Page 1 of 4
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/ontario-court-strikes-down-canadas-pot-laws/article1983105/

So Ontario courts removed all laws regarding marijuana stating it's unconstitutional. Essentially the Federal Government has 90 days to improve its laws or it will become legal to grow and possess marijuana in Ontario for any and all. Thoughts?

Personally, I think it's about time. It's no secret that marijuana has numerous benefits both medical and otherwise. It's also nice to see that our courts have the balls to do what our politicians won't. This will have a major impact on Canada as historically, Ontario is always the first province to legislate progressive policies (notably: gay marriage, medical marijuana laws, and currently prostitution is in the works) and then the rest of the provinces quickly catch up. Exciting times.
Last edited by i_am_teh_walrus at Apr 13, 2011,
All I can say is...

Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Fuck yes!
One likes to believe in the freedom of music

But glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity
Hopefully the US follows, well at least Michigan
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
Immediately after the election the Parliament will pass new laws ensuring that it doesn't become legal. The US will put massive pressure on them, as will the UN given that they've signed treaties making this stuff illegal; that's why countries like Portugal and The Netherlands decriminalised rather than legalised.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
In the meantime.... Visit The Netherlands!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by Altitudinous
Prostitution? There's no ****ing beneifits for that.

seewhatididthere?

But seriously, thats messed up. No prostitution, Ontario. You guys are nice guys. Don't pay to get your dicks wet.

I think it has more to do with protecting prostitutes then it does getting our dicks wet.
I don't agree with Ontario's "progressive policies."

It should remain illegal.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
wowowowowowow whaaaaaat lol why did I not hear about this??

Maybe I should watch abit more canadian news? damn cnn.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Immediately after the election the Parliament will pass new laws ensuring that it doesn't become legal. The US will put massive pressure on them, as will the UN given that they've signed treaties making this stuff illegal; that's why countries like Portugal and The Netherlands decriminalised rather than legalised.

Not necessarily. The only options the Federal government has is to change the laws making medical marijuana more accessible (which I can't see Harper's government doing), or to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada (which they will undoubtedly do). However failing that, parliament can pass whatever laws they want, if they're deemed unconstitutional by the provincial courts they won't take effect in that province. The Federal government relies on the provinces to enforce their laws as there is no federal police.
Quote by Strat007
I don't agree with Ontario's "progressive policies."

It should remain illegal.

No, you're wrong.

Actually, you can't be wrong, because it's your opinion, and everyone is entitled their opinion.

You're still wrong.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I can't imagine the UN even considering wasting it's time on what one province in one of there bigger supporters handles one plant. Also let the US pressure us, it's like 80% of both of our economies are dependent on trading with each other, they'll never seriously risk crippling there economy over this.
One likes to believe in the freedom of music

But glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity
You know, I'm not into this whole weed smoking, hippie peace love crap, but I don't mind people doing it. Just know, yes it can fry you pretty good and yes, bad things can come out of it. Just don't be smoking it everywhere I go and all up in my face.

We have apparatuses that test for marijuana consumption (those tongue-licky things I've heard of), and if this gets legalized you can guarantee there will be like 3 times the amount of road blocks you're used to and you can guarantee a shitload of people are going to get arrested for DUI without remorse and I can guarantee the chemical limit will be zero. Not that 0.08 (0.00 for 21 and under, or is it under 21...). Eventually the alcohol limit will get to 0.00, so good luck getting any number above zero for a limit on marijuana content.

That's what people don't realize; sure, legalize it! It's just gonna become like booze, eventually they'll find a way to tax it or jump the prices, (ANYONE who lives in Ontario knows we are the #1 province for RETARDED booze prices and Darwin award winning tax jumps) and yes, it's ''just weed'', which can land you ''just in jail'' for ''just a DUI'' or ''just a public consumption of (...)''. You get where I'm going. Not only that, but good luck getting a job if they know your habits, the law may have changed, but some peoples' opinions may not (INCLUDING YOUR POSSIBLE EMPLOYER). If they know of your habits somehow, all they have to do is shut their mouths and write a bullshit reason not to hire you, it's common practice, it happens all the time and it's probably happened to you. Same thing with booze; if my future boss actually does a legit background check on me and does some snooping and finds that I like to get drunk every Tuesday and play poker. Well booze is legal, but unfortunately for me my boss doesn't like that it shows ''immaturity'' and ''lack of responsibility'' in his eyes. A few weeks later, I call him for an update and he says ''ya sorry we found someone else..... Had more experience, better skill set (blahblahblah)''. The same would apply with marijuana consumption, except I think the judgment would be much worse in that case. So don't get too hyped up kiddos, because with every good thing that happens, there's always about ten friggin' bad things that come with it. That's life for ya.
Quote by i_am_teh_walrus
Not necessarily. The only options the Federal government has is to change the laws making medical marijuana more accessible (which I can't see Harper's government doing), or to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada (which they will undoubtedly do). However failing that, parliament can pass whatever laws they want, if they're deemed unconstitutional by the provincial courts they won't take effect in that province. The Federal government relies on the provinces to enforce their laws as there is no federal police.

I can't see why they would baulk at the prospect of making Medical MJ more accessible but allow Cannabis to become legally available instead.

