lately ive been looking for a new amp (my current one isnt doin it for me anymore) so ive started lookin around

so far ive been looking at:
Peavey Valveking 212 combo - $1129aus
Blackstar HT20 + 2x12 - $1300aus

would the valveking be able to give some good/decent metal tones? like lamb of god, fear factory, dream theater, disturbed, stuff like that

ive been seeing alot of mixed reviews about both amps, so i want something that has a nice deep crunch, but still clear

mostly just for bedroom playing at the moment, just want something better then my cube 60

AND NO I WONT BUY A NEW OR USED 6505, coz still looking at over $2000 for new/used

Budget: 1.5kaus
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by MetalManForLife at Apr 13, 2011,
Not really, you'd get a decent sound however. Lamb of God uses Mesas and the ValveKing ain't that.
i haven't personally played through either of the amps you mentioned, but two others you might want to look into is the bugera 333xl (3 channel) combo or bugera 6262 (2 channel) combo. they're all tube and can be switched between el34's and 6l6's, among other types of tubes.

although bugera has had reliability issues in the past, they claim to have fixed the problems, and i haven't seen any complaints about the new models.

in the US, they sell for about $650-ish
Quote by Kortez3000
Not really, you'd get a decent sound however. Lamb of God uses Mesas and the ValveKing ain't that.

that i kno, but mesa's over here im looking at over 3k+ just for the head, so i think ill pass on that

Quote by pedromiles101
i haven't personally played through either of the amps you mentioned, but two others you might want to look into is the bugera 333xl (3 channel) combo or bugera 6262 (2 channel) combo. they're all tube and can be switched between el34's and 6l6's, among other types of tubes.

although bugera has had reliability issues in the past, they claim to have fixed the problems, and i haven't seen any complaints about the new models.

in the US, they sell for about $650-ish

yeah ive been debating about a bugera 6260/6262, there roughly 1-1.2kaus, but not too sure about there reliability, coz knowing my luck id get the one thats busted or sumthin

but would a overdrive/distortion boost + decent eq give a better tone?
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Mesa Boogie? I would suggest Cornford, but it's meant for low gain settings. You seem to want balls to the walls since you said Metal.

I say Mesa Boogie Mark V. It's so ****ing versatile you won't know what to do with it.
w/ boost and eq..

will it get the job done? yes

will you be happy with it? probably not.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Fingerboy18
Mesa Boogie? I would suggest Cornford, but it's meant for low gain settings. You seem to want balls to the walls since you said Metal.

I say Mesa Boogie Mark V. It's so ****ing versatile you won't know what to do with it.

as good as mesa's are, they are REALLY expensive over here (http://www.allansmusic.com.au/prodcat/Guitar_Amps_and_Effects/brand/Mesa_Boogie.aspx) theres sum proof for everyone lol

really after something in the 1.5kaus price range, plus i think a mesa would be a bit too much overkill for bedroom playing
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Look around a bit more... but the valveking stock won't be a prog metal/heavy metal amp. It needs boost.

However;
http://www.galaxy-guitar.com.au/Peavey-6505+112-combo-349.aspx
The 6505 is a popular metal amp, and it's in your budget. The 6505 head is about 1500, but you need a cab, so this is the next best thing I guess and it'll run a cab.

With the blackstars, the HT-20 doesn't have that much gain; but the HT-40 is a step up, so consider that or even the stage 60.

The Blackstars will have better cleans than the Peavey, but it's a 6505... a very popular metal amp. Give both a try if you can and shop around a bit better. I'm sure you can get a better deal in Melbourne than I can in Adelaide.

http://www.nationalaudio.com.au/brands/Blackstar.html?page=2&sort=featured
Here is the Blackstar supplier prices... The Club 40 is easily in your budget, and is better for your wants than a HT20 and cab.

However, you may be able to get a better deal on a Stage 60 21 at Derringers or something, maybe a local shop too. That might fall into your $1500 AUD budget after all.

