Budget: @1000

Genre: I play some hard rock and punk, but metal is in my veins. BLS/the Sword/Mastodon are a few of my favs off the top of my head.

New/Used: I want the best amp for my budget, doesn't matter if it's new or used to me.

Home/Gig: Both, I'm starting up a small band. We won't be playing any areanas anytime soon, but maybe a small club or three.

Right now I'm rocking the peavey rage 158 I bought when I was 15 (lol).

I had a Crate Blue Voodoo that I really liked several years ago, but I had to sell it. I've been looking at the Peavey vavleking 100w head and have heard good things and I've also considered buying another used Blue Voodoo. I've also seen a few Randalls that look promising, but all my buddys tell me to stay away from ss amps and I can't find a Randall locally (Houston) to try out. Any suggestions? My ideal amp would be something with Pantera esc beef that I could still bust out a Skynrd lead on. Thanks for looking.
I want to say a Peavey XXX or JSX (both w/ EL34s). Something versatile, but with a British flavor. I personally wouldn't recommend any of the amps you're considering with a budget that big.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, a Marshall would obviously nail the Mastodon tone (since they play Marshall, duh).

Otherwise, I'm thinking a used 5150 of sorts should get you a long way and still let you buy a nice cab. Really great amp imo.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Last edited by Eskil Rask at Apr 13, 2011,
mastodon have also been known to play orange as well. as far as the amp you are after definitely go tube amp, and for around a 1000 you can get a great combo and then mic it. or you can buy a good head now and save up for the cab.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Egnater Renegade.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I'm assuming the @ is a misshapen $.

Look for a used JCM800 head and get a nice 2x12. You could also go for one of the JCM800 combos- they're nice but not the same. Get a boost and possibly a nice fuzz for Mastodon and you're set.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Marshall Jvm205 or 210....
really great for heavy stuff, avenged sevenfold use them soo...
Irons
Well for the longest time Dimebag used to swear by Randall amps, SOLID STATE amps even, take that you tube lovers! It wasn't until 2004 and I think Damageplan that he switched over to Krank amps. You leave this pretty open for interpretation though, you state what you intend to use the amp for and the style of music you play, but what effects do you have or use?

My "practice" amp recently got replaced with a Fender Mustang III, I went in with my eye set on the Line 6 Spider IV 75W but after talking to my faithful guitar guru he pointed me in the direction of the Fender. I did some comparing and played the floor models of both, yes the Line 6 was a nice amp but it wasn't as loud, did not do any of the modeling but did have jam tracks. The Line 6 is very well suited to metal and chunkier music, but doesn't play well with clean tones; whereas the Fender can't quite keep up as good with the Line 6 on really chunky stuff the clean channels were freaking amazing. The final selling point was the price I snagged the Mustang III for $309 where the Line 6 was going for $450.

The Mustang III is 100W constant through a single Celestion 12" speaker and can go REAL loud, I could use this amp for small shows if I really wanted to. What sold me is its a modeling amp, I know some people hate them but they are just stuck in the past, this beast has 100 different "channels" as I call them each one emulates some kind of amplifier sound be it a classic '65 Fender or a raunchy '80s British Amp (think Marshall) at the push of a foot switch. Each one can then be customized by yourself or you can download other peoples settings via the Fender web page, its very in depth you can set effects before the amp or after the amp in the effects loop its quite astounding. Pretty much plug and play you can even record directly off your amplifier onto your computer using the included copy of Ableton Live 8 Lite Fender Edition. I am so pleased at the output and versatility of this little practice amp that I am now planning on grabbing the 100W Mustang V head and the 4x12 cab to go with it, with a $700 price tag for the two and how well the Mustang III has been I think its a solid decision.
Quote by ne14t
Well for the longest time Dimebag used to swear by Randall amps, SOLID STATE amps even, take that you tube lovers! It wasn't until 2004 and I think Damageplan that he switched over to Krank amps. You leave this pretty open for interpretation though, you state what you intend to use the amp for and the style of music you play, but what effects do you have or use?

My "practice" amp recently got replaced with a Fender Mustang III, I went in with my eye set on the Line 6 Spider IV 75W but after talking to my faithful guitar guru he pointed me in the direction of the Fender. I did some comparing and played the floor models of both, yes the Line 6 was a nice amp but it wasn't as loud, did not do any of the modeling but did have jam tracks. The Line 6 is very well suited to metal and chunkier music, but doesn't play well with clean tones; whereas the Fender can't quite keep up as good with the Line 6 on really chunky stuff the clean channels were freaking amazing. The final selling point was the price I snagged the Mustang III for $309 where the Line 6 was going for $450.

