Hey guys, I recently found a used Traditional 2x12 Avatar for $250. Its got two 8 OHM Peavey Sheffield Speakers in them. I haven't heard great things about the speakers, so Im hesitant to buy it. I can't try it out cause I would buy it online. What do you guys think? Should I be patient and wait, or would this be a good deal?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Apr 13, 2011,
Keep looking. I just bought a 4x12 cab loaded with Sheffields for $120. They're "okay", at best, but they are definitely not worth that much.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That's way too much for that, besides the fact that Sheffields are very meh in the first place. I got a used Peavey 2x12 with Sheffields for $100 to use for shows where I couldn't take my 4x12 and while it served it's purpose well enough and is built like a tank, I never touch it at home.
Maybe I can ask to buy the cab without the speakers. What do you think an unloaded 2x12 Avatar Traditional would go for? And in buying an unloaded cab would it be completely empty, or would it have any wires or anything?

Thanks for the replies guys.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Tell him you want the cab and not the speakers. Tell him you can get a brand new Avatar 2x12 for $250.
If the cab is in great shape, I'd offer $175.
$175 for an unloaded cab seems a bit pricey to me. I mean I would probably put another $200 into it for speakers alone.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I didn't say unloaded. I meant just convey so the seller that the speakers are moot and you're not interested in them - to bring the price down.

Ebay/Craigslist the Sheffield's and buy some decent speakers.

Slap yourself if you spend $200 new ones though.
Why would anybody actually want to put Sheffields in a cab?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I hope Im not telling you guys that I plan to put them in. Thats not what I was trying to say if thats how it came across. The one Im looking to buy has them in them. And I would spend $200 on different speakers. Why is that bad...
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
I hope Im not telling you guys that I plan to put them in. Thats not what I was trying to say if thats how it came across. The one Im looking to buy has them in them. And I would spend $200 on different speakers. Why is that bad...

Yea, $200 is a little steep. I shouldn't have come off like i did because I don't know your taste in speakers. Sorry.

Go to http://wgs4.com/catalog/british-invasion.
The Vet 30's and Retro 30's are great and you can get them for $140 a pair.
I already know what I want it terms of speakers...Thanks though

So how much is an empty 2x12 relly worth. Am I paying for the name, or is there really going to be an advantage for me to get an unloaded Avatar for like $125 or an unloaded no-name brand off ebay for like $75 or something. Will build quality really help my tone?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!