Thanks for taking a look at my thread. I am ready to buy a floyd equiped guitar.
This guitar will stay 2.25 steps down (pantera ect. tuning) I've really been into dimebag stuff, so it must be able to dive consistently, especially since this will be my first floyd equiped guitar. I have a schecter hellraiser and love the sound of mohagany+emg's, but I am definately not set on that combo. I play strictly metal.
I like the feel of 11's, but I'm not shure if its possible with floyds?? I'm pretty open to necks, nothing thicker than my schecter though lol. All input welcome , I really am very noob to floyds, so I need some help with stuff I havent thought about.
I have around 1200 bucks dedicated to this guitar, let me know what ya think and why. Thanks again for reading, you guys always know your stuff.
I've put 13-56s on my ESP with floyd. It could handle it, but you need more springs in the back.
I am not a fan of floyd's they are fun, but they are a pain to change strings, tunings, etc. But since that is the world that you are after then I suggest maybe even the dime dean model, they are good guitars and would go after what your trying to do and in your price range. I love esp guitars so i would suggest the h-1001 with a floyd bridge, and it has active pickups and would be cheaper than the dean.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
wouldn't tuning 2.25 steps lower put you in 7 string territory?

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
if 7 string is your avenue then look at some of the agile guitars found at rondomusic.com, they are great guitars for the money.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by New_Crisis
wouldn't tuning 2.25 steps lower put you in 7 string territory?

Wouldn't it be just under Standard C?
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Quote by TuningGamer
Wouldn't it be just under Standard C?

Oh, like Standard B ?
lol.

I only asked, because if he's going to tune that low, why not just get a 7 string with a Floyd?

EDIT: 2.25....what the hell would that be? halfway between standard C and B? so basically a slightly out of tune C standard?

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
Last edited by New_Crisis at Apr 13, 2011,
I would consider a 7 string, I've picked up several and played, but I just don't think a 7 string is for me. My main concerns are
1. Must do metal
2. Floyd stays in tune forever
3. Can accept thicker guage strings(with proper nut adjustment)
I think if you're going to tune that low, you'd have a much easier time keeping the guitar in tune with a string through or stoptail guitar, with locking tuners. something with a tonepros bridge and sperzels.
Otherwise, you're going to have serious string tension issues, and probably fall out of tune a lot. You'll need more springs to balance out the tension of thicker strings, as well as a serious set up.

What tuning exactly are you going for? (low to high)

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
Why would he need more springs in the back to downtune a guitar? If he lowers the string tension, the floating bridge would be pulled down, and you would need less spring tension, right?
well if he cared about having good string tension and action, he'd ideally use heavier gauge strings. which would counter the spring tension.

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
You can pick any guitar really, if you want to tune that low it's just a matter of adjusting the spring tension (and maybe your truss rod). For the tuning stability, just go with an Original FR, not any of the licensed ones (though I heard that the Schaller licensed ones are great). If you want to use really really thick strings (something like a low 60 or more) you might need to file the nut, but 13-56s should fit just fine. And 13-56s tuned to C or B standard should have about the same amount of tension as 10s in standard tuning.

And for the model, I'd try the Schecter Blackjack ATX. Great guitar, fits in your budget and it's perfect for metal. I love mine!
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Quote by farmosh203
Why would he need more springs in the back to downtune a guitar? If he lowers the string tension, the floating bridge would be pulled down, and you would need less spring tension, right?

The spring tension is used to keep the bridge at level. Placing thicker springs means adding 1 or 2 more springs because there is a limit of how much tension the springs could hold.
Quote by Kortez3000
The spring tension is used to keep the bridge at level. Placing thicker springs means adding 1 or 2 more springs because there is a limit of how much tension the springs could hold.

He is placing thicker strings, but keep in mind that he is tuning pretty low, so the tension won't be that high. I don't think the gauge/tuning combination he will be using will require more that one extra spring.
Jbab
Quote by '93

Quote by jbab
He is placing thicker strings, but keep in mind that he is tuning pretty low, so the tension won't be that high. I don't think the gauge/tuning combination he will be using will require more that one extra spring.

I'm telling you this from experience dude.
Well you can get whatever guitar you want. I suggest a maple neck through with mahogony wings and active EMGs. Thats what i have and it has one heavy ass tone!

You will need more springs on the floyd. Even though you are lowering the tuning your going to want to get thicker strings so the low end isn't flopping around on you. Its going to increase the tention. Now if you want it to stay in tune you need a great set up on it. Take it to a professional if your not familliar with the floyd. I have a B.C. Rich V Jr. with 11-65 on it and the thing stays in tune forever! I haven't had to touch it for 3 months. Also i had to put 5 springs on it to get the tension right.
Quote by Kortez3000
I'm telling you this from experience dude.

