At the moment i'm playing an Aria PE Special its an korean made cheap ass guitar, and at the moment it is slowly falling apart. So since i'm going to take guitar playing very serious i'm planning to buy a real guitar. The guy in the shop showed me an Fender American Standard and the Fender American Special, i finally had my mind set on the standard strat until someone at school told me this:

Guitars like that are build for high gain work, not so much for soft in the living room kinda playing. They will sound amazing in your living room, but there's a dozen other (cheaper) guitars that will too, it will truly shine on stage.

Is this true? It doesnt make that much sense to me, but well... i'm a noob.

If it is true, what cheaper guitar can you reccommend? I like playing blues, soft rock, pop kinda stuff. At the moment i dont have a proper amp, so if i can cut back on the costs of an american special i could also buy a decent amp. (got an orange crush at the moment, simple little practice amp)

Last but not least,, i hope i didnt mess up my grammar since i'm not native English.

thanx
Good tone is good tone no matter where/when you are playing. A stratocaster will suit your playing styles well. If you want it and feel it is worth the money get it. If you don't want to spend the money you could get something more reasonably priced that will suit your needs as well.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Good tone is good tone no matter where/when you are playing. A stratocaster will suit your playing styles well. If you want it and feel it is worth the money get it. If you don't want to spend the money you could get something more reasonably priced that will suit your needs as well.

Could u recommend me a guitar? I really have no idea what suites my playing style, and shops up here tend to recommend the most expensive
Sorry, but your friends seem to talk a lot of bullshit. A Fender American Standard Strat is amazing, whether you play in your living room or in a big arena. The SSS-version is not suited for higher gain; the single-coil pickups will make unbearable amounts of noise with higher volume - that's why there is humbuckers, aside from the fact that they sound fuller and fatter (which wasn't the original intention as far as I know - they were invented to eliminate the hum the single-coils were known for).

Just take into consideration that the Am. Standard comes with a case, the Am. Special with just a gig-bag. The Specials seem to be fine guitars, I haven't tried one however. Get the one you like the most; both are great value.

(I don't have English as my first language either, I'm swedish...)
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
good tone will be good from a guitar regardless of whether you are playing in your room or playing a show. of course with tube amps volume helps to saturate the tubes and what not and will give you a better tone than playing one below 1 volume. However, there are many tube amps made, as well as some modelers that allow you to have great tone at a bedroom volume. if you like the fender standard strat, go for it!
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
your friend is not your well wisher!! those guitars are made for producing amazing tone as well as the playability .

have you seen ? kirk hammett playing guitar in his restroom ?
Attachments:
images.jpg
His message is basically "You're not playing on a stage yet so you don't deserve good tone." Bit fallacious, eh?
They are suited towards higher-quality rigs but will sound good through lots of setups. Higher quality =/= good for higher gain though... I think your friend needs to go back and factcheck a bit.

Quote by COBHC912
your friend is not your well wisher!! those guitars are made for producing amazing tone as well as the playability .

have you seen ? kirk hammett playing guitar in his restroom ?

I really could've died happy not seeing that.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by HomerSGR
Sorry, but your friends seem to talk a lot of bullshit. A Fender American Standard Strat is amazing, whether you play in your living room or in a big arena. The SSS-version is not suited for higher gain; the single-coil pickups will make unbearable amounts of noise with higher volume - that's why there is humbuckers, aside from the fact that they sound fuller and fatter (which wasn't the original intention as far as I know - they were invented to eliminate the hum the single-coils were known for).

Just take into consideration that the Am. Standard comes with a case, the Am. Special with just a gig-bag. The Specials seem to be fine guitars, I haven't tried one however. Get the one you like the most; both are great value.

(I don't have English as my first language either, I'm swedish...)

SSS strats can indeed do high gain without making unbearable noise. there are other ways to eliminate the 60 cycle hum. this is a falsehood that seems to be common knowledge by those who don't use single coils or use cheap ones.

as already mentioned your friend doesn't know jack about guitars. the only part of the statement that might hold some water would depend on your amp. if you have a crap amp then sure cheaper guitars will sound as good but that's about it. this is the the fault of the amps limitations and not of the guitar itself.
Quote by Pink Muse
His message is basically "You're not playing on a stage yet so you don't deserve good tone." Bit fallacious, eh?
They are suited towards higher-quality rigs but will sound good through lots of setups. Higher quality =/= good for higher gain though... I think your friend needs to go back and factcheck a bit.

I really could've died happy not seeing that.

sorry brother !! its not for anyone to view ! its only for his friend
Quote by absolutestarter
At the moment i'm playing an Aria PE Special its an korean made cheap ass guitar, and at the moment it is slowly falling apart. So since i'm going to take guitar playing very serious i'm planning to buy a real guitar. The guy in the shop showed me an Fender American Standard and the Fender American Special, i finally had my mind set on the standard strat until someone at school told me this:

Guitars like that are build for high gain work, not so much for soft in the living room kinda playing. They will sound amazing in your living room, but there's a dozen other (cheaper) guitars that will too, it will truly shine on stage.

Is this true? It doesnt make that much sense to me, but well... i'm a noob.

If it is true, what cheaper guitar can you reccommend? I like playing blues, soft rock, pop kinda stuff. At the moment i dont have a proper amp, so if i can cut back on the costs of an american special i could also buy a decent amp. (got an orange crush at the moment, simple little practice amp)

Last but not least,, i hope i didnt mess up my grammar since i'm not native English.

thanx

your friends statement is like a bunch of random words stuck together its that bullshit. A SSS american strat isnt even the optimal guitar for "high gain" (since i consder high gain to be like metal and you need a humbucker)

Its just a wut in general. Some people even prefer cheaper guitars on stage since they can take a beating instead of there more expensive guitars losing value. I think thats pretty stupid too mainly because im a clumsy bastard and they will take most of the beating in my house... just use whatever you want ha
The Fender American Special is a good deal. Even the Squier Classic Vibes guitars are good deals too, you can get them to a pro level with a few mods.
lolll seems like i'm just gonna save some more money for the american standard. I like the fact it comes with an case instead of a gigbag. And in the meantime i'm gonna make sure i can actually play reminds me of the fact i gotta go practice again lol
Quote by absolutestarter
lolll seems like i'm just gonna save some more money for the american standard. I like the fact it comes with an case instead of a gigbag. And in the meantime i'm gonna make sure i can actually play reminds me of the fact i gotta go practice again lol

Can't go wrong with that