Page 1 of 2
So apparently its frowned upon Playing guitar at mid night, so i need some head phones to connect into my amp, are there head phones that can provide me with the following;
-full ear cover (not ear buds)
-stable and stays on my head
- a long cord to be able to move
- sound quality
- durability (wont break down and rattle)
- wont blow my ear drums again.
Quote by behind_you
Ostrich thread would've been much better.

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
screw neighbors

Agreed! Although, you can't ignore them when the call the police, hmm.
Quote by Fatlumpthe1st
Agreed! Although, you can't ignore them when the call the police, hmm.

Sounds like a challenge
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
I'm not sure I've ever tried a pair of headphones that don't fall off when I play... ended up just going with earbuds since I gave up looking.

Or do this:

Edit: for the cord you'll most likely just have to get an extender 1/8" male - a million feet - 1/8" female - headphones.
Last edited by ChrisBW at Apr 13, 2011,
...why do you need to play plugged in? I almost never do unless I'm playing with other people or dialing in pedlz.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Beats by Dre., if you want the best sound and full ear coverage, but they are spendy. $300.

Otherwise, Skull Candy makes a very good full ear coverage set for around $40, they have very good bass response and sound. They aren't as good as the Dre's, but they arent very far behind, and the $260 extra for the Beats, isn't really worth it.

Edit: And you will need a cord extender and probably a jack adapter to hook into the amp. Both can be found at a Best Buy or a Radio Shack.
Last edited by Wylde_Life at Apr 13, 2011,
I recommend either Sennheiser HD280 or Ultrasone HFI-780 though they are quite spendy @ $100 and $249.

Cheaper options are the Sennheiser HD202 II and Ultrasone HFI-450 and they are $40 for the Sennheiser $100 for the Ultrasone.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I use AKG 142 HD and they are pretty much the best headphones I've ever tried.
Comes in at about $120.

They are "open" headphones, so they don't shut out all outside sound, which is fine imo.
They are also really comfy...I wear mine for several hours at a time with no problems.
Fairly long cord, and I also like that there's just a single cable coming out from one side. I hate ones that have a cord for both ear covers.

I'd really advise against skull candy. I have tried a few headphones from them and they just feel cheap and they never sat comfortably on my head.
Quote by Wylde_Life
Beats by Dre., if you want the best sound and full ear coverage, but they are spendy. $300.

Otherwise, Skull Candy makes a very good full ear coverage set for around $40, they have very good bass response and sound. They aren't as good as the Dre's, but they arent very far behind, and the $260 extra for the Beats, isn't really worth it.

Edit: And you will need a cord extender and probably a jack adapter to hook into the amp. Both can be found at a Best Buy or a Radio Shack.

They charge $300 for beats by Dr. Dre in the US?

They're not that good... I'm not sure how much input he had in the design and if it would have been useful engineering input, lol.

If you're after a set of headphones, and aren't into amplified hi-fi sets where you're spending in the thousands: http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=143
Audio-technica A900s are considered one of the top unamplified headphones.

I have a set and they're comfortable, you get a 3m cord, but you can just use an extension cable, they're extremely well built, and are monitor grade.

My guitar teacher tried mine out as he needs monitors for recording, and the clarity and soundstage were impressive by his standards.

They have a slightly dark sound; bass is punchy and tight, and treble has plenty of presence; synths sound huge on them. Mids don't have as much emphasis, but they're all there loud and clear, and they sound as good with Santana as they do with Djent.

A cheaper pair is the AD700s: http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=178
They're also fantastic cans for the money. Good sountstage,

Audiotechnica seem to be putting out a fair few quality lines.

As far as Sennheiser go, I have a set of 515s which I got cheap but never use because they sound bland and are not worth the full price.
I have 201s as well, and although not circumaural, they're great headphones for $25. Cheaply made, but the sound is pretty good. I've used them with my guitar, although you don't get a three dimensional presentation with them as you do with the A900s or the open 515s.

edit:
====
The links are an Aussie site; You should be getting them cheaper in the US because our taxes and costs are higher down under.

Also, with any headphone, you'll need an eq to get the most out of them. You can do that with any music player on the PC, mp3 players that aren't ipods, and for guitar it doesn't matter.

About the A900's sound.
A flat eq into the A900s sounds good, but you will want to lower the high treble slightly, high mids are fine, maybe boost the low mids a bit and the bass slightly for a bit more kick.

