I was practicing for say a hour or so learning songs. I went to change the song and i hit the b string 7 fret and bam it sounded dead. I tuned it and the high e sounded dead . Tried 12 e high dead ,all dead sounding. So im gonna change all the strings.

I just got this guitar a week ago from guitar center. Every lil kid had there dirty paws on it. Hopefully that is it. I had it specifically set up for me by there guitar tech. It played great otherwise. very nice sounding guitar.

You think its a trust rod issue? I play nines. ON a Hss. Im very picky on guitars if 1 lil thing goes bad i wanna return it. When it can be so simple.

I dont know the first thing on trust rod. I just know what it does. I dont have a hard shell care for it yet. Can the neck get warped? being out of a case and just sitting on stand? I baby my Taylor acoustic so.

Playing wise im rough on my strats. Love bending. I fig that's what there used for to take a beating. I like to say Albert king bends. I bend everything. Tommorow ill put strings on it i just polished it up and heading to bed gnight ug
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
wait....what did you hit it against and how hard?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It sounds like a string height issue or a bridge issue. if it is, than it's any easy fix. Just raise the string saddle until the notes ring out properly again. (You need a really small hex key; I don't remember the exact size, but if don't have one, get one; they're like <$4US), but keep an eye on your bridge. It could be that you're raising your bridge up or lowering it without noticing it. Anyways, if you do another set-up on it, it should fix the problem.

EDIT: If it's already been set up with a guitar tech than don't worry about doing a full set up. Just try adjusting the height on only the high e string.

You may want to check you intonation, and if you don't use the trem so much, try blocking it, then set up the guitar to the blocked trem. Then if you ever want to use the trem again just tighten the trem springs until you can just barely slide the "block" out. If done carefully, and if you're not incredibly concerned about being perfectly intonated, your strat should be set.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Apr 13, 2011,
Ive got some serious fretting issues on mine too. everyone tells me to intonate it. I havent done that yet because tuning its a bit of a hassle with only 3 working tuners lol, but it seems to be everyones solution. If I get around to it, Ill let you know how it works out.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Quote by satanicgurrl
Ive got some serious fretting issues on mine too. everyone tells me to intonate it. I havent done that yet because tuning its a bit of a hassle with only 3 working tuners lol, but it seems to be everyones solution. If I get around to it, Ill let you know how it works out.

Quick Question: What's innotation? I hear about it, but no one wants to explain what it is... And I'm kinda a gutiar noob (been playin about a year... I can already tap and pinch harmonic pretty decently... My alternate picking, I'm told for being just a year into this, is amazing. People always mistake me for have been playing for 4-5 years at guitar center. ALSO: Sweeping is my main issue right now. If you have any tips on that, I would love some.), so I'm really confused xD
Quote by NextDimebagDarr
Quick Question: What's innotation? I hear about it, but no one wants to explain what it is... And I'm kinda a gutiar noob (been playin about a year... I can already tap and pinch harmonic pretty decently... My alternate picking, I'm told for being just a year into this, is amazing. People always mistake me for have been playing for 4-5 years at guitar center. ALSO: Sweeping is my main issue right now. If you have any tips on that, I would love some.), so I'm really confused xD

The bosting isn't necissary

An intonated guitar is as close to in tune as possible. The strings and all the frets are in tune. If you're Guitar is tuned but the frets don't sound right the intonation needs to be adjusted. Hope that helps!
tuning a guitar makes the right notes happen on the open string. Intonation makes the note right on the frets. to adjust intonation you need to turn the screws that move the saddle back and forth.

making the saddle go away from the neck will make your intonation flatter. As the saddle comes closer to the frets, the notes get sharper.

intonation is checked at the 12th fret.

Crate EL-10G
ya ill fiddle with it . I just put new strings. The 4 string always bothers me on any pair of strings feels weird to me. My bridge saddle things ( i dunno what there called) is tightened or loosened by a Philips screw driver.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
there was a device the guitar center tech used to do inotation. Where can i get one?

one of these?
http://www.plek.com/

or one of these??
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-603-4-Profilated-Phillips-Screwdriver/dp/B0000302VQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1302707155&sr=1-9

Crate EL-10G
He was probably just using the tuner. All you need for intonation is a tuner and a screwdriver.

This isn't an intonation problem anyway. This is a truss rod or fret issue.
Quote by silly6-string
I was practicing for say a hour or so learning songs. I went to change the song and i hit the b string 7 fret and bam it sounded dead. I tuned it and the high e sounded dead . Tried 12 e high dead ,all dead sounding. So im gonna change all the strings.

