http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Black-Beauty-3-Electric-Guitar-100144290-i1149989.gc

The Black Beauty is my dream guitar. For 10 years now, I have only been playing with a squier strat starter pack.

Last week I barely got a Line 6 Spider IV HD150 + 412 cab halfstack.

Would the $800 be worth it for an Epiphone or should I choose something cheaper.

It took 10 years to upgrade my amp. Now I'm looking to upgrade my guitar, desperatly.
Sure looks like a beauty. I have no experiance with the Black Beauty, guitar center is so far from me about an hour, so I rarley get to test out guitars. I would say go for it, fast.

Whoaa triple gold humbuckers thats some craziness...
Quote by jypsyseeker!
Sure looks like a beauty. I have no experiance with the Black Beauty, guitar center is so far from me about an hour, so I rarley get to test out guitars. I would say go for it, fast.

Whoaa triple gold humbuckers thats some craziness...

What kind of a reply is this? And if you know nothing about it are you telling him to buy it?
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
Last edited by Talk Box at Apr 13, 2011,
You can do better, Epiphones are nice but the black beauty is a bit much. But by all means you have to like it, just because I don't doesn't mean you shouldn't get it.
What do you play mostly?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Ah the Peter Frampton guitar. These things are BEAUTIFUL and extremely LOUD, for a little history on it the Black Beauty is Epi's version of the Gibson Custom shop model, its probably one of the better Epi's you can snag, sometimes for a sweet deal. If you are big on the classic rock I would say yeah go for it, but if you are more into playing metal and stuff the third bucker might pose some problems but thats just because I have not played a three bucker guitar before, but I know two pup's are always on.
I played in a band with a guy who had one of those. It's a boss guitar. I can't say much for or against the sound because he was using it with a really cheap Line 6 (I'm not dissing Line 6; their high-end stuff like what the OP has is really good, but the basic Spiders sound awful). However, in my experience the high-end Epiphones play as well as Gibsons, especially if you get them set up.

If you like Les Pauls, I'd say go for it.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by Talk Box
What kind of a reply is this? And if you know nothing about it are you telling him to buy it?

It's an honest to goodness, truthfullness, to virtuous reply by me to be frank. Never played the beauty. I told him to buy it first to stimulate the economy, second he should really get on this before taxes get raised, seven hundred some odd dollars times some odd percent is a lot. THIRD because he was doubting his brain in buying his DREAM guitar...
i mean if its your dream guitar....

but no epiphone is worth 800 quite frankly. its not going to be any different than a 400-500 dollar one. it will just be heavier cause of the 3rd pickup, and the parts are all the same. so its just going to be a heavier version of a custom really.

i mean it will be marginally better quality because its a high end epi, but again. for 800? hell no.

in my opinion, with the used market the way it is, i would not pay over 450-500 for ANY epiphone (unless it was a signature with aftermarket pickups etc)

honestly man, can you return your amp still? if i were you i would return your amp. even that amp isnt very good for the money. according to musicians freind, its about 650 + 800 = 1450. thats a lot of money. you could easily buy a used epiphone (i bought my custom for 400. try to find a black one).

then buy a 600-800 dollar tube amp. a decdent one is possible for that, smaller configuration. almost nobody needs a halfstack these days. THEN, spend the rest on pedals.

Not trying to shoot down your dreams, but what im telling you will ultimately give you a FAR FAR FAR better tone, higher quality setup, and quite frankly a used custom for 400 is going to be just about the same as the 800 black beauty.

line 6 makes acceptable tube amps, but ALL of thier solid states sound bad. just trying to help you out, but the road your going = a loud, low quality amp with an overpriced guitar.

if anything, just get a different epihpone and save about 300-400 bucks.
Last edited by ikey_ at Apr 13, 2011,
Thanks for the feedback guys.

To elaborate on my original post. My parents bought me the squier strat pack about 10 years ago. So basically all I've ever played with/out of is a squier strat and a 15w fender frontman practice amp.

The amp I bought that I mentioned above is this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-HD150-150W-and-4x12-Guitar-Half-Stack-502594-i1470629.gc

Metallica is my main influence, but I also like to play in drop C (System of a Down) and drop B (Slipknot). I also recently became the lead guitarist in a gigging hard rock band, which is why I need these upgrades.