That's basically as much as I can say about them without you trying them, lol.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by mcraddict81592
...why do you need to play plugged in? I almost never do unless I'm playing with other people or dialing in pedlz.

I don't know why you wouldn't play plugged in if you can. That's why I buy gear - to use it.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 465s and I love them. They were only like $60ish. Sennheiser makes some great stuff, especially if you're willing to spend a little more.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
I don't know why you wouldn't play plugged in if you can. That's why I buy gear - to use it.

Same reason I wouldn't drive somewhere within walking distance? Use when necessary.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by Wylde_Life

Noooooo. the Beats are way overpriced.

For the $300 the Beats cost you can get some serious headphones, not some hipster over-marketed, overpriced piece of crap.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Noooooo. the Beats are way overpriced.

For the $300 the Beats cost you can get some serious headphones, not some hipster over-marketed, overpriced piece of crap.

this. beats are shocking for their price. im surprised people actually even bother to test them to see if theyre good or not. read the name. keyword = dr dre = They're gonna suck, and be marketed towards clueless idiots that won't even search for reviews and read specifications. just see the brand, cosmetic look and price tag then automatically think they're awesome
Wicked, i think ill settle with the Skull Candy i looked em up saw some reviews and they wont burn another hole in my wallet.

=) thanks guys always a help
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
Alright, alright. Whatever. Here's what I'll do. I'm an evolutionary biology major. When I graduate I'll give her all my text books for your birthday. And I won't even get her pregnant.
Quote by Boer Goat
Wicked, i think ill settle with the Skull Candy i looked em up saw some reviews and they wont burn another hole in my wallet.

nonono, the same rule applies for skullcandys as what i said for dr dre tbh . except theyre a little cheaper as they dont have a big artist name behind them like dr dre

As far as my opinion goes, sennheiser have never let me down. good quality
Quote by mcraddict81592
Same reason I wouldn't drive somewhere within walking distance? Use when necessary.

You don't play metal, huh?

TS, what amp are you using? You should be able to get decent tone at roughly TV volume levels.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Boer Goat

Seriously... a cheap set of Sennheisers, Audio-technicas and other serious hifi brands should perform better than skull-candies. SKs are meant to be fashion accessories from what I've seen, lol.

What's your budget btw?
When I play with headphones, I do not put them over the ears but over the temples.

Why? I am only listening to a distorted guitar not monitoring a recording. I do not need to have precise sonic quality. And it saves my ear drums.
Quote by irnmadn88
When I play with headphones, I do not put them over the ears but over the temples.

Why? I am only listening to a distorted guitar not monitoring a recording. I do not need to have precise sonic quality. And it saves my ear drums.

Master volume? If not get a cheap headphone amp or some sort of headphone attenuator for them maybe just so you can control the levels?
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 13, 2011,
I just bought a pair of the Sennheiser HD something or others... they were $99. They sound great, fit comfortably, and you can get a 25' 1/4" extension for $10. Beats are incredibly overpriced.

But honestly if you're just using it for quiet practice, you can probably use any comfortable over ear headphones. Sound quality is usually not much of an issue. I usually use earbuds when I jam quiet, but now that I have those other ones I'm sure I'll use them instead. I bought them primarily for monitoring when I record.

What is your budget? We can recommend headphones all day, but if your budget is only $30, then we're all just pissing into the wind.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by mcraddict81592

I find it necessary to hear the tone I've spent so much time and money trying to create.

Playing without being plugged in takes away so many great things about guitar. I don't really care if you do it or not, but it's not a "use when necessary" thing at all. That's just not a good analogy.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by 3074326
I find it necessary to hear the tone I've spent so much time and money trying to create.

Playing without being plugged in takes away so many great things about guitar. I don't really care if you do it or not, but it's not a "use when necessary" thing at all. That's just not a good analogy.

i think it is a use when necessary type of thing, it just happens to always be necessary
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
i think it is a use when necessary type of thing, it just happens to always be necessary

Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by baumaxx1
Master volume? If not get a cheap amp or some sort of attenuator for them maybe just so you can control the levels?

I have a small solid state amp with a headphone out and an FX processor with one too. Heck, I can even play with a useable sound at bedroom volume just running a pedal into a power amp.

It is not the volume per se, just the nature of the sound. I just happen to prefer not listening to high gain distortion directed at my ear drums. With the headphones on the temples, the sound resonates just fine.