Well I've never tuned that low with an FR, but I have one of my guitars set to Drop-C with 12s and it only needs 3 springs
Jbab
Quote by '93

The spring issue is something I didn't think of, I just assumed with the thicker gauge, and the lower tuning, it would even out, but I have 0 experience with a floyd. I don't believe its enough of an issue to deter me from a floyd though.
I tried out a slime bolt razorback($1099.00 @g.c. hated the back of the neck,and its 22 frets, also felt 24 3/4 scale not shure.)This one is out.

I also tried a Jackson SL3mg Soloist ($1299.00 @ g.c.) Loved the feel, EMG 81-85, Floyd Rose FTR-O2000 double locking 2-point tremolo. This one is a possibility unless someone tells me to stay away.

They also had a used Ibanez JS1000 (1399.00 @ g.c.) Also loved the feel, not shure if its metal, basewood body, pups didn't seem very hot to me. Edge Pro bridge. Idk...still looking for something else in ibanez to try.

I have tried a blackjack, I almost bought one over my hellraiser, but then went with the hellraiser.

More ideas?
Last edited by cooper1965 at Apr 17, 2011,
i thought pantera was 1 step and a quarter....not 2. its D standard and a quarter. 2 steps would be like Bflat or something dude. 2 steps down is 7 string territory
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Oh my god...

ITT: Lot's of wrong information.

HERE WE GO.

Pantera used D standard, THEN, quarter of a step down. so 1.25 steps down.

2.25 would be C standard and quarter step down

Bb would be 3 full steps down.

You can EASILY set up a floyd for that tuning (D standards and quarter step) it's not all that low, don't know why someone would say "makes sense to just have a stop-tail bridge"

2 steps down is NOT 7 string territory, 2 steps down is only C standard. Plenty of people use 6 strings for B standard or lower.

2.5 steps which is B standard, is "7 string territory."

I'd suggest 10-46-49 for that Pantera tuning, BUT, if you like thicker strings, By all means, you can use any kind of string you want on a floyd basically, just make sure your springs are good and can handle it.
I'd say for your tuning, only those 3 springs would be fine.

There, that should clean some of that shit up.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Apr 17, 2011,
have you considered the synester gates custom schecter? the invaders are pretty damn hot for a passive pickup. ive got a c-1 hellraiser with the emg's and the tone comes pretty close and its real hard for me to find anything i like without emg's. worst comes to worse u can just take those out and put in either the emg's or a pair of blackouts
Quote by Tango616
Oh my god...

ITT: Lot's of wrong information.

HERE WE GO.

Pantera used D standard, THEN, quarter of a step down. so 1.25 steps down.

2.25 would be C standard and quarter step down

Bb would be 3 full steps down.

You can EASILY set up a floyd for that tuning (D standards and quarter step) it's not all that low, don't know why someone would say "makes sense to just have a stop-tail bridge"

2 steps down is NOT 7 string territory, 2 steps down is only C standard. Plenty of people use 6 strings for B standard or lower.

2.5 steps which is B standard, is "7 string territory."

I'd suggest 10-46-49 for that Pantera tuning, BUT, if you like thicker strings, By all means, you can use any kind of string you want on a floyd basically, just make sure your springs are good and can handle it.
I'd say for your tuning, only those 3 springs would be fine.

There, that should clean some of that shit up.

^^^^
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Correct me if I'm wrong but 2.5 steps down is C flat standard and B flat Standard is 3.5 steps down?
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by nitestick
Correct me if I'm wrong but 2.5 steps down is C flat standard and B flat Standard is 3.5 steps down?

There is no Cb, unless you do that quarter of a step thing, which is really half for C, it just goes.

2 full steps is C Standard

2.5 is B

3 is Bb
ಠ_ಠ

Thanks for clearing that all up tango616. So a thicker guage string will physically fit on a floyd, great.
Quote by andrerist
have you considered the synester gates custom schecter? the invaders are pretty damn hot for a passive pickup. ive got a c-1 hellraiser with the emg's and the tone comes pretty close and its real hard for me to find anything i like without emg's. worst comes to worse u can just take those out and put in either the emg's or a pair of blackouts

I have not tried one, but I do like the idea of a passive pickup since I already got the emg set on another guitar. What are some superstrat guitars with passive pups for metal? Thanks again everyone. So many guitars, its easy to get a bit lost....
No problem,
ಠ_ಠ