Can the Last One to Leave the Dark Ages Turn the Lights on Please? Ye Mediaeval Thead

Page 1 of 3
I searched the annals of UG and found nothing in the first half-dozen pages or so.

So...
In this thread anything mediaeval goes.
You can talk in any archaic dialect you desire, discuss upcoming tournaments/reenactments and the latest archaeological discoveries, pose situations, debate contentious theories, historical records and interpretations, share outfits, reconstructions, practices, recipes and silly stuff and of course, ask questions.

Introducing oneself with full heraldic pomp is entirely appropriate. And expected

I'm thinking primarily of the mediaeval Europe, but stuff from contemporary Asia, south and mezoamerica is just as welcome.

N.B. For the purposes of the thread, 'mediaeval' covers the period from the decline of the classical Roman empire up to, but not beyond, the Renaissance. Of course, as I'm a little biased towards the darker ages, late Iron Age (including 'Celtic' cultures) is fine, even Bronze if I'm feeling generous. But no closer towards modernity!

EDIT: If anyone would like to either PM or post any big upcoming 'mediaeval' events in your area, I'll compile and add a rudimentary calendar to the OP.

MEDIEVIT: On 9th and 10th July (Saturday and Sunday), near Caboolture in SE QLD for those of us in eastern Australia, will be the brilliant
Abbey Mediaeval Fair and Tournament.
Apparently it's one of the best in the world (as I have been told be people who go to the 'proper' ones over in the UK and such). And our little Abbey Museum has a pretty impressive collection in itself. PM me for details or stick http://abbeytournament.com/ in your ye olde URL bar and check it out!
He likes Keats but she's into Yeats - it's a matter of Romance

E-Mistress to UG's Finest Gentleman

Come away, oh human child,
To the waters and the wild
With a fairy hand in hand;
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
Last edited by miss_muso~ at Jun 22, 2011,
Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum.
Heil!
Tell me, how/where do you get the characters from? It's been frustrating me forever.

Quote by miss_muso~
Heil!
Tell me, how/where do you get the characters from? It's been frustrating me forever.

this. We are lost forever!
I leik music
Quote by miss_muso~
Heil!

I just googled Beowulf and copied the first verse from there >_>

EDIT: they're all in the character map, though. Just google the letter you want and you should be able to find out how to do them.
*prepares for people to add "-eth" and "-est" to every word to try to sound "medieval"*

My Chaucer and Arthurian Literature professor would have their heads

On topic...I love the entire medieval period, and lately I've been interested in European encounters with sub-Saharan Africa and the remains of the Persian Empire during the Middle Ages...if anyone has any cool info >_>
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Bonus vesper, sino mihi ut induco myself. Meus nomen est Michael, filius of Andrew ex gens of Anderson.

(Good evening, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Michael, son of Andrew from the clan of Anderson.)
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mike_anderson25
Bonus vesper, sino mihi ut induco myself. Meus nomen est Michael, filius of Andrew ex gens of Anderson.

(Good evening, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Michael, son of Andrew from the clan of Anderson.)

Google translate for the lose
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by Beautiful

Fine, I'll go dig up my old Latin textbooks.

*trudges off back to NZ*

I hope this thread grows, I look forward to some epic historical debate/history lessons.

- Rene Magritte
Quote by Beautiful

Ah well. I can't pretend to be fluent in anything other than this old thing, but I do have numerous dictionaries/reference books for nearly everything, so if anyone has a question about a rudimentary word, phrase or etymology but doesn't trust google, I can probably find it.

Quote by hriday_hizarika
Medieval or mediæval, not mediaeval.

Mediaeval is a dictionary approved variant that doesn't require a quantum keyboard, and annoys me far less than 'medieval'. I won't harangue you if you don't harangue me

Last edited by miss_muso~ at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by miss_muso~
Ah well. I can't pretend to be fluent in anything other than this old thing, but I do have numerous dictionaries/reference books for nearly everything, so if anyone has a question about a rudimentary word, phrase or etymology but doesn't trust google, I can probably find it.

Duly noted, my lady. Goddamn I'd kill for a resource like that!

- Rene Magritte
Quote by RU Experienced?
BRB, bubonic plague sweeping through Europe.