The Mustang III is 100W constant through a single Celestion 12" speaker and can go REAL loud, I could use this amp for small shows if I really wanted to. What sold me is its a modeling amp, I know some people hate them but they are just stuck in the past, this beast has 100 different "channels" as I call them each one emulates some kind of amplifier sound be it a classic '65 Fender or a raunchy '80s British Amp (think Marshall) at the push of a foot switch. Each one can then be customized by yourself or you can download other peoples settings via the Fender web page, its very in depth you can set effects before the amp or after the amp in the effects loop its quite astounding. Pretty much plug and play you can even record directly off your amplifier onto your computer using the included copy of Ableton Live 8 Lite Fender Edition. I am so pleased at the output and versatility of this little practice amp that I am now planning on grabbing the 100W Mustang V head and the 4x12 cab to go with it, with a $700 price tag for the two and how well the Mustang III has been I think its a solid decision.

hes not talking about dime. why are you ranting about all that junk?

the best way i can describe it:

he likes bands that go BOWWWW. you can only get this type of BOWWWW with tubes. I recommended the renegade because my friend has it, it is currently in my basement, it is absolutely great for these tones. its extremely versatile as well.

i would rec an orange but way too far off his budget. marshall will work for the mastodon tone on their recent album, but def wont get you the BOWWW of the sword or any of those types of bands. it might get you BLS but its kind of a stretch unless you go higher end marshall or use a pedal. you like thick tones correct? marshall sound very good dont get me wrong but lose in a battle of thickness to alot of brands. theyll get you a more aggressive avenged(even tho he didnt mention them, ^) ish tone or anything closer to thrash, but i dont think youll get the bowwww or TONE out of them that you want. a mesa rectifier will also get you a pretty decent tone like that, but id say you want to look for a single rec, maybe used for your budget. or at least they were around that price last time i looked a few months ago. trust me my friends and i love these types of bands/tones my friend especially its all hes ever looked for in an amp.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Thanks for all the suggestions I will check them out in more detail when I get off work.

a few quick things:

@= around. I could prob go a little over if it was something great, and I don't have a cab.

I would love to pick up a Marshall or an Orange, but they are over my budget down here (Houston, TX), maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot? (guitarcenter/musicansfreind). Unless you think 50w is enough for small gigs?

I have a boss metalzone in the closet somewhere I think, other than that I am kind of starting over. My guitar is a ltd EC-401 with EMG 81s.

Thanks everyone, and I'll look at the specific amps you suggested in a few hours!!!
i think you have a EMG 81 and EMG 60

and why don't you try to get the blue voodoo, when you liked the tone a lot?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
50 watts is plenty for small gigs. the renegade that i suggested is a 65 watt head its more than enough. anything big youre micd anyway. once you get a nice amp you wont ever want to look at the metalzone again.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by ne14t

wow your guitar center salesman deserves an award for the one he pulled on you
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by winterXsolstice
check out engal, bugara and some of the newer peaveys

Engl* Bugera*

Engl would be worth checking into at least, itll get you a more marshally tone generally, but they are their own thing really. bugera, not really a fan and theyre unreliable, but check them out if you want. id skip it tho, your budget is high enough you dont need to waste time with them. peavey, are good amps, id say check the valveking first, my one friend gets a pretty decent tone out of his and its in the realm you mentioned. but again, with your budget you could do better. i have less experience with the 5150/6505 etc but i dont think its really what youre looking for. try it anyway tho.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Shayne777
wow your guitar center salesman deserves an award for the one he pulled on you

Actually no he doesn't I sat down and played both amps, infact the salesman left and went home before I even made my decision so he didn't even get the sale on it, he just pointed out a second choice in an amp, sure the Line 6 looked great on paper and sounded nice in the store but it didn't fit my style. I made my choice because my guitar will see upwards of four different tunes in one day to play every genre of music possible. Why the hell would I buy an amp that can only play chunky sounds when I want to turn around and play some blues? For serious playing I use a Marshall 1960A and a TSL100 head. The head unit rolls in at $2016 and the 1960A rolls in at $895, far from cheap and to boot I cant play it that often because its so loud it pisses all my neighbours off.

It's all based on personal preference. Is there a tone difference between my 1960A and my Mustang III trying to emulate a Marshall cab, of course there is, but the difference is smaller then you would think.
still, this thread isnt about your practice amp, dimebag derrel, his preference for solid state dirt bag heads, or your marshall tsl. idk what got you started on all that. you cant BOWWWW with a fender, and you cant gig(which is what hes looking for, not a practice amp) with a line 6(without sounding horrible). or a dime transistor head. you cant really BOWWW with any dime head really. trust me, ive had personal experience with all of these amps.

at least make him a recommendation like the rest of us
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Wow thanks for all the feedback.

Yes my ltd has a 81 and a 60

I am still considering a used voodoo, I can prob pick one up for $400 or so, but I think I want to try something new. The voodoo is kind of my fall back, and I'd have to find one that wasn't too beat.

The renagade sounded pretty good on the demos I found, but for the same price I can get a 100w peavey. Think it's better?

I have been doing some research and I'm leaning towards one of the Peaveys (xxx, 6505, 5150) all of wich I can get for around $700~$800. Does anyone own or have experience with these?

