Hello GG&A!

I'm in dire need of help! Here's the situation:

So, just an hour ago I picked up a parcel from the post office, containing an ENGL E530 preamp. I get home, first test it with headphones. Works fine. I plug it into a power amp with a mono cable running from the ENGL's 'Instrument Output / FX loop send' labeled jack to my Bugera 6262's FX return jack. Works fine, and sounds great!

I'm hyped, and start connecting my other effects - a Boss Me-20 - to the signal. I'm not quite sure on which way around it should be done, so I'm experimenting different combinations between the preamp's FX Send, fx return, the Bugera's FX loop jacks and the Me's input and output jacks - I've always found my way around in the end.

However, this time around, I can't get it right. I start thinking logically, and try out the outcome I come to. Won't work. I check the ENGL site for the unit's manual, and it suggest as I did - Preamp signal to ME = ENGL's instrument output to ME's Input and then ME's output to Bugera's FX Return - but still, doesn't work.

I'm getting a bit frustrated, so I disconnect the whole ME and just plug the preamp to the Bugera's power amp the way it was before. But, this time, even that doesn't work! I try it with the headphones - doesn't work! No sound comes out. I checked all the cables, and they all work. If I push the preamp's volume to the max with maximum gain on the lead channel, I can hear a very, very quiet signal, both through the amp's speakers and through headphones.

What could be the matter? I'd hate to think the unit is broken, but I can think of nothing else.

All I notice is that it looks to me that one of the 2 tubes that are visible through the chassis is not burning as brightly as the other one. However, I think I noticed it already when the unit was working properly.

So PLEASE, help me out! I'm super bummed out about this and don't want to go through all the hassle with the guy who sold the amp to me - please tell there's an easy fix! Any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
First of all, the headphone/cabinet out requires a stereo cable. Failing to do so will result in a blown poweramp, making that output useless.

Second, if you want to use an external poweramp you use the line out 1 and 2, so you want to send one of those with a MONO cable to the bugera effects return. I don't know the possibilities of the ME-20, but you could use it before and after the preamp depending on the effects and the looping options.

Keep the Boss out of the picture for now. run a mono cable from line out 1 into the bugera effects loop return, try that. Make sure all the volumes are at a reasonable level.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by Mark G
First of all, the headphone/cabinet out requires a stereo cable. Failing to do so will result in a blown poweramp, making that output useless.

Second, if you want to use an external poweramp you use the line out 1 and 2, so you want to send one of those with a MONO cable to the bugera effects return. I don't know the possibilities of the ME-20, but you could use it before and after the preamp depending on the effects and the looping options.

Ok THX,

And NO, I did not use mono for the headphone out. I used a regular stereo 1/4" plug with a pair of stereo headphones.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Quote by Mark G

Keep the Boss out of the picture for now. run a mono cable from line out 1 into the bugera effects loop return, try that. Make sure all the volumes are at a reasonable level.

Tried it, no difference. Still only a very faint sound when sound is at max level.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
I even tried changing the preamp tube that seemed dim. The replacement looked just fine, and I think that the volume increased just a tiny little bit - still, not working as it's supposed to.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,
Are you sure you didn't hit the preamp defeat button?
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904

WTLTL 2011
Quote by justinb904

I did not.
Gear:

Ashton AG200,