Page 1 of 3
I realize how retarded it must be to be asking this question here of all places, but I'm interested to know. What do you guys think is the ideal age to get married? It doesn't even have to be a specific age, it could be just a matter of marrying early or marrying late or marrying at all.

Pros and cons from a couple of articles/blogs

My folks married when they were twenty, still happily married after 25 years. I think it's because they got to grow up together and figure out how best to work with each other. But I don't think I can do that. It's not because I'm hanging on to the life of the party (christ, I wish) but because I really think it takes a long while a lot of time and experience for a lot of men to mature enough to be reliable and trustworthy.

What do you guys think?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
I got married when I was 20, almost a year ago. My parents got married when they were like 27/24.

It's different for everybody
My God, it's full of stars!
Late twenties/early thirties and been dating at least 4-5 years.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
My parents are 51 and 45 and aren't married (olololol bastard), but I know people my age (18) who are. It's an individual thing.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Dreadnought
I got married when I was 20, almost a year ago. My parents got married when they were like 27/24.

It's different for everybody

Wow. How long did you date?
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by kikaykitko
Wow. How long did you date?

About 3 years
i agree that it is an individual thing. though late 20's early 30's sounds about right.
also, is it me or do unattractive people seem to get married quite young?
When she goes A to M, then you know you're ready.
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
26-28. Personally I need to experience a lot of things before I get married, or else I'll be married with many regrets and many "what-ifs" which will lead to problems.
Quote by beatreebor
i agree that it is an individual thing. though late 20's early 30's sounds about right.
also, is it me or do unattractive people seem to get married quite young?

my parents got married when they were still in collage, eat me.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by rushpython
my parents got married when they were still in collage, eat me.

Quote by Necronomicon
26-28. Personally I need to experience a lot of things before I get married, or else I'll be married with many regrets and many "what-ifs" which will lead to problems.

What kind of experiences and regrets though? Is it just dating/rship experience? Because you can still do stuff and experience things even if you're married. I mean, sure, you may not be the same person who married your spouse five years later but everyone changes. Does it always mean you might grow apart and that you can't grow closer?

Being married isn't that big of a financial responsibility if you don't have kids so it can't possibly stop you from going back to school or buying stuff. You pool resources but are still only spending for two people.
Quote by Jackal58
Age doesn't really matter if you have found someone you can put up with for the next fifty years.

It's a lot like going out and buying a parrot. Are you actually gonna want that shit for life or can you already tell its going to be a headache after about five years and you want to kill it.

Also, dating for 3-5 years, first, is the best advice on here so far I think. By then you know if that person is going to drive you crazy, or marriage is just a formality and you might as well just do it.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

My ideal age is 25. Wow. That's only in 5 years lol.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
I'd say 27ish, maybe older. However, each to their own, but I couldn't see myself getting married within the next 4 or 5 years
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

different for everybody... Depends on how well you gel with your girl.

Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
this is the internet, it's not like someone can track me down and tell my mother that I have a sexual attraction torwards her.

e-married to Andrea55
e-brother of dhruvrajvanshi
35 maybe or 40. You don't want some shit cheap wedding if you're going to do it, as it's just a meaningless ceremony/party anyway you may as well stay 'engaged' for a decade or so while you get established in your careers and get some money behind you, and can actually afford to spend £7000 on a dress, rent a hotel out, pay for all the snobby meals, cars, a nice honeymoon, etc.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
35 maybe or 40. You don't want some shit cheap wedding if you're going to do it, as it's just a meaningless ceremony/party anyway you may as well stay 'engaged' for a decade or so while you get established in your careers and get some money behind you, and can actually afford to spend £7000 on a dress, rent a hotel out, pay for all the snobby meals, cars, a nice honeymoon, etc.

Unless you have parents who can afford it, getting married at 35 or 40 just because you can't have a big fancy wedding is stupid.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Unless you have parents who can afford it, getting married at 35 or 40 just because you can't have a big fancy wedding is stupid.

Well actually I don't ever want to get married because it seems a bit pointless to me, but as a woman who doesn't have a rich father (the father of the woman is meant to pay) I would have to save up if I was going to have a big expensive party like that.