What do you mean by "Sounded Dead" Anyway? Do the strings stop ringing out or do they just sound dull? Did you downtune? If the strings sound dull its just because the strings are old.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Apr 13, 2011,
Ok. Just curious, Did you replace them with the same gauge and brand of strings? (If you put heavier strings on its no wonder its fixed since there's more tension on the neck)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
do do trust rod u have to detune all ur strings right?

just disappointed i had this guitar for a week and i have flaws. Not good

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by silly6-string
do do trust rod u have to detune all ur strings right?

just disappointed i had this guitar for a week and i have flaws. Not good

At the very least the D and G strings. Or else you can't twist your hex key.
Quote by EspTro
wait....what did you hit it against and how hard?

+1

i bet you jarred the neck and something shifted.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
he said he "hit" the string, as in picked it.

Look at the b string from the side of your guitar, and see how close the string is to the 8th fret when youre holding the 7th fret. pluck it, and if it visibly vibrates to the point of touching the 8th fret, then youre going to need to raise the action a bit, or you could do the following.

get the right allen wrench, and give the truss rod a 1/5 turn to the right, to give the neck a little bit of a relief, see if that helps.

it should take like 20 minutes to notice if it fixed the problem, if not then give it another 1/5 turn and it should be ready to jam

edit: also you should switch up to 10s, its not much a difference to playability, but the strings vibrate less violently than 9s, which would reduce fret buzz and dead spots on the fretboard
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 14, 2011,
i love the bends of 9. these are xl. is ther 10 with the bend of a 9 string?may be slinkys?

i turned rob a tad. The rod is so tuff lol.i live in upstate ny all i have is a gig bag. What can i do storing wise to keep it forever. etc so neck dont warp etc.

Id like to change bridge but if i do that my gc warranty will void i bet

alswo seems like no matter the day my strings go out of tune fast.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by silly6-string
i love the bends of 9. these are xl. is ther 10 with the bend of a 9 string?may be slinkys?

i turned rob a tad. The rod is so tuff lol.i live in upstate ny all i have is a gig bag. What can i do storing wise to keep it forever. etc so neck dont warp etc.

Id like to change bridge but if i do that my gc warranty will void i bet

alswo seems like no matter the day my strings go out of tune fast.

nah it wont void your GC warranty, everybody swaps out parts in their guitars.

as for the tuning, see the little screws on the part of the tuners that you hold and twist to tune it? tighten the screws so that the tuners are either moderately snug or really tight.
My squier '51 was going out of tune like mad when i put 12s on it, but i tightened those nice and tight, and it holds tune perfectly now.
you also have to wind the strings on correctly.
google: correct way to restring guitar
Quote by silly6-string

I just got this guitar a week ago from guitar center. Every lil kid had there dirty paws on it. Hopefully that is it. I had it specifically set up for me by there guitar tech. It played great otherwise. very nice sounding guitar.

You think its a trust rod issue? I play nines. ON a Hss. Im very picky on guitars if 1 lil thing goes bad i wanna return it. When it can be so simple.

I dont know the first thing on trust rod. I just know what it does. I dont have a hard shell care for it yet. Can the neck get warped? being out of a case and just sitting on stand? I baby my Taylor acoustic so.

Playing wise im rough on my strats. Love bending. I fig that's what there used for to take a beating. I like to say Albert king bends. I bend everything. Tommorow ill put strings on it i just polished it up and heading to bed gnight ug

When you say dead you mean no sound right? and not fret buzz.

Dude replace your pots. Thats whats causing that issue.

Changing strings and messing with the rod isnt going to change anything.

My bass did that I have a jazz bass. It was my pots

The bridge and nut adjust attenuation and action of the guitar. If those are out the guitar will give you buzzy notes. Not no sound.

No sound is an electronic issue usually the pots
Last edited by reggaebassman at Apr 14, 2011,
he didnt say no sound dude. he said dead. theres a difference. i know what im talking about.

and if he specified it was certain strings, how do you figure the pots are choosing which strings to neglect?
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 15, 2011,
DO NOT TOUCH THE TRUSS ROD. That is the easiest way to screw up a guitar an break your neck.

If you are having problems fretting out, the action might be too low, or most likely your frets are either high or damaged. look for little scratches on the frets. if there are some, tape off the neck and pickups with masking tape and then go over the frets with #0000 Steel wool to get the scratches out and shine up the frets. You might also want to lower/raise your action until it is comfortable to play, but you don't get any (or very little) fret buzz.

Or you could just take it to a tech and have them do a whole setup and not worry about it.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.