So your saying when you touch it it stops? hmm....I would suggest playing while jumping out of an airplane. That will fix it for sure. Thats what Skwisgaar does
Quote by fc89konkari
is the ground wire from one of the pots wired to the spring claw if your guitar has one?

what do you mean exactly?
It was a bit hard to see where the bridge ground were in that pic.
You should look for a metal wire (or cable I guess) coming out from a small hole, and that cable should be soldered on the back of one of the pots. Should be fairly easy to spot.
Anyway.. are you 100% sure it's a grounding issue with your guitar?

I had a noisy guitar before...that turned out to be my POD unit not having a grounded plug.
Soon as I connected it to my computer via usb, or directly to my amp via one of the line-outs all the noise disappeared.

So, make sure you don't have that sort of issue first.
Easiest way is playing directly through a grounded amp unless you're already doing so.

If it's still noisy after that, then it's probably a wiring issue with your guitar.
Quote by Shor
It was a bit hard to see where the bridge ground were in that pic.
You should look for a metal wire (or cable I guess) coming out from a small hole, and that cable should be soldered on the back of one of the pots. Should be fairly easy to spot.

thanks but that doesnt help me much, i dunno how its supposed to look. i dont even know what the 3 components in there are for! when i look at it all i see is wires, 2 metal pots and some wooden chip :P

to my eyes theres nothing wrong. 1 thing i did notice is the bottom pot has no wire in its 3rd hole - maybe thats normal as nothing appears to of broken off

Anyway.. are you 100% sure it's a grounding issue with your guitar?

I had a noisy guitar before...that turned out to be my POD unit not having a grounded plug.
Soon as I connected it to my computer via usb, or directly to my amp via one of the line-outs all the noise disappeared.

So, make sure you don't have that sort of issue first.
Easiest way is playing directly through a grounded amp unless you're already doing so.

If it's still noisy after that, then it's probably a wiring issue with your guitar.

well I've tried it with 2 amps and various cables so yeah pretty much certain. also someone else mentioned if i touch the metal bridge and the noise reduces its a grounding issue
Quote by PureH9

well I've tried it with 2 amps and various cables so yeah pretty much certain. also someone else mentioned if i touch the metal bridge and the noise reduces its a grounding issue

Yep I'm never saying it's not a grounding issue, it's 110% a grounding issue.
I was just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be in your guitar. You'd still get the exact same syndrome if your guitar was plugged into something that wasn't grounded.
It seems like it is in your guitar now though.

Do you know anyone that can fix it for you? Anyone that knows their way around a multimeter and a soldering iron should be able to sort this out.
If not..take it down to your local (hopefully you have one local) guitar/music store and have them look at it. It's a really easy fix if it's just a bad solder that has to be redone.
Quote by PureH9
what do you mean exactly?

If your guitar has eg. a Floyd Rose or any tremolo system (exept bigsby??) youll have a tremolo cavity on the back of your guitar just like you have a control cavity with the pots etc. It would also be covered with a plastic plate in most cases. When you open the trem cavity youll see a spring claw with 2 screws screwed into the guitars wooden body. All the of your springs (2-5) of the tremolo will be attached to this. So would a ground wire if your pickups are passives.

Now this is incase you have a tremolo system. Correct me if Im wrong but a bigsby trem system doesnt have springs?
Quote by Shor
Yep I'm never saying it's not a grounding issue, it's 110% a grounding issue.
I was just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be in your guitar. You'd still get the exact same syndrome if your guitar was plugged into something that wasn't grounded.
It seems like it is in your guitar now though.

Do you know anyone that can fix it for you? Anyone that knows their way around a multimeter and a soldering iron should be able to sort this out.
If not..take it down to your local (hopefully you have one local) guitar/music store and have them look at it. It's a really easy fix if it's just a bad solder that has to be redone.

ive just looked at my locals and i cant afford them atm... this sucks. just got my new amp yday and can barely play it. appreciate your help anyway man

can anyone tell me what i need to do to fix it so i can do it myself?

btw thanks fc89konkari for that explanation
Last edited by PureH9 at Apr 13, 2011,