Quote by CDNRoycer
I can't imagine the UN even considering wasting it's time on what one province in one of there bigger supporters handles one plant. Also let the US pressure us, it's like 80% of both of our economies are dependent on trading with each other, they'll never seriously risk crippling there economy over this.

The problem is that Canada signed the treaty, the UN would have to take issue with it unless Canada pulls out of the treaty under article 30 (in which case the UN might ignore it).
Also, don't underestimate the power of the US anti-drugs lobby, there is a massive amount of money and power for them at stake here and a massive amount of people mobilised by that great motivator: fear. They would not have to risk crippling their economy, diplomatic pressure is always much more subtle than that, this stuff is usually "you scratch my back..." stuff, more carrot than stick.

Quote by Drakathan

Actually, you can't be wrong, because it's your opinion, and everyone is entitled their opinion.

Erm, opinions can be wrong.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I believe I read somewhere not too long ago that EU countries are allowed to consider full legalisation now, not sure on the details of this (and for the decriminalised countires, this might not be high on their priorities as they're already seeing benefits from this direction and may be looking to improve other areas) but I'll try to find some!

I hope this leads to full legalisation!

(Also the legalisation of prostitution is a good thing in my eyes, works in NZ anyway )
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by The_Casinator
We legalised Marijuana before it was popular.

As soon as I saw you had posted in here I knew you would be gloating >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by metalblaster
Just know, yes it can fry you pretty good

http://www.drugtext.org/Cannabis-marijuana-hashisch/cannabis-use-and-cognitive-decline-in-persons-under-65-years-of-age.html
There were no significant differences in cognitive decline between heavy users, light users, and nonusers of cannabis.

Just don't be smoking it everywhere I go and all up in my face.

I'd assume that a place with legalized weed would have laws against that sort of thing.

That's what people don't realize; sure, legalize it! It's just gonna become like booze, eventually they'll find a way to tax it or jump the prices, (ANYONE who lives in Ontario knows we are the #1 province for RETARDED booze prices and Darwin award winning tax jumps)

Weed prices are already artificially high because of the black market. Legalization would decrease the price dramatically even with the taxes added on.
Quote by metalblaster
You know, I'm not into this whole weed smoking, hippie peace love crap...

I don't smoke pot either, but I do happen to be into the hippie peace and love awesomeness. Anyways great analysis of what the government will do with legalized weed, but I still think the pros far outweigh the cons of legal weed.
"Wait, he smokes marijuana?!?! I thought he only does weed!"

-Ignorant Friend #1

"How many shots are there in a 26er?"

-Ignorant Friend #2

"No I don't want a two-four, I only like beeer!"

-Ignorant Friend #1
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Erm, opinions can be wrong.

They can't.

If you're convinced that they can, share your wisdom.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Nice, nice.

HEY UK GOVERNMENT

GET WITH THE ****ING PROGRAM

SERIOUSLY

I'm happy for Ontario but mother**** our drug situation, man.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Drakathan
They can't.

"In my opinion 87 is a larger number than 50."

You are confusing the fact that opinions about subjective things like taste in music and literature indeed cannot be said to be wrong, however opinions on factual things, like the existence of gravity, that the sky is blue, etc, can indeed be wrong.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Drakathan
They can't.

It's my opinion that opinions can be wrong.

PARADOX

Quote by TheBurningFish
Nice, nice.

HEY UK GOVERNMENT

GET WITH THE ****ING PROGRAM

SERIOUSLY

I'm happy for Ontario but mother**** our drug situation, man.

Just as bad here, man. Our current drug advisor thinks marijuana causes schizophrenia and brain damage. Oh and it's very addictive of course.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
ITT : People with sense celebrating & the high horse brigade complaining.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by entity0009
As soon as I saw you had posted in here I knew you would be gloating >_>

That's about the same as saying to a Baker "Lol I totally knew you were going to bake some bread today!"
Quote by Ur all $h1t
"In my opinion 87 is a larger number than 50."

You are confusing the fact that opinions about subjective things like taste in music and literature indeed cannot be said to be wrong, however opinions on factual things, like the existence of gravity, that the sky is blue, etc, can indeed be wrong.

I stand corrected.

Although I don't think that you can have an opinion on facts, in that way. 87 is a larger number than 50. Gravity affects us. Those are facts, and you can't really have an opinion whether or not they are true. At least that's how I see it.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Quote by Kensai
Just as bad here, man. Our current drug advisor thinks marijuana causes schizophrenia and brain damage. Oh and it's very addictive of course.

There may be hope for you, at least. Our government went all ICP on the issue and put all the power in the hands of one woman without any knowledge of drugs from a medical, chemical, or experiential point of view.

Quote by TheBurningFish
There may be hope for you, at least. Our government went all ICP on the issue and put all the power in the hands of one woman without any knowledge of drugs from a medical, chemical, or experiential point of view.

They went pretty ICP on scientific advise as well, "dont walk to talk to no scientist/all they do is lie and gettin' me pissed".

Oh god... what if the british goverment are ICP? I've never seen the two in the same room before.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Kensai
Oh god... what if the british goverment are ICP? I've never seen the two in the same room before.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Page 1 of 4