Right now I have a Crate V50, which is too loud for just playing in the house, and just isn't the kind of amp I want. So now I'm looking for a smaller tube amp, preferably a combo but it's not really important. I'm also looking for an amp with a headphone jack, but again it's not really necessary.

I tried out the Vox Night train (the 2w one) and I liked how it sounded, any suggestions for other tube amps in the $300 price range to try out?

Any opinions on the Blackheart BH5, the Blackstar Ht-5 or the Bugera V5 compared to the Vox?
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
What genres do you play?

What's most important, clean tone or distortion?

Do you need an amp that takes pedals well?

Will you gig out with it (assuming no but checking anyway)?

Does it have to be tube?

Are you looking for only new or used also?
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
What genres do you play?

What's most important, clean tone or distortion?

Do you need an amp that takes pedals well?

Will you gig out with it (assuming no but checking anyway)?

Does it have to be tube?

Are you looking for only new or used also?

I play a little bit of everything, so both clean and distorted is important but I will probably use one of my distortion pedals for that. Other than that I probably won't be using any other pedals, and I won't be gigging with it. I'd prefer it to be tube but if there are far better solid state amps I will consider them. Also going used it not a problem at all.
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
So I haven't heard any of these in person except the VHT and the Epi Valve Jr, but here is a list of <20 watt tube amps you could try to locate and try. Or check out YouTube demos. Some are out of your price range unless you find a good used deal.

Epiphone Valve Jr, Valve Special, Valve Jr Hot Rodded
Ibanez TSA15 (complete with tube screamer included inside)
VHT Special 6, Classic 6, Special 6 Ultra
Blackheart HT-1, HT-5
Orange AD5
Vox AC4TV
Fender Pro Jr., Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
Marshall Class 5
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
I have a Blackstar HT-5 and the only knocks I have about it is the clean channel
it sounds lifeless to me but I play half the time on my buddy's dad's Fender Reverb Deluxe so maybe it just pales in comparision
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
The VHT clean channel is very nice. So is the distortion.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
The VHT clean channel is very nice. So is the distortion.

I watched a couple videos of the VHT and it sound awesome ! I don't know of any shops around here that would have one but I might be going to the states soon so I'll definitely check it out as well as some others on the list you gave me
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
Hey again,

I put an ad in Kijiji for a tube amp and i have a couple of options.
I was offered
An Epiphone Valve special combo for 250$
A modded Valve Jr. Head for 200$
A Traynor YCV20WR combo for 350$
An old 50s or 60s Omega amp for 295$

Does anyone have experience with either the traynor or valve special? And does anyone know anything about old Omega amps?
BEEP

<_<

>_>

Beeeeeeeeep
Blues Junior could be on that list as well.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have the Blues Jr and it's great. Not too loud, excellent cleans, and works great with pedals. And very light (14kg)

The reverb is terrible though.