So yeah, Peavey 6505+ Combo or Stage 60 are my picks. Not sure what else there is around in AUS, but I've been interested in both of those.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 13, 2011,
although i usually champion a valveking in your case it probably will be a bit of a let down. VKs have a great 70s-early 80s metal sound but after that it starts to diminish in ability to get more modern metal sounds. with an overdrive you can get more out of it but i dunno about LOG or similar bands.
I bought a Peavey Valveking 212 - it was EXTREMELY loud. If you're moving on from bedroom playing, you're much much better off getting the Blackstar - i ended up getting a HT40 instead of the valveking, and its much more usable. Ok, so the peavey is much more geared towards metal, but the Blackstar does the job nearly as well, and if you need any more gain (which is unlikely) just wire up a Metal Zone or something My friend got HT20 and he gigs regularly with it, so it should be loud enough
^ I thought the VK was more suited towards rock and hard rock than metal - it's dark and the low end is flubby under high distortion.

It could do thrash, NWOBHM and glam though.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ I thought the VK was more suited towards rock and hard rock than metal - it's dark and the low end is flubby under high distortion.

It could do thrash, NWOBHM and glam though.

Some circuit modding can change that, but I doubt the OP wants to be mucking about inside his amp.

I'd only do it if you could get some kind of distortion pedal. Otherwise, just continue to save. Maybe go for a 5150 or 6505 if you can find one, the 6505+ 112 isn't much more expensive than the Valveking.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Some circuit modding can change that, but I doubt the OP wants to be mucking about inside his amp.

I'd only do it if you could get some kind of distortion pedal. Otherwise, just continue to save. Maybe go for a 5150 or 6505 if you can find one, the 6505+ 112 isn't much more expensive than the Valveking.

This is true, but (IMO) it's totally not worth it unless you're married to the VK because options are limited.

You can easily flip the VK for enough to buy a better modern metal amp for nearly the same price.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by MetalManForLife
mostly just for bedroom playing at the moment, just want something better then my cube 60

i defo would never get a 2x12 if it was going to be used for a fair amount of bedroom use..

also peavey do a 1x12 6505+ combo which falls into your budget easy. amazing metal amp
Bear in mind: I own a valveking (112) and the stock speakers are TERRIBLE. That's actually where a lot of its muddiness comes from, apparently. I'm looking into an HT5 or an HT20 head myself, tried one in a GC today and I was impressed by the brief time I had with it (granted, it was an HT5 at low volume)
Quote by fluorescent46
I bought a Peavey Valveking 212 - it was EXTREMELY loud. If you're moving on from bedroom playing, you're much much better off getting the Blackstar - i ended up getting a HT40 instead of the valveking, and its much more usable. Ok, so the peavey is much more geared towards metal, but the Blackstar does the job nearly as well, and if you need any more gain (which is unlikely) just wire up a Metal Zone or something My friend got HT20 and he gigs regularly with it, so it should be loud enough

The HT20 isn't meant for high gain. The HT40 is a better bet if you're a metal player as it had a boost, and you won't need that distortion pedal so it wouldn't actually be a whole lot more expensive. The metal-zone will not sound half as good as the amp's distortion.
im gonna go to a music shop tomorrow that sells diffrent peavey amps, so im gonna give the 6505 combo and the vk a try

also is the vyper tube or the JSX combo any good? and does the 6505 come only as a 1x12 or can u get it in a 2x12?
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
The 2x12 6505 is around 2k I think. JSX is a Satriani commissioned thing I think, and the Vypyr tube is modelling. I guess it will sound all-right, but you get legit 6505 tone from the combo. The Vypyr won't be the same. Depends on how many tones you need for the money.
Don't dismiss the Vypyr. It does what it does very well. Look at 311ZOSOVHJH's recent new amp thread. He's a former VK owner who just bought a Vypyr and seems to be thrilled with the metal tones he's getting.
Yeah, but the Valveking isn't a modern metal amp. It's realistically a 6505 vs Vypyr thing here in the OP's budget.