So I have to do a power-point for my Women's Studies class (long story) and for my topic I'm doing Women in Punk Rock. So basically I need five or six important women from our scene to talk about for a couple minutes each. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use both Bikini Kill and X-Ray Spex, but I bet you guys have some better ideas than I do.

Edit:Also, if you guys have any ideas for songs to play with these specific bands that illustrate "women's values" or what have you I'm totally interested in hearing them.
Last edited by I_Pwn at Apr 13, 2011,
I believe Patti Smith [sic] and Blondie are pretty big...unless I am missing your point
Yea that's definitely the idea. There's not really any guide-lines for my presentation besides the fact that it has to be 10+ minutes.
This isnt really punk rock, but how about Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson. Iconic figures in the development of rock music in my opinion.
I don't know either of those artists, but I shall look them up.

Also, if anyone has any songs from male bands discussing womens equality and all that awesome fun stuff that would also be appreciated.
Brody Dalle from the Distillers
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
Quote by musicismylifee
This isnt really punk rock, but how about Heart's Ann and Nancy Wilson. Iconic figures in the development of rock music in my opinion.
That's not punk at all.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
CRAAAAZY ON YOUUUU

I have nothing to contribute to this.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Mention Lauren Denitzio's essay on sexism in punk. She is starting to look like some feminist spokesperson for punk.
Patti Smith
Kathleen Hanna
Tobi Vail
Kathi Wilcox
Joan Jett
Poly Styrene
Exene Cervenka
Lydia Lunch
Siouxsie Sioux
Kim Gordon
Kim Deal
Courtney Love
Avril Lavigne (trololol)

Some bands:
The Slits
Bikini Kill
7 Year Bitch
Sleater-Kinney
L7
Babes in Toyland
The Runaways
Last edited by IommiPage at Apr 15, 2011,
you have to mention Joann Jett and also the runaways. for music playing I would recommen rockaway beach not the original but the Sahara Hotnights cover. also mention them
Quote by I_Pwn
Also, if anyone has any songs from male bands discussing womens equality and all that awesome fun stuff that would also be appreciated.

As far as that goes, I have a couple that come to mind:

This gem from one of the most underrated punk bands of the 80's:

http://www.neurotics.org.uk/ (In the music player, listen to "No Respect." Alternatively, here's a live video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apFMCbhSSqc

And the other one. I couldn't find a recorded version for this one but you can make out the lyrics anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXhbB_f7lU&feature=related

I'm sure there's tons more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but be sure to talk about Crass. Penis Envy is pretty much the quintessential feminist punk album.

for some "Classic" bands:

DIRT, Poision Girls, Honey Bane, Lost Cherrees, Nausea, F-Minus, X, The B-Girls (Late 70's - moved from Toronto to NY, ended up in the CBGB scene) Kleenex/LiLiPUT...
If I´m right you need to talk about women and not the bands women are in, which is important, because you won´t find a lot about the single members of Dirt or the Poison Girls......

Whatever the bass player of The Partisans is female, Eve Libertine from Crass, Pauline Beck from Conflict.

But as I see it you have to stick to the more famous women like Poly Styrene, Patti Smith or Excene Cervenka