I just don't understand - most women only get this day once, but they rush their engagement and get some cheap shit dress for a few hundred pounds?

Save up, wait another year or so, get a designer dress and a prettier location. You'll have happier memories and photos.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Well actually I don't ever want to get married because it seems a bit pointless to me, but as a woman who doesn't have a rich father (the father of the woman is meant to pay) I would have to save up if I was going to have a big expensive party like that.

I just don't understand - most women only get this day once, but they rush their engagement and get some cheap shit dress for a few hundred pounds?

Save up, wait another year or so, get a designer dress and a prettier location. You'll have happier memories and photos.

Here both families just split the cost, but some people think more about the meaning of the event rather than how pretty their clothes were.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
My parents married in their mid-twenties. That was in '79, and they're still married.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Spartan101400
Mid to late 20s, you have to have time to finish school so you can at least compete in this global market.

You can do that while being married
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Here both families just split the cost, but some people think more about the meaning of the event rather than how pretty their clothes were.
Ya, but I kind of get Ibanez' point. She's saying that looking back on it in 40 years, you may sometimes wish that you had put it off a few months, to get a nicer dress or some better memories. It's worth the wait, and is easier to see later in your life

Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
this is the internet, it's not like someone can track me down and tell my mother that I have a sexual attraction torwards her.

e-married to Andrea55
e-brother of dhruvrajvanshi
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

Ooh a tax cut, yeah! Let's elope, I can't wait for my tax cut!

In Western culture weddings are so built up for women. I have friends who have 'wedding books' and have been designing their dress since they were children. I don't really buy into it myself, but if I were going to do it, I would not halfass it. Big blowout ceremony or no wedding at all. Why put all the thought in to not do it perfectly?

If you really want to spend your life with the person then you'll only have the ceremony once anyway. May as well wait a few years, save up, and make it really special rather than some cheap dress and a few close family down the local registry office
my folks got married at 21/20. been together for 25 years this august!

I'm 21 and don't even have a girlfriend let alone one I'd consider marrying. while I don't really plan on getting married any time soon, if the perfect girl fell into my lap right now I'd marry her after dating for 2 years. in my experience (being a part of and observing others) after two years is when you can say it's a relatively safe bet. at least two years in 20-something speak. 2 years in high school doesn't mean shit. but yeah after two years I'd think
someone would know if they were fit for each other. the time needed to date someone before marriage decreases as you age IMO. not because your oldness
makes marriage imperative, simply because it becomes easier to know what you're looking for.
#DTWD
Late twenties. Don't even think about kids until your financially stable and professionally successful.
Quote by MakinLattes
whatever time is right for you and the person you're marrying. there isn't a rush.

This.And it's down to each person,not everyone wants to "settle down".
But to me,it makes sense to get early married,i wouldn't want to be like 50-60 when my kids are the age i am now(19).

EDIT:
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Late twenties. Don't even think about kids until your financially stable and professionally successful.

Also,this.

"Battle not with monsters,
lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you
."

A billion.

But seriously, know one really knows when the right person's gonna come around. To tell yourself you won't get married until you're a certain age is rather dumb. Life decides when you make your decisions.
The way I see it, there is no ideal age to get married. My wife and I got married at 21. Shortly before us, my grandmother got married at 67. The ideal age to get married is whatever you are when you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you want to be with your partner for good. Plain and simple.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by MetalGS3SE

On that note, both of us plan to have a smaller wedding. I hate people and she wants to spend a month in Europe in exchange for a $10,000 dress. Which I appreciate very much.

Well, how much do you think a smaller wedding would cost?

Even if you buy a cheap dress, you still have to buy outfits for anyone you "include" in the wedding (bridesmaids, best men, etc), pay for ring(s), hire a venue, hire a minister of some kind, hire another venue for the reception, pay for music, food and entertainment for however many people you invite to the wedding, pay to transport people from the ceremony to the reception, hire a photographer, caterers, and pay for a honeymoon.

Even if you did the budget version of all of those I can't see it coming in much under £7,000. That shit needs saving up for.
In my mind, 20+ because I think that in my community, marrying younger just isn't a good idea.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Page 1 of 3