If I was smart, I should just go with a simpler $500 Epiphone like this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar-105939029-i1515777.gc

The pick-ups on it look horrible though with the two colors.
I think it would be a smarter move to go for the cheaper one and upgrade the pickups, they're similar body constructions so the difference in sound won't be enourmous between the two guitars, especially if you're playing in drop C and playing alot of metal.
Invest in the cheaper les paul and upgrade to Seymour Duncan blackout pickups maybe? Depends if you want passive or active pickups.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
one of my friends has a black beauty, its a nice guitar

personally speaking, i would only get it if i would change the pickup into one of the seymour duncan p-90's.

the middle pickup is the same as the neck pickup (if i'm not incorrect). so you it sounds really similar, and basically gets the guitar alot hotter, and not more dynamic.
^For drop C and Slipknot?
Yeah. Go ahead.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
You can get a nice guitar for way less than $800. I think a $800 guitar is about 9% better than a $200 guitar. There is a lot of difference between a 100 and 200. (and going from 800 to 4500 adds another 12%) And just cuz a guitar comes with one thing or another doesn't mean you cant change it. I replaced all the boring black hardware on my cheap Epi with shiny chrome stuff and I think it looks way better. The chrome bits cost me way less than $100.

Go to the store and play the thing, then follow your heart. Dont assume that more money always means a better guitar. But if you really love it, logic and sage advice is what you Dont need. It really is an emotional decision.
Quote by 00_hns_00
personally speaking, i would only get it if i would change the pickup into one of the seymour duncan p-90's.

That would be quite a monster. A rippin single coil in the middle incased by two golden humbuckers
For 800$ you can do much better, you can even buy a Gibson for less than 800$ if you are into Gibson style guitars.

Also you bought a pretty bad amp.
Quote by RebuildIt
You can get a nice guitar for way less than $800. I think a $800 guitar is about 9% better than a $200 guitar. There is a lot of difference between a 100 and 200. (and going from 800 to 4500 adds another 12%) And just cuz a guitar comes with one thing or another doesn't mean you cant change it. I replaced all the boring black hardware on my cheap Epi with shiny chrome stuff and I think it looks way better. The chrome bits cost me way less than $100.

Go to the store and play the thing, then follow your heart. Dont assume that more money always means a better guitar. But if you really love it, logic and sage advice is what you Dont need. It really is an emotional decision.

Please, explain where you have got those numbers, b'cuz i think thats one of the worst statements I have seen in a Veeeery long time. You cannot tell me that there is absolutely no reason for those price diffrences. A 3k Gibson is atleast 90% better as a 300 dollar Epiphone. As far as you could speak of percentages.

Gibson made his name by excellent quality, sound and craftsmanship.
Or over 10 million Gibson buyers are all wrong, or you are.
Quote by Dennis_SG
Please, explain where you have got those numbers, b'cuz i think thats one of the worst statements I have seen in a Veeeery long time. You cannot tell me that there is absolutely no reason for those price diffrences. A 3k Gibson is atleast 90% better as a 300 dollar Epiphone. As far as you could speak of percentages.

Gibson made his name by excellent quality, sound and craftsmanship.
Or over 10 million Gibson buyers are all wrong, or you are.

Hey, don't you know that making up statistics and using numbers in conjunction with the "%" symbol make your statements MUCH MUCH more professionel and trustworthy looking?
Quote by JesusCrisp
Hey, don't you know that making up statistics and using numbers in conjunction with the "%" symbol make your statements MUCH MUCH more professionel and trustworthy looking?

So by saying this, you indirectly say to us that you just said a percentage cuz it looks interesting?

God dont listen to this guy.
With that style of music I would say get the Les Paul and toss some Blackouts or EMGs into it, that will suit playing metal WAY more then the Black Beauty. And to the person who said the Black Beauty is not worth $800 you should see what the actual Gibson Custom Shop model goes for and you will understand, this is a artist series guitar (Peter Frampton), certainly not your average mid-grade Epiphone. Oh and the pickups in the Les Paul you listed there are two different colors cause they are Epiphone's version of the Burstbucker3
Quote by Dennis_SG
So by saying this, you indirectly say to us that you just said a percentage cuz it looks interesting?

God dont listen to this guy.

First of all it wasn't me who made up those percentage, look who posted.

And secondly you fail at detecting sarcasm.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-106347180-i1149998.gc

thats basically your dream guitar without the third pickup. you can get em far cheaper used. but yes, thats a better decision. if you think about it, the 3rd pickup is pretty much pointless anyways. only way i would want it is custom wiring to allow it to be played by itself. the way it is 2 pickups must be on at the same time. this is acutally limiting in terms of putting coil taps on etc. reduced total number of possible options by not singling out pickups.

i think its dumb. and it adds weight to an already heavy guitar. thats just me though.