And not having the headphones directly over the ears allows me to hear if my son is stirring late at night.
Ohk, the distortion won't damage your hearing. It's high Sound Pressure Levels that do, but yeah, if you find the tone too raw, fair enough.
Quote by 3074326

You're saying my analogy doesn't fit my situation that you've never experienced? You're either an idiot or simply unwilling to think, and in either case not worth my time.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by baumaxx1
Master volume? If not get a cheap amp or some sort of attenuator for them maybe just so you can control the levels?

For the record:

ATTENUATORS DO NOT TURN LOUD AMPS INTO QUIET BEDROOM AMPS. All they do is let you get cranked up tone at basically no less than stage volume. i.e. it will still be loud enough to piss of your neighbors.

Quote by 3074326

It is a good analogy. If you don't need it, don't use it. You don't always have to be plugged in, especially if you want to actually improve your playing.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by jpatan
I just bought a pair of the Sennheiser HD something or others... they were $99. They sound great, fit comfortably, and you can get a 25' 1/4" extension for $10. Beats are incredibly overpriced.

But honestly if you're just using it for quiet practice, you can probably use any comfortable over ear headphones. Sound quality is usually not much of an issue. I usually use earbuds when I jam quiet, but now that I have those other ones I'm sure I'll use them instead. I bought them primarily for monitoring when I record.

What is your budget? We can recommend headphones all day, but if your budget is only $30, then we're all just pissing into the wind.

+1

and take a look at this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Stereo+Sound+Headphones+-+Black/8256656.p?id=1218014228229&skuId=8256656&st=sennheiser&cp=1&lp=2

and this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sennheiser-Wireless-RF-Headphones-RS110/4697871

Sennheiser is by far your best bet for a cheaper heaphones my $40 set beat boses $100 dollar set
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Quote by stratman_13
For the record:

ATTENUATORS DO NOT TURN LOUD AMPS INTO QUIET BEDROOM AMPS. All they do is let you get cranked up tone at basically no less than stage volume. i.e. it will still be loud enough to piss of your neighbors

Well... I guess it depends on what attenuator / amp you have. I had a hot plate I was using with a triple rectifier, and I could turn that thing down so quiet that my wife couldn't even tell I was playing in the basement. It didn't have quite the same sound, but it definitely got quiet enough to jam at bedroomish levels.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by stratman_13
For the record:

ATTENUATORS DO NOT TURN LOUD AMPS INTO QUIET BEDROOM AMPS. All they do is let you get cranked up tone at basically no less than stage volume. i.e. it will still be loud enough to piss of your neighbors.

I meant for headphones.

The HD 201s I can recommend for $25, lol. You're not really going to find a better headphone for that money and you can do a worse for $100.

Don't get the wireless ones though, bad bang for your buck.

Sennheiser is by far your best bet for a cheaper heaphones my $40 set beat boses $100 dollar set

Bose is hugely overpriced.
Even with home theatre, just get some B&W speakers and a Denon reciever, or NAD amps.
Not a brand I like XD
Quote by jpatan
Well... I guess it depends on what attenuator / amp you have. I had a hot plate I was using with a triple rectifier, and I could turn that thing down so quiet that my wife couldn't even tell I was playing in the basement. It didn't have quite the same sound, but it definitely got quiet enough to jam at bedroomish levels.

I mean for the purpose that attenuators are supposed to serve, they won't work for bedroom levels. The whole point is to get cranked amp tone at lower volumes.

I apologize for flying off the handle a bit; I have a huge test today and I'm procrastinating
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Bose is hugely overpriced.
Even with home theatre, just get some B&W speakers and a Denon reciever, or NAD amps.
Not a brand I like XD

exactly bose right now is like moster beats decent but way to over priced
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
My tires were slashed a couple of weeks ago because I was playing guitar after dark. The neighbors didn't like it. But I did it again a few days later anyway. Do what I did.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
beats for guitar playin is a terrible idea... to bassy and won't represent the true value of the tone... and their way overpriced

go for sennheiser's or similiar phones that are 'flat' in terms of eq, so you hear tone, that isnt being altered by the phones
Im rocking it out with a Crate FW15r and i plau qll genes of music, alot of System of a Down if you get particular
Quote by behind_you

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by mcraddict81592

Because acoustic sucks.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Page 1 of 2