Tomorrow I'm playing for the first time in front of a 'big' audience (my whole school). It's for a special event, me and some friends composed a musical piece inspired by a HP Lovecraft poem.
When I think about it I know I shouldn't be nervous, cause it makes no sense, and the song is coming out pretty great, but fvck, I still think I'm gonna freak out a little.

So, I would like you to share some tips, experiences, etc about scenic panic, playing live, playing in front of big audiences, etc.
█████████████████████████
Last edited by MuffinBrain at Apr 13, 2011,
Go in well rehearsed, suck it up, do your best.

Also, important: don't freak out and worry if you mess up, chances are no one noticed. Just play through it and don't let it get to you.
Last edited by blake1221 at Apr 13, 2011,
Simply put, just don't worry about it.

About a quarter way through the first song, you won't even realize you're supposed to nervous. The adrenaline will be pumping, and before you know it, it's unfortunately time for you to get off.

I used to always get really really nervous when I first started playing live. But now, it's so easy and gives me the biggest natural high; I don't want to stop playing.

At this point in your gigging career, since it's your first time, it's extremely natural to be nervous. Just act like you own the whole ****ing school though when you walk on.

Good luck
Don't get shot in the head.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
It only the entire school, if you mess up they will only remember it forever.....

Nah I'm just kidding, do what i do, go and get your self some cheap sunglasses.... AH YEAH

can't even see the audience between the sunglasses and the stage lights.
"I have good eye-sight, insight, and foresight. How could an
intelligent hare make such a silly mistake?"
I've been playing live regularly for 6 years now, I still get nervous the first 30 seconds. Then it's pure bliss the rest of the gig. Tips-

Know your songs. I don't care how well you think you know them, if you can't take a slap in the middle of your sleep, get thrown your instrument in half and be asked to play the song 30 seconds in, you don't know it well enough. It seriously helps if you have absolute confidence that you know your shit. And if you DO screw up, you know where to jump in next.

Also, if you screw up, don't dwell on it. Happens to even the proest of pro's, and 80 percent of the time people won't notice- given that you know the song well enough to jump back correctly.

In short, PRACTICE.
jump around and make a fool of yourself. it helps loosen up. also, no energy drinks, they just make you shake and make you feel nervous when you're not.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Make sure you guys have it rehearsed to the point of it being flawless. Do an actual soundcheck to get the EQ to where it needs to be prior to playing. Play through any mistakes on stage like they were supposed to be made and no one will notice (not that they would anyway). Lastly, just have fun with it.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by jumi1174
Simply put, just don't worry about it.

About a quarter way through the first song, you won't even realize you're supposed to nervous. The adrenaline will be pumping, and before you know it, it's unfortunately time for you to get off.

I used to always get really really nervous when I first started playing live. But now, it's so easy and gives me the biggest natural high; I don't want to stop playing.

At this point in your gigging career, since it's your first time, it's extremely natural to be nervous. Just act like you own the whole ****ing school though when you walk on.

Good luck

This
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
One of my first shows was when I was 14 and I was the guitarist in the school jazz band. We had played this music evening the night before and the head master decided he wanted us to do a song the next morning in a full school and staff assembly of approximately 1700 people.

Backstage I was shitting my pants, I was very cold and worried. The brass players were sat onstage, the rhythm section were on the floor to the side. The time came, we walked out. The lights blinded me and I was suddenly very hot and sweaty. I picked up my les paul and switched on my MG50 and started the song. The saxophone solo came up and there was no saxophone, I looked up to stage my mate wasn't there. He was in the audience watching because he was shit scared.

tl;dr The first time and the last time I'd ever played to an audience of 1700 people.

OT: advice? bring a spare pair of pants
Quote by GezzyDiversion
One of my first shows was when I was 14 and I was the guitarist in the school jazz band. We had played this music evening the night before and the head master decided he wanted us to do a song the next morning in a full school and staff assembly of approximately 1700 people.

Backstage I was shitting my pants, I was very cold and worried. The brass players were sat onstage, the rhythm section were on the floor to the side. The time came, we walked out. The lights blinded me and I was suddenly very hot and sweaty. I picked up my les paul and switched on my MG50 and started the song. The saxophone solo came up and there was no saxophone, I looked up to stage my mate wasn't there. He was in the audience watching because he was shit scared.

tl;dr The first time and the last time I'd ever played to an audience of 1700 people.

OT: advice? bring a spare pair of pants

That is awful.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
It went great, I didn't get nervous at all, and we played the piece perfectly. The audience was lame (I guess I can't ask high school kids more), but the people who know and appreciate good music loved it.
We then proceeded to play a Maggot Brain jam that was fvckin great, too.

good for you! nerve-wise, gigs get better from here.

After a few years gigging I can play gigs without being nervous at all. Apart from if we play my old secondary school. It's the only place where I near shit myself every time. Everyone has their Achilles heel.
Quote by MuffinBrain
It went great, I didn't get nervous at all, and we played the piece perfectly. The audience was lame (I guess I can't ask high school kids more), but the people who know and appreciate good music loved it.
We then proceeded to play a Maggot Brain jam that was fvckin great, too.

They might have liked your performance, but rather they couldn't risk acting like they enjoyed it in front of their peers.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
What HP Lovecraft poem? If you record it, please PM me it. I love HP Lovecraft.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
You've got to realise that if you stand still the whole thing, you'll look more stupid than you would if you moved about.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
What HP Lovecraft poem? If you record it, please PM me it. I love HP Lovecraft.

It was Mirage. A teacher wanted us to do a representation of a poem, and we loved Lovecraft so we chose that one. I don't think anyone recorded it, but we're thinking of playing it again and do that.

I don't know if it reminds or bring to mind anything about the poem though, we had to change some stuff in order to make it more powerful sounding and interesting for the audience (I wasn't too pleased with this), but we (I) tried to keep the spirit of what the poem means to me.
It still was an enjoyable music piece, kind of Post-Rock/maudlin of the Well/Floyd-ish, keeping the proportions with those bands of course.

Quote by Gerard_xD
You've got to realise that if you stand still the whole thing, you'll look more stupid than you would if you moved about.

We played it sitting on the floor, not the best choice if we wanted to draw some attention
I'm always a wreck before/after a show, but I put on my best performance during the show. Like, I could lay down an awesome solo in practice, but I'll forget about it once I get on stage, and my improv ends up being better than the lick I had practiced in the first place. My adrenaline just takes over. Its all about getting into that zone, and once you do its an awesome feeling. I always know I'm in the zone because time seems to go really slow. Like it'll be a 4 minute song and feel like a 6 minute song.

Last time I was on stage, a bunch of drunk people were falling all over my gear, hitting on my girlfriend and her mom, etc. There's even a video of me kicking one in the ass to get him away from knocking me over/****ing up the equipment.

Really, its kind of weird if things go too perfect. Like, you kind of need that adversity, be it drunk people or an out of tune string or what have you. If you can rise above that stuff, then you are a true performer. Most people don't know enough about music to even notice when something goes wrong, its only if you that you're rattled/react to it/ let it get to you. Some people might notice, if they are guitar players or know the song really well or something, but most people are just stoked to be seeing a band. If you don't show it, they won't notice it. Like, instead of kicking that dude to get him away from the stage, had I punched him in the face or stopped playing or whatever, then people will notice the frustration/errors.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Last edited by TSmitty6 at Apr 14, 2011,