Hey guys! Im playing Born to be Wild with my school big band and im having one of the solos. (in the studio version there´s 2 organ solos)

The problem is I find it quiet hard to solo over just one chord. The chord under the solos is just a C7 over and over again and I cant seem to get the blues scale right, and im also runnig out of licks in lightning speed.. Do you have any tips what to do? and do you have a good way of learning licks btw?
You could use licks from Jimi Hendrix or whoever your favorite guitarist is, and transpose them to key.. or you could go improvising chromaticly, but making sure every lick ends on either C, E, G or A#.. the last one is the hardest
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Are they playing it in some weird key because there's no C7 chords anywhere in that song

The original recording is in the key of Em, and as far as improvising goes it's just Em/Em pentatonic anywhere in the song. If it's that instrumental breakdown then I've always riffed on a E7#9 for that bit, although an E7 would work - if they've transposed the song to Cm then obviously just solo in C minor.

I don't know why you don't just play/transpose the original solo tbh, it's little more than the guitar mirroring the vocal line anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

I don't know why you don't just play/transpose the original solo tbh, it's little more than the guitar mirroring the vocal line anyway.

I'm not really familiar with the solo in this song, but if that's the case, then that's probably the exact reason he doesn't want to do it. It's too obvious. He seemingly wants to show off and really make his part original and more impressive.

Personally however, I actually would just stick to the original solo. Although that's probably because I'm not very creative.
In that case just solo in Cm, use the vocal melody as your jumping off point and work some bluesy licks into things...youre effectively only playing over the tonic chord so as long as you stick to your scale it's impossible to play a bum note.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com