Also, does the vavleking suck? I can get a brand spankin new one for 500.

Thanks again guys.
Quote by thebigkirbousky
Wow thanks for all the feedback.

Yes my ltd has a 81 and a 60

I am still considering a used voodoo, I can prob pick one up for $400 or so, but I think I want to try something new. The voodoo is kind of my fall back, and I'd have to find one that wasn't too beat.

The renagade sounded pretty good on the demos I found, but for the same price I can get a 100w peavey. Think it's better?

I have been doing some research and I'm leaning towards one of the Peaveys (xxx, 6505, 5150) all of wich I can get for around $700~$800. Does anyone own or have experience with these?

Also, does the vavleking suck? I can get a brand spankin new one for 500.

Thanks again guys.

I haven't played a Valveking before but from what I hear the distortion is kinda muddy and wouldn't be able to get the kinda tones you want
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
I'd avoid a Valveking; they're not so good for overdriven tones, and if you're going to upgrade, there's no point in taking baby steps. It may be hard to get a good tube amp with enough distortion on it's own to rip out pantera on your budget. A used Peavey XXX might take care of it if you can find one (used JSX combo would also work). Another idea would be to look into getting a moderate gain tube combo and an overdrive pedal to boost it as needed for the heavier tones. Carvin's V3MC (50w tube combo) is pretty versatile, and will handle the metal tones. You can get one of those new for around $800, but there aren't too many Carvin dealers. It's pretty much an order online thing, but if you don't like it, you have 10 days to return it for full refund.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Last edited by nic_2090 at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by Eskil Rask
Well, a Marshall would obviously nail the Mastodon tone (since they play Marshall, duh).

Otherwise, I'm thinking a used 5150 of sorts should get you a long way and still let you buy a nice cab. Really great amp imo.

I thought Mastodon used Oranges

EDIT: I just checked. They use both.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Last edited by OliOsbourne at Apr 14, 2011,
be patient and look for a VHT deliverance if you only need one channel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I dont like the valve king, it sounded thin to me, but its just me =) i hear some people reall ylike it and boost it but i never boosted that amp. To each his own
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
No idea what the prices are like down your way, but surprised a Blackstar Stage 60 hasn't been mentioned as a new amp. Pretty versatile amps with good cleans, 3 channels I think and can do high gain. A couple of ex-marshall employees are basically making "marshall killers"

Peavey 6505s are solid metal amps too, but more Bullet for My Valentine style as opposed to BLS and Mastodon.

Ohh, and 50 watts is plenty for a small gig.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 14, 2011,
You really seem like you want a British voiced amp. An Orange Thunder 30 would fit you well, but I'm not sure about the prices in the states, it might be a bit too much. A Marshall JCM 800 would work, but then again they would probably be too expensive, and you'd have to be able to crank it really loud. I think the Blackstar HT-40 or 60 might work for you, as recommended above me.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by ne14t
Well for the longest time Dimebag used to swear by Randall amps, SOLID STATE amps even, take that you tube lovers!

Dimebag's tone also, SUCKED.

yeah...I said it.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
I would look into these amps:

Peavey 5150/6505
Peavey Ultra Plus
Peavey XXX/ JSX
Peavey 3120
Marshall JCM800/900/2000
Jet City JCA100H
Bugera 6260
Bugera 6262
Bugera 333XL
Bugera 1990

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by New_Crisis
I would look into these amps:

Peavey 5150/6505
Peavey Ultra Plus
Peavey XXX/ JSX
Peavey 3120
Marshall JCM800/900/2000
Jet City JCA100H
Bugera 6260
Bugera 6262
Bugera 333XL
Bugera 1990

+1
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
if you are looking for a blue voodoo they go for under 400 all the time. there are two on ebay up right now for like 300.

in addition to the post of New_Crisis

+100 to the 3120 its a beast
also look for an old peavey vtm60 its the 5150's daddy. they go on the cheap all the time they are a one channel beast with a customizable voicing section.

i want one as a backup right now SOOO bad
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
The answer to this would be a Splawn but that aint gonna happen within budget.
This is in your neck of the woods for $600. I'd buy it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220743455502
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 on the traynor. Pair that with a good overdrive pedal and you'll have an incredibly versatile set-up. I'm playing through a Traynor YCV50 right now and it's fantastic.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Ok I think i've narrowed it down to a few different amps.

Orange Dual Terror (30w) $849 and I have to get a cab
Blackstar HT 100w head $849 plus the cab as well
Blackstar HT 60 stage combo (60w) $899
Peavey 6505 head (120w) $999new, $869used plus cab
Peavey 6505 112 combo (60w) $599

I really like the veratility of the blackstars, the orange is great (but is 30w enough), and the Peavey def sounds the most metal. Out of these what do you guys think? If it get one of the heads it will be a while before I can spring for a decent cab. Thanks again!
Quote by Linqua5150
Egnater Renegade.

^This
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...