I'm new to piano, and as such don't really have any idea on how to mic it for a good quality recording. Yes, I'm aware this is a guitar based website, but I've got to believe some of us play piano on here.

If I'm using this piano (Baldwin Acrosonic) -

what mic placement would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I never recorded piano like that, but when I'm recording a grand piano I usually put 2 mic near the strings ; one near the lower section and one near the higher section at about 6'' - 12'' from the strings, and I put 2 pickups directly under the piano! I hope that it will help a little bit!!
The only difference between that (an upright piano) and a grand piano is that (correct me if I'm wrong) the strings are shorter so they may be placed in a more compact enclosure, and are vertical instead of horizontal. So if you open up the top of the piano, you could place mics in an XY pattern above, with one angled to the lower end and one to the higher end.

As for placing pickups (do you mean piezo/transducer pickups under the strings?), it is considerably harder to get to the strings in an upright without taking the backboard off completely I imagine.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Thanks for the responses so far - I don't have pickups to add to the piano, and as it's not mine, I don't want to pull it apart, so I'll just be mic'ing. I'll probably start out with popping the top and mic'ing from there.

Feel free to continue suggestions, though, as I'm far from knowledgeable on this topic.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
If you are using cardiod mics and pointing them at the strings, you're not going to get a balanced sound. For instance, you might get the low notes in one mic and the high notes in another, but the middle notes will be out-of-balance with the rest.

I'd suggest either a pair of omni mics closer to the strings, or something more cardiod and mic the room. As long as your room isn't too hollow sounding, you'll probably get your best results that way.

I would also suggest small-diaphragm or medium-diaphragm too, for that application. You'll want more accuracy if you're that close up, I expect.

As always, the closer to the source, the less "room" you get in the mics. Maybe set the mics up, say, 6 ft from the piano and start there?

If you're setting up mics in the room, then perhaps something with a larger diaphragm would be okay.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.