Its the damned jews I tell ya
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Stickied. This thread better be good.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by Twist of fate
Art thou feeling it now, mr krabs?

- Rene Magritte
Quote by mike_anderson25

Who hereby resides in a pineapple beneath the depths of the ocean?
AbsorbentRobert SquareBottoms!

Absorbent and colored like the sun is he

If frivolities such as aquatic life is hereby requested

Stand ready above deck and draw

Say, does anyone here know ought about swordmaking? Or smithing in general?

Quote by CoreysMonster
I just googled Beowulf and copied the first verse from there >_>

EDIT: they're all in the character map, though. Just google the letter you want and you should be able to find out how to do them.

So I'll just type the character I want into google OH WAIT A MINUTE
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Anyone wanna join my band? We're called the Flagellants...
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by The_Casinator
So, where are those goddamn witches?

They turned me into a newt.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
So, we're expecting at least three pages of poor puns first then?

Good old Pit.

Quote by miss_muso~
Say, does anyone here know ought about swordmaking? Or smithing in general?

Yes, though I'm better at fletching. Shame I hate working with wood. I much prefer working with hammers.
I beseech ye all to stop so I have no cause to add the abonable forms of your heads to my wall.

Sh*t, ***** knows what that was.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by whalepudding
So I'll just type the character I want into google OH WAIT A MINUTE

Awynay, i BEE ye tahn's drunkard, aye indeeed
Quote by Kensai
They turned me into a newt.

Oh no, now you won't fit into your clothes for the best dressed thread.

Quote by Twist of fate
i have level 71 smithing on runescape my names takerr add me

Quote by Colohue
Yes, though I'm better at fletching. Shame I hate working with wood. I much prefer working with hammers.

Got any tips for a beginner? I like wood too, but I mainly whittle... never tried arrows. Chess sets and dragons are more my thing.

You should all gtfo. It's because of the dark age that humanity is as ass backwards and ****ed up as it is. Stupid ass religious, witch burning fools.

I would rather take my chances with the Romans.
Quote by miss_muso~

Got any tips for a beginner? I like wood too, but I mainly whittle... never tried arrows. Chess sets and dragons are more my thing.

Well, an interesting range of jealousy and envy just washed over me.

Fletching is basically just continual whittling. Getting a round shaft is always going to be difficult, and the modern film involving arrows always has them done incorrectly.

The trick is to turn the wood and hold the blade steady instead of the other way around on your last few passes. You'll never quite get it perfect, but without buying or making equipment that contains blades and turns the wood for you (like a large scale pencil sharpener) it'll never be perfect.

Smithing is fun. Making the moulds takes a lot of time, but once they're done you get to the point where you're hammering it smooth while all you can feel is the heat.

I like swords. I've spent ages designing/making them for my main story, just for help with the characters and the moves.
Quote by Colgate Total
You should all gtfo. It's because of the dark age that humanity is as ass backwards and ****ed up as it is. Stupid ass religious, witch burning fools.

I would rather take my chances with the Romans.

You're so wrong it's humourous
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Last edited by jambi_mantra at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by Colohue
Well, an interesting range of jealousy and envy just washed over me.

Fletching is basically just continual whittling. Getting a round shaft is always going to be difficult, and the modern film involving arrows always has them done incorrectly.

The trick is to turn the wood and hold the blade steady instead of the other way around on your last few passes. You'll never quite get it perfect, but without buying or making equipment that contains blades and turns the wood for you (like a large scale pencil sharpener) it'll never be perfect.

Smithing is fun. Making the moulds takes a lot of time, but once they're done you get to the point where you're hammering it smooth while all you can feel is the heat.

I like swords. I've spent ages designing/making them for my main story, just for help with the characters and the moves.

I never realised that fletching involved making the whole arrow. I was under the impression that it was just putting the flights on... shows how much I know. I'll remember that if I ever try though, thanks.
What do you use moulds for in smithing? I've never come across any?
Also, what kind of stories are you making that you get to use swords and stuff? Sounds great, I think I want your job

humerous
So you've evidence of human remains in your latest dig then, eh?

Page 1 of 3