checked my install directory; SD2's samples are in some format I've never encountered (.obw), but EZDrummer's are organized by piece (snare, kick, hi hat, etc.) in .wav files. They're not clearly labelled, but I would assume you can do whatever you want with them.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Well, learn to piano roll. Seriously, its the easiest ****ing thing on the planet to do. Even the more complex beats I've used don't take more than 5 minutes to program
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Well, learn to piano roll. Seriously, its the easiest ****ing thing on the planet to do. Even the more complex beats I've used don't take more than 5 minutes to program

this, its an invaluable skill that if you plan on actually recording things continuously, you'll definitely want it and want to be quick with it.
Ok so after not being able to find the samples from EZ Drummer I decided to just do it on Piano Roll. After messing around with it, it is quite easy to do. I still don't understand how you do like a triplet on a snare with it though. Can somebody explain how to do triplets/quads/etc? do I just hafta make the note shorter and make sure its in the right place?
I'm gonna back Emily here - I'm more of an arsehole to people anyway - but more to the point, what she said first is exactly what I was gonna say. I program drums for demo tracks I make in Logic using the Piano Roll and nothing else, never had complaints before and I know many others who work this way.

If you're too lazy to program in a way that gives you all the control that you want, including some things EZDrummer etc. can't offer, then that's your problem but don't knock a great way of programming drums just because it takes a while to get used to.

Also, she's actually someone I think comes across quite fairly... yeah, she can have her times when she takes a dislike to someone's tone (be honest, you do Emily ) but I think we all suffer that trait and I certainly have my moments when my mood in the real world is carried on to here!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by anthsband
Ok so after not being able to find the samples from EZ Drummer I decided to just do it on Piano Roll. After messing around with it, it is quite easy to do. I still don't understand how you do like a triplet on a snare with it though. Can somebody explain how to do triplets/quads/etc? do I just hafta make the note shorter and make sure its in the right place?

Somewhere you should be able to change your grid/snap. Triplets will most likely be labeled as 1/8T, 1/16T etc. For more complex notation such as septuplets, etc you'll probably have to put those things in by hand with no grid/snap enabled. This is for the best because very few drummer would play advanced rhythms like that perfectly on time anyway.
Quote by Odirunn
Somewhere you should be able to change your grid/snap. Triplets will most likely be labeled as 1/8T, 1/16T etc. For more complex notation such as septuplets, etc you'll probably have to put those things in by hand with no grid/snap enabled. This is for the best because very few drummer would play advanced rhythms like that perfectly on time anyway.

I could cuz I'm the shit! haha Ok I'll try that. thanks
I tried doing what you said with the snap but I don't have that option under snap. I just have the normal Beat/Bar/Smart/etc. This is annoying haha I asked my friend who went to Full Sail so hopefully he gets back to me on that, although he gets Logic and Pro Tools commands and stuff mixed up a lot unless he's sitting there looking at it, which is understandable
I suggest getting a dedicated drumpad :P will make your life so much easier and the overall experience so much enjoyable.

Suggestions: Akai Mpk or Korg padKontrol
Test them , both are great its a matter of taste which one you take home.

have fun
Have you tried writing up the drum parts in a sheet music programme and then exporting them as a midi file to import into your DAW?

I personally use Guitar Pro 5 and once you've written up a couple of songs on there it's real easy to programme and it'll teach you a thing or two about drum sheet music. Also you'll have a score to print off if you end up playing the songs in a band.

Literally a basic 4/4 beat in GP5 is:
42-42-42-42
36-----38----

That took what, 4 seconds to write.

Give it a try, or maybe look into something like Sibelious, thats pretty popular among classical musicians but i don't like it personally.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Apr 16, 2011,
Quote by Meelad360

She knows a hell of a lot more about recording than I did when I was... um... 25.... maybe 30. Never mind the fact that she's something like 17.

I don't agree with her on everything, and sometimes (though not often), she is plain incorrect, but I expect that description could be levied at me too, so I'm not going to cut her down for it.

Are you?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Page 1 of 2