I saw yesterday that Coldplay had been announced as the band that would open the London 2012 olympics opening ceremony, and was quite honestly shocked.

Don't get me wrong I do like Coldplay infact I own all of their albums and where the first band I saw live, but lets face it they have their haters don't they? But thats not why I'm shocked, I'm shocked because of this;

Throughout the 1960's,70's,80's Rock music was at its peak and lets face it undoubtedly the British bands ruled that as much as American artists control todays music industry (Eminem, Rihanna, Lady Gaga). Throughout those three decades we produced arguably some of the greatest bands ever to walk the face of the earth, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who and the Rolling Stones to name but a few.

So why aren't they headlining this event? Imagine Ringo starr on Drums, Paul McCartney on Bass, Eric Clapton (George Harrisons close friend) on guitar and Julian Lennon filling the gap of his Dad. What a lineup that would be. Dire Straits reunion, The rest of Queen to re-form, The Police to reunite (Although they did a few years ago for a tour)

Compare these to Coldplay no disrespect but its like comparing your Mums dinners to your Aunt Annes, one tastes brilliant and you long for it, the others tastes like dog sh*t. Surely we could put on a band with world recognition to people of all ages, I mean If your going to aim it at that age they've gone for with Coldplay put on someone with som energy , eg The Muse.
The thing is, as great as those bands are, they obviously don't play the sort of music that the organisers would like as the 'soundtrack' to the opening ceremony. Coldplay write stuff thats much more atmospheric, and suitable for the event. Also, seeing as multi award-winning director Danny Boyle is the creative director for the ceremony, I'd trust his judgement!

Also, I think you'll find that a lot (but not all) of the 'hate' Coldplay get is either from people who don't like their sort of music anyway, or people jumping on the NME bandwagon (who loved them in their early days - NME aren't to be trusted!).

Personally, I think if you look at opening ceremonies of the past, and the general feel of them, Coldplay are perfect for this.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
The thing is, as great as those bands are, they obviously don't play the sort of music that the organisers would like as the 'soundtrack' to the opening ceremony. Coldplay write stuff thats much more atmospheric, and suitable for the event. Also, seeing as multi award-winning director Danny Boyle is the creative director for the ceremony, I'd trust his judgement!

Also, I think you'll find that a lot (but not all) of the 'hate' Coldplay get is either from people who don't like their sort of music anyway, or people jumping on the NME bandwagon (who loved them in their early days - NME aren't to be trusted!).

Personally, I think if you look at opening ceremonies of the past, and the general feel of them, Coldplay are perfect for this.

I understand your point but your honestly telling me you'd prefer Coldplay up there in place of the bands aforementioned
Personally, I prefer listening to Coldplay than those other bands (not saying I don't like them), it's just a matter of personal taste. Also, as I said, I think Coldplay's music is much more appropriate for the context. When providing the backing for visual art like the opening ceremony, it's not about being loud, rocky and 'in-yer-face', it's about subtlety.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by CharlieeeBeee

So why aren't they headlining this event? Imagine Ringo starr on Drums, Paul McCartney on Bass, Eric Clapton (George Harrisons close friend) on guitar and Julian Lennon filling the gap of his Dad. What a lineup that would be. Dire Straits reunion, The rest of Queen to re-form, The Police to reunite (Although they did a few years ago for a tour)

It's the Olympics though, not a rock show. I really doubt any of those bands would even consider reuniting for a sports event where their fans have little chance of seeing the show. Beyond that, the people in charge of the Olympics wouldn't want the music to overshadow the actual event.

Coldplay will fit the emotional vibe of the ceremony really well. And for what it's worth, I saw Coldplay a few years ago and they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen.
Hey, I'm Mike.
^Someone give this guy a gold star...

...but this could go into the Off Topic Discussion

I'm surprised that anyone could possibly think that the 2012 olympics will be anything other than the worst (as far as ceremony is concerned) for this century to come. It will definitely have nothing on what the Chinese managed, and London has Boris Johnson to contend with (though that is their own fault).

[/rant]
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
Quote by JammerZice
Coldplay isn't even Classic Rock?

Read the first post though.

Coldplay was a modern choice. Don't want Britain still going on about The